Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 09:10 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,306,464 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am retired and live in Sioux Falls, SD, but am thinking about exploring the possibility of living in AZ for part to maybe even all the winter. Many people from this area do snowbird down there, etc...

I have only been retired a year and last winter and also this winter will be doing some traveling oversees to help getting out of the cold weather. However, I'd like to check out possibly the Greater Phoenix area next winter. I'm just not sure how to go about it.

Here's some factors to consider and any help or direction you can give me would be great!

I'm 62, single, no kid responsibilities. I suspect for next winter I'd like to maybe rent to explore where I might be happy. It'd be nice to be in a "community" of retired folks. I'd even be interested in social activities and even dating and finding someone special (a woman) to hang out with. I'm on the youngish retirement side and don't really look or act 62...more like early 50s.....

I do jog, lift weights, etc...and would like to find a like minded group of friends to hang out with while I'm there, etc....also, there are some I will know from my home state that will winter down there so that would be a start...

I think folks from here live in various locations down there.....are there any that are "better" than others?

Any idea would be welcomed. Just not sure how to start out...perhaps rent for a month or two next winter and see what I liked etc??

Thanks for any ideas about how to get started...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 12:20 AM

44,658 posts, read 61,714,444 times
The Sun Cities are a good place to start. Here's some information to help you:

SUN CITY, ARIZONA

Arizona active adult retirement community,Sun City West,golf communities, active senior adult retirement communities, sun city west homes, sun city west rentals, best tennis retirement communities

Old 12-16-2016, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the help. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-16-2016, 12:42 PM

123 posts, read 175,781 times
Yep, sounds like Sun City/Sun City West/Sun City Grand is your place to be. Nice variety of old and new construction, a large collection of rec centers, pools, golf courses, etc, and plenty of conveniences, restaurants, and activities.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:38 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,803,555 times
Perhaps you should ask the folks around where you live where they go in AZ and pick up some ideas from them?

Rich

Old 12-16-2016, 07:47 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,241,263 times
Personally Sun City seems too old for me but I'm mid 50's.

OP, I'd suggest looking at ads for rentals and finding a place that feels right and trying it. Expect high rent for a few months in winter. Maybe even in a mobile home park.

Good luck!

Old 12-16-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Personally Sun City seems too old for me but I'm mid 50's.

OP, I'd suggest looking at ads for rentals and finding a place that feels right and trying it. Expect high rent for a few months in winter. Maybe even in a mobile home park.

Good luck!
I think Sun City will also be a little old for me, also...I'd still like a community of some sort though, but that might be hard to find if looking for an average younger age??

Old 12-16-2016, 11:11 PM

44,658 posts, read 61,714,444 times
Most of the new buyers today in the Sun Cites and the majority of other retirement communities are between the ages of 45 - 60.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:28 AM

9,541 posts, read 16,550,792 times
I rented in Sun City West 4 years ago. I just wanted to be away from winter for the year. I was also exploring the area and that type lifestyle. For me Decided against it, but many seem to like it. They have rec centers for what your looking for. Though to be honest and there is no other way to put it. It can be very very difficult to find your peer group in retirement. This active retiree community we see posted in these communities. Well it can be misleading. Many residents can seem much older than .you, Both in stamina and mindset. You find your background and interest are different. You realize that there is little in common. It is something you have to be aware of when moving into these type settings. I won't say it happens all the time, but it's noticeable. Also the Sun City Community s are defined by income levels. So the different communities will reflect that. The ones in Surprise are a long drive from Phoenix. The region is constantly building and sprawling. There is a ton of driving involved with living there.

Give it a try though you only live once. You might decide it's what your looking for.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I rented in Sun City West 4 years ago. I just wanted to be away from winter for the year. I was also exploring the area and that type lifestyle. For me Decided against it, but many seem to like it. They have rec centers for what your looking for. Though to be honest and there is no other way to put it. It can be very very difficult to find your peer group in retirement. This active retiree community we see posted in these communities. Well it can be misleading. Many residents can seem much older than .you, Both in stamina and mindset. You find your background and interest are different. You realize that there is little in common. It is something you have to be aware of when moving into these type settings. I won't say it happens all the time, but it's noticeable. Also the Sun City Community s are defined by income levels. So the different communities will reflect that. The ones in Surprise are a long drive from Phoenix. The region is constantly building and sprawling. There is a ton of driving involved with living there.

Give it a try though you only live once. You might decide it's what your looking for.
Thanks for the info. I'm 62, but a very very young 62 in both looks and activities. I jog 4 miles a day, lift weights and am very active..and most people put my age at about 48-52 and I look it. Not bragging, just saying that I don't want to be around people that seem 25 years older than me, etc....hmm....and yet would like some sort of community...for next winter want to try out a month or two somewhere in the greater Phoenix area...I believe..although I'm open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona