Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 09:43 PM

196 posts, read 619,476 times

Advertisements

My family is thinking of moving out west in the next 3-5 years. Starting to do research so we have time to visit several times and isolate where. We have visited Utah 2x along with New Mexico. We are looking to visit AZ next during each season to see if it works for us. Coming from the SE we understand heat and HIGH humidity, we have dealt with several weeks of 100+ temps in Moab and Santa Fe/ABQ. So far it does not seem that bad next to our 98 deg 90%+ humidity months. I say months since nights and mornings are usually just as hot and humid as the days while we have seen in the SW temps seem cool once the sun set's or before it rises much.

I have followed Flagstaff WX and it seems quite cold in the winter and cool in the summers while most other cities are just HOT :-) most of the months with a few months of cold. Any suggestions to the most temperate city's if any and what cities to avoid RE: crime ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 09:52 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRich View Post
My family is thinking of moving out west in the next 3-5 years. Starting to do research so we have time to visit several times and isolate where. We have visited Utah 2x along with New Mexico. We are looking to visit AZ next during each season to see if it works for us. Coming from the SE we understand heat and HIGH humidity, we have dealt with several weeks of 100+ temps in Moab and Santa Fe/ABQ. So far it does not seem that bad next to our 98 deg 90%+ humidity months. I say months since nights and mornings are usually just as hot and humid as the days while we have seen in the SW temps seem cool once the sun set's or before it rises much.

I have followed Flagstaff WX and it seems quite cold in the winter and cool in the summers while most other cities are just HOT :-) most of the months with a few months of cold. Any suggestions to the most temperate city's if any and what cities to avoid RE: crime ?
I'm sure you realized by now dry weather = temperature extremes. Salt Lake City for an example not only can reach 100+ temps but has terribly cold weather.

Humidity is quite literally what keeps temperatures moderate. If you don't believe me look at Seattle, WA or San Diego, CA. They all have the ocean/major bodies of water next to them, meaning they have more humidity.

If ABQ is too hot for you then I don't know what to tell you. That's one of the most moderate inland climates in the West. You can't have moderate summers and moderate winters without the coast. In other words, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

So pick one, hot summers/warm winters OR warm summers/cold winters. Unless you can afford the coast. Yes Flagstaff does get cold, and it snows until April or May with one of the highest amounts of snowfall in the whole country (especially for a city). Santa Fe has almost the same weather as Flag but a little less snow. By the way Santa Fe probably never reaches 100+. It's too high of elevation (BTW, elevation matters the most out here on weather patterns).

Old 09-04-2016, 10:08 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRich View Post

To me, Prescott is about the most moderate in the SW....cools down at night in the summer, warms to a decent daytime temp in winter.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:23 PM

455 posts, read 1,498,961 times
Others may disagree with me, but to me, Az only has 2 major cities, Phx (metro area) and Tucson. Flagstaff, Prescott, Yuma are a decent size, but not "Major Cities" compared to ABQ, SLC, etc.

Curly

Old 09-04-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
To me, Prescott is about the most moderate in the SW....cools down at night in the summer, warms to a decent daytime temp in winter.
Prescott has the same weather and elevation as ABQ. That's too hot apparently.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:36 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Prescott has the same weather and elevation as ABQ. That's too hot apparently.
Close but a bit different. I checked and the average hi/low in July in Albuquerque is 90/66 and in Prescott it's 89/60...the difference between starting the day at 60 versus 66 would make a difference for me. Prescott also gets 5 F warmer during the day in January. Prescott also average about twice the yearly rain totals. To me, either is good with Prescott a bit better.

Of course Prescott is not a city and Albuquerque arguably is a city.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Close but a bit different. I checked and the average hi/low in July in Albuquerque is 90/66 and in Prescott it's 89/60...the difference between starting the day at 60 versus 66 would make a difference for me. Prescott also gets 5 F warmer during the day in January. Prescott also average about twice the yearly rain totals. To me, either is good with Prescott a bit better.

Of course Prescott is not a city and Albuquerque arguably is a city.
Ok I see that temperature difference as miniscule. They are however both around ~5k in elevation. And you're right, Prescott is a colder Sun City these days.

This OP, and everyone else, wants a cheap California I guarantee it. But California is expensive for a reason... OP will have to give something up especially if ABQ or Prescott is too hot. Sounds like they'd only like San Francisco or Malibu.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:38 AM

604 posts, read 934,179 times
San Diego. Best climate in the NATION, hands down.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:04 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,172 times
How big a city does the OP want? Like the others said in this thread: the biggies here are Phoenix and Tucson if talking Arizona.

If talking about towns the size of Prescott but have closer to "Calif" weather, Sierra Vista's about it. Tho to be fair: 95F in Kingman ain't 95F in Chicago or Atlanta.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:10 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
How big a city does the OP want? Like the others said in this thread: the biggies here are Phoenix and Tucson if talking Arizona.

If talking about towns the size of Prescott but have closer to "Calif" weather, Sierra Vista's about it. Tho to be fair: 95F in Kingman ain't 95F in Chicago or Atlanta.
I've always said that Nogales has the most moderate climate in the state, if Phoenix had Nogales' weather, we would probably be a 2nd LA (i.e. prob 15-20million people would live here as well)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona