Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 12:36 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times

Advertisements

OP...I would say the Prescott area is the best bet in AZ for moderate climate. Here's some demographics:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prescott,_Arizona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 01:38 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
Prescott and PV are your best bets for moderate weather with 4 seasons.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:16 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I've always said that Nogales has the most moderate climate in the state, if Phoenix had Nogales' weather, we would probably be a 2nd LA (i.e. prob 15-20million people would live here as well)
I don't know about the whole state but, Nogales does have nice weather. Low 90s in the summer, low 60s in the winter...

I feel like almost every city in the state has better weather than Phoenix and Tucson, haha. Sedona, Flagstaff, Prescott, Payson, Nogales, Bisbee, etc. They are all better than Tucson and Phoenix.

Another thing about SE Arizona is that it's really the only part of the state that can actually be called "hilly" or so. Nogales and Bisbee for an example both have hills in their city. Most other cities or towns in this state sit in a valley with tall mountains in the background, you can't say that for Bisbee and Nogales. You also have some of the best access to mountains (Sky Islands), history, and geologic (lots of caves) features in the whole state. The Sonora Desert is also even prettier in this part of the state than anywhere else.

It's kind of a shame SE Arizona is so... well, the way it is. Economically depressed and unknown.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:21 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
I'd go with Nogales, Sierra Vista/Benson, Prescott, Globe, Payson

Each of those is very different from one another.

Since you said major city, I'd limit you to Phoenix and Tucson, neither has a moderate climate by any means. Although, plainly I felt Tucson was noticeably cooler in the Summer than Phoenix is.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:37 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I don't know about the whole state but, Nogales does have nice weather. Low 90s in the summer, low 60s in the winter...

I feel like almost every city in the state has better weather than Phoenix and Tucson, haha. Sedona, Flagstaff, Prescott, Payson, Nogales, Bisbee, etc. They are all better than Tucson and Phoenix.

Another thing about SE Arizona is that it's really the only part of the state that can actually be called "hilly" or so. Nogales and Bisbee for an example both have hills in their city. Most other cities or towns in this state sit in a valley with tall mountains in the background, you can't say that for Bisbee and Nogales. You also have some of the best access to mountains (Sky Islands), history, and geologic (lots of caves) features in the whole state. The Sonora Desert is also even prettier in this part of the state than anywhere else.

It's kind of a shame SE Arizona is so... well, the way it is. Economically depressed and unknown.
Agreed since IMHO Cochise County has the best weather of all counties here in Arizona. But being next to Mexico ain't helping IMHO.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:16 PM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
San Diego. Best climate in the NATION, hands down.
Totally agree and also has very low crime rate for a big city....if you can afford it, it's worth it.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:09 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
we haven't heard back yet from the OP, but Prickly Pear's post (post #2) is very important.....the OP indicated a desire to avoid both hot and cold.....no place in Arizona can meet both those needs.....only a location near an ocean in the mid-latitudes will be temperate.....

if the OP insists on an Arizona locale, any place at about 5-6000' elevation might come close, but it will be cool or cold in the winter (except maybe in the direct sun at 3pm!!)

also, OP, remember that even stepping from sun to shade here in the low humidity is a big change

Old 09-06-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
we haven't heard back yet from the OP, but Prickly Pear's post (post #2) is very important.....the OP indicated a desire to avoid both hot and cold.....no place in Arizona can meet both those needs.....only a location near an ocean in the mid-latitudes will be temperate.....

if the OP insists on an Arizona locale, any place at about 5-6000' elevation might come close, but it will be cool or cold in the winter (except maybe in the direct sun at 3pm!!)

also, OP, remember that even stepping from sun to shade here in the low humidity is a big change
Yes shade helps...

And another thing I should mention, is I do a lot of walking in high noon even during the summer. I start regretting every decision I have ever made at around 95 degrees and up out here in the desert. In humid weather on the other hand, that is roughly 75 degrees. So that is a twenty degree difference for me, as a heat intolerant person, on what is acceptable maximum limits (before again, hating myself but I get through it somehow, we as humans are a strong species). OP should consider that when making a decision to live out here, that what feels hot out East may feel like paradise out here at the same temperature values.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed since IMHO Cochise County has the best weather of all counties here in Arizona. But being next to Mexico ain't helping IMHO.
I personally prefer Flag's weather but I totally get why people like Cochise. I wouldn't say all of Coconino though because Page was only tolerable, not preferable, at least when I was there in a summer once.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:27 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I personally prefer Flag's weather but I totally get why people like Cochise. I wouldn't say all of Coconino though because Page was only tolerable, not preferable, at least when I was there in a summer once.
Page is the most 'continental' climate in the state/least moderate. They actually get colder than Flagstaff in December and early January, thanks to temperature inversion, while in July, they are 3,000ft lower, and get less clouds and rain than Flag, making them 15° hotter that time of year.

And Nogales is in Santa Cruz county btw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona