Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 10:46 AM

196 posts, read 621,115 times

Advertisements

For me California is not an option.... I have visited SD LA and spent 2 months on work assignment in SF. Love SD yes the weather is great and love the views but I am not made for that political climate. Home prices are a consideration but I am not a HOA kimd of person, I would need to find housing somewhere outside of the city 1-5 acres we currently have 30 acres and a 7k sq ft home. We need to downsize, we built for my mother so she actually had about 1800 sq ft for herself on one side of the house connected by a hallway but she passed away 2 years after we moved in. Who would have known....if we did we would have never built so much more for herself. Now we have way too much of a home. We will either sell quickly or it will take forever! That is my #1 worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 11:41 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,737,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
1. Buy a house in Prescott. Moderate temps, four seasons, high altitude, low crime.

2. With the money you've saved by living in Arizona, spend a couple of weeks every year vacationing at a very nice resort in San Diego. Or buy a boat/RV/trailer and enjoy everything Arizona has to offer outdoors.

3. Problem solved.
SE Arizona is more moderate than Prescott, Prescott still gets cold and snow in the winter

Old 09-20-2016, 01:27 PM

15,259 posts, read 13,094,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
SE Arizona is more moderate than Prescott, Prescott still gets cold and snow in the winter
Not very much cold (low 50s) and not very much snow (about 12 inches a year). Just enough so you know it's winter. That's what I mean by four season weather. And the snow usually melts the same day.

It's nothing like Flagstaff, for example.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRich View Post
we built for my mother so she actually had about 1800 sq ft for herself on one side of the house connected by a hallway but she passed away 2 years after we moved in. Who would have known....
I am so sorry. I just lost my mother-in-law; she was a mother to me. We had just celebrated her 90th birthday.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Not very much cold (low 50s) and not very much snow (about 12 inches a year). Just enough so you know it's winter. That's what I mean by four season weather. And the snow usually melts the same day.

It's nothing like Flagstaff, for example.
Average high is in the low 50's, they get several winter days with highs in the 30's and 40's, just averages can be misleading

Old 09-20-2016, 05:55 PM

6,320 posts, read 6,893,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Wanting to live somewhere and being able to afford it are two different things. San Diego is very nice.

Here is a nice home in San Diego on a 3,700 square foot lot. Asking price is $649,000.

12032 Caminito Ryone, San Diego, CA 92128 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Here is one in Surprise that is on a 6,200 square foot lot and the asking price is $200,000.

15961 W Statler St, Surprise, AZ 85374 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Here is a home in my area in lowly little Oxnard CA that is listed for $506,000

1810 Jeannette Dr, Oxnard, CA 93030 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Here is one in New Mexico for $290,000

7528 Rio Salado Ct Nw, Albuquerque, NM 87120 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

So tell me. Is price a consideration? I have to tell you that if we were in the market again for a home we would not even be looking in my area. San Diego would not be on our radar either. Many people come from other parts of the Nation and can not get over the idea of living in a home that is if you are lucky, 10 feet away from the next door neighbors home. I know of similar neighborhoods in the Phoenix area where the homes are close together.
My parent's house is almost identical to the one you linked in Oxnard. It's half price though in Glendale, AZ

Old 09-20-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Average high is in the low 50's, they get several winter days with highs in the 30's and 40's, just averages can be misleading
What is this compulsion you have to argue with people? Always-have-to-be-right-itis?

Old 09-20-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
What is this compulsion you have to argue with people? Always-have-to-be-right-itis?
Just stating fact, not trying to argue

Old 09-21-2016, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,017 times
I am from ABQ and I think Sierra Vista has the exact same weather. About 4 seasons but all mild. It's not really a major city though.
That being said, Vail, AZ (Tucson) was amazing! A little warm but not as hot as Tucson proper or Phoenix. And we even got snow sometimes.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:04 PM

6,320 posts, read 6,893,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettSummer View Post
I am from ABQ and I think Sierra Vista has the exact same weather. About 4 seasons but all mild. It's not really a major city though.
That being said, Vail, AZ (Tucson) was amazing! A little warm but not as hot as Tucson proper or Phoenix. And we even got snow sometimes.
Tucson gets snow about once a decade. But yeah it really depends on what the OP thinks is a major city. Our small towns have the best weather, IMO, except if they are in SW Arizona or near the Colorado River, then they don't.

Vail is nice, it's not that bad of a drive from Tucson and I do believe it's slightly higher elevation, so it's slightly cooler. I know quite a few who commute to Tucson from Vail and Green Valley. Nogales is only an hour from Tucson, if you aren't relying on Tucson regularly then Nogales, Green Valley, Vail, Benson are all good places to look. But they are very rural and aren't major cities, but have better weather than a nearby major city so it's worth looking into.

Mount Wrightson and Apache Peak I heard are fun mountains to hike as they are also part of the Sky Islands, though I haven't hiked them personally. The Sky Islands all have numerous observatories which are fun to go to on occasion. Mount Graham I believe is the furthest Sky Island and you're looking at maybe an hour and a half drive from Tucson?? (Maybe?)

Mount Graham (furthest north Sky Island):
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mt...!4d-109.871521

Mount Lemmon (winter time):
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mt...4d-110.7881927

Mica Mountain (east Tucson):
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.2186...!7i8704!8i4352

Kitts Peak (by Sells, furthest west Sky Island):
https://www.google.com/maps/@31.9638...7i10240!8i5120

Mount Wrightson (near Green Valley):
https://www.google.com/maps/@31.7020...!7i5632!8i2816

Miller Peak (furthest south Sky Island in the US, near Sierra Vista):
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...4d-110.2928638

Sky Islands without google pics at their peaks:
Apache Peak
Mount Glenn
Rincon Peak
Bassett Peak
Baboquivari Peak (due south of Kitts)
Reiley Peak
Chiricahua Peak (furthest east Sky Island)

All of these are great heat escapes. Great for getting the winter "when you want to".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona