Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 11:15 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,707,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
What a moronic remark. That's like saying to drive through Harlem to see what NY is like. Any city on earth has its slums. The majority of Kingman is beautiful. Your 90% "less than desirable" remark is a joke. You clearly don't know Kingman. I showed you my backyard. I've read some of your other posts. You've never lived in a place as nice as that, and that was average in my neighborhood.
Again I do know what I'm talking about, no need to attack me for being right. Go to Andy Devine and take pics of Kingman Station Apts and how well it's kept up, or the Arcadia for that matter. Go across the tracks on Andy Devine, desirable area lol. But there is a downtown with a street of restaurants and even a new one, pizza I think? Go to most neighborhoods off of Stockton and show me the "nice new homes." I guess you could live in Valle Vista if you don't mind a bit of a drive. You're right there are a couple nice new home areas but most of the town isn't like that. It's resistant to change, and has passed up many business opportunities including the Target now in BHC. The town would be smart to become a transportation hub but it's not that smart. Kingman is a pit stop and people move there because it's close to Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, a decent drive to the ocean, etc but much cheaper....It's cheap for a reason.

It's not just Kingman, Mohave county in general is unkept and drug infested. Go to Dolan Springs, Meadview, Chloride, Topock, Bullhead, Yucca and show me otherwise. LHC is the "nice city" in Mohave County

You lived in a "nice home" yet you now live in CA? Why leave if Kingman was so great?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 03:07 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,820,641 times
Right on, Corydon and Elkotronics. Living in a small oasis in the desert is probably hell for some people and heaven for others. For me it was heaven. I live in one of the most expensive places in the country right now and there are areas here in Silicon Valley where you want to keep your car doors locked driving through. The idea of judging all of Silicon Valley from a few bad neighborhoods would of course be ridiculous. Nobody does that.

The unincorporated area called Butler mostly consists of old cabins and trailers. You can buy a place for under $50,000 and pay maybe a couple hundred a year in property taxes. And your neighbors there will reflect that. Many will have junk cars in the yard and barking dogs. But you also find some blocks with well maintained homes showing pride of ownership. It takes all kinds of people to make a community. But if you venture into some of the nicer newer neighborhoods, you will find big homes on big landscaped lots, with nice vehicles in the driveway. I'm actually quite surprised how many fairly well-heeled folks there are in town.

In another post this guy said something about the lack of streetlights and reflectorized signs as some sort of negative. Secondary roads all have streetlights, but most neighborhoods don't. Personally I prefer to be able to see the stars at night which are magnificent there. And reflectorized signs? That's a pretty funny way to judge a town. I'd prefer to keep my property taxes low. Speaking of which, a funny story about that.

When we lived in NY, our property taxes were $1500/month. So when we were house shopping in Kingman and we found this really nice new home, we were told the property taxes were $1300. I expressed my surprise that they were so high, almost as much as NY. Oh no, the realtor said. That's $1300 per YEAR.

Here's a link to a Google Satellite view of Rancho Santa Fe in Kingman, a nicer mid-level neighborhood with hundreds of homes. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ra...4d-113.9685157

Pan around that map and zoom in, and I think your can get an idea of the quality of life there. Yes, those blue kidney shaped and rectangle things are pools. And that's not even an expensive area compared to some. But keep in mind these still aren't cheap homes, probably in the 200K range.

If you're looking at property that seems super cheap, you're basically buying a patch of desert. Don't complain when you're choking on dust when the wind kicks up, lack of paved roads, etc.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Again I do know what I'm talking about, no need to attack me for being right. Go to Andy Devine and take pics of Kingman Station Apts and how well it's kept up, or the Arcadia for that matter. Go across the tracks on Andy Devine, desirable area lol. But there is a downtown with a street of restaurants and even a new one, pizza I think? Go to most neighborhoods off of Stockton and show me the "nice new homes." I guess you could live in Valle Vista if you don't mind a bit of a drive. You're right there are a couple nice new home areas but most of the town isn't like that. It's resistant to change, and has passed up many business opportunities including the Target now in BHC. The town would be smart to become a transportation hub but it's not that smart. Kingman is a pit stop and people move there because it's close to Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, a decent drive to the ocean, etc but much cheaper....It's cheap for a reason.

It's not just Kingman, Mohave county in general is unkept and drug infested. Go to Dolan Springs, Meadview, Chloride, Topock, Bullhead, Yucca and show me otherwise. LHC is the "nice city" in Mohave County

You lived in a "nice home" yet you now live in CA? Why leave if Kingman was so great?
Again, you're judging a whole town by picking out a few eyesores. Do me a favor and click on the link I posted, above and check out Rancho Santa Fe. I use it as an example because it's a nice mid-level newer area with hundreds of desirable homes. I can show you many more nice neighborhoods like that in all price ranges. Maybe we just come from different backgrounds. I don't live in $100/month apartments, I tend to live in decent areas to raise my family.

Want to see nice newer homes off Stockton Hill? Check out Walleck Ranch. (Turn from Stockton Hill onto Kino, then left into Walleck Ranch. All the streets are named after movie stars, just as a point of reference. We had friends that lived there, and it's very nice. Low $100's I believe. See if this link works for you: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ra...4d-113.9685157
There are lots of other pockets of nicer homes off Stockton Hill too, including some areas with million dollar mansions.

Look, I don't know the exact percentage of good vs bad areas of Kingman, nor do I care (but it sure as hell isn't 90% bad). I can tell you there are PLENTY of nice neighborhoods in Kingman because our friends lived in them. We met great people in Kingman and are still keep in touch with many of them.

Why did we leave Kingman? A couple of reasons, the first being the same thing that brought us there in the first place, business. We transferred to Kingman for a job, then eventually back to our same home in San Jose for work as well. I'll tell you it was a really hard decision to transfer back to San Jose, one which we agonized over literally for years as we'd only intended to stay there for two years at most. What tipped the scale was for our children to have better schools and a more diverse culture. The elementary schools were actually pretty good there. The High Schools and Middle Schools, not so much. Being a small town with few public school choices, your kids classes will have the kids from the aforementioned crappy parts of town along with their bad habits (teenage pregnancy, probably drug abuse, etc.) My wife is VERY protective of our daughters. Here in San Jose our kid's friends are mostly Asian tiger-mom kind of families and we like it that way. If it weren't for our kids, we'd still be there. I had no desire at all to move back to the rat race after living a utopian life out in the desert.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:47 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
I usually stay in Flagstaff on my trip across the desert from NM to California, but last time, I stayed in Kingman. I thought it was charming! It depends on what the OP is looking for. Yes, it's a pit stop, but it has a nice little downtown. It's cheap because there's not much there--not sure what the OP is looking for. But it's cheaper than Flagstaff. If you want a lot of amenities, you have to pay for them. If you don't mind small town life (REALLY small!), Kingman will do. There are some state parks or regional parks in the area for hiking and fishing, I think. All depends on what one is looking for.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Again, you're judging a whole town by picking out a few eyesores. Do me a favor and click on the link I posted, above and check out Rancho Santa Fe. I use it as an example because it's a nice mid-level newer area with hundreds of desirable homes. I can show you many more nice neighborhoods like that in all price ranges. Maybe we just come from different backgrounds. I don't live in $100/month apartments, I tend to live in decent areas to raise my family.

Want to see nice newer homes off Stockton Hill? Check out Walleck Ranch. (Turn from Stockton Hill onto Kino, then left into Walleck Ranch. All the streets are named after movie stars, just as a point of reference. We had friends that lived there, and it's very nice. Low $100's I believe. See if this link works for you: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ra...4d-113.9685157
There are lots of other pockets of nicer homes off Stockton Hill too, including some areas with million dollar mansions.

Look, I don't know the exact percentage of good vs bad areas of Kingman, nor do I care (but it sure as hell isn't 90% bad). I can tell you there are PLENTY of nice neighborhoods in Kingman because our friends lived in them. We met great people in Kingman and are still keep in touch with many of them.

Why did we leave Kingman? A couple of reasons, the first being the same thing that brought us there in the first place, business. We transferred to Kingman for a job, then eventually back to our same home in San Jose for work as well. I'll tell you it was a really hard decision to transfer back to San Jose, one which we agonized over literally for years as we'd only intended to stay there for two years at most. What tipped the scale was for our children to have better schools and a more diverse culture. The elementary schools were actually pretty good there. The High Schools and Middle Schools, not so much. Being a small town with few public school choices, your kids classes will have the kids from the aforementioned crappy parts of town along with their bad habits (teenage pregnancy, probably drug abuse, etc.) My wife is VERY protective of our daughters. Here in San Jose our kid's friends are mostly Asian tiger-mom kind of families and we like it that way. If it weren't for our kids, we'd still be there. I had no desire at all to move back to the rat race after living a utopian life out in the desert.
What magical land anywhere in the country can you rent for $100/month. Even the crappy parts of Kingman don't rent for that much. The school system KUSD is a joke, and only requires a D average to play sports, that says a lot. You keep saying you don't care about this or that but then you give a long explanation anyway lol. You mentioned Walleck Ranch and Rancho Santa Fe...that's two in the whole town. Anyone in there right mind knows Kingman is an armpit. But there's a new street light by the museum, and I think there building a new bar on Stockton and Northern..right near beautiful Butler. You're right Butler does have nice houses scattered randomly, it's also county land and the county could care less.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I usually stay in Flagstaff on my trip across the desert from NM to California, but last time, I stayed in Kingman. I thought it was charming! It depends on what the OP is looking for. Yes, it's a pit stop, but it has a nice little downtown. It's cheap because there's not much there--not sure what the OP is looking for. But it's cheaper than Flagstaff. If you want a lot of amenities, you have to pay for them. If you don't mind small town life (REALLY small!), Kingman will do. There are some state parks or regional parks in the area for hiking and fishing, I think. All depends on what one is looking for.
Yup!!

Old 01-15-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
What magical land anywhere in the country can you rent for $100/month. Even the crappy parts of Kingman don't rent for that much. The school system KUSD is a joke, and only requires a D average to play sports, that says a lot. You keep saying you don't care about this or that but then you give a long explanation anyway lol. You mentioned Walleck Ranch and Rancho Santa Fe...that's two in the whole town. Anyone in there right mind knows Kingman is an armpit. But there's a new street light by the museum, and I think there building a new bar on Stockton and Northern..right near beautiful Butler. You're right Butler does have nice houses scattered randomly, it's also county land and the county could care less.
I told you I could give you plenty of more nice neighborhoods too. I only mentioned Walleck because you challenged me to find a nice neighborhood along Stockton Hill Rd. There are PLENTY of nice neighborhoods in Kingman. You're only proving your ignorance by continuing your drivel.

I also told you they don't have the best middle schools and high schools, and I chose not to raise my kids there for that reason. Just buzz off and go away, you're not contributing anything.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I told you I could give you plenty of more nice neighborhoods too. I only mentioned Walleck because you challenged me to find a nice neighborhood along Stockton Hill Rd. There are PLENTY of nice neighborhoods in Kingman. You're only proving your ignorance by continuing your drivel.

I also told you they don't have the best middle schools and high schools, and I chose not to raise my kids there for that reason. Just buzz off and go away, you're not contributing anything.
It's hard to take you seriously when you lived in a "nice home" and didn't venture anywhere. Well besides your friends nice homes. Kind of sounds like you like living luxuriously and look down on those who can't. At least Im honest and not giving people one sided arguments.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
It's hard to take you seriously when you lived in a "nice home" and didn't venture anywhere. Well besides your friends nice homes. Kind of sounds like you like living luxuriously and look down on those who can't.
I don't look down on you because of where you live. Heck, I know nothing about you except by your posts in this forum. I look down on you because of the immature trollish nature of your posts.

Quote:
At least Im honest and not giving people one sided arguments.
Your hypocrisy is disgusting. This is you:

Quote:
Please stop lol. Kingman is a dump and 90℅ is less than desirable. I advise anyone to drive through Birdland and Butler then talk
Quote:
Kingman is also so cheap it doesn't have street lights and reflective street signs in most areas of town. It's a pit stop to/from Vegas and Phenix. Look elsewhere
You should be ashamed of yourself.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:14 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,490,111 times
An outsider like me takes what from all of this, some of you might ask? Not a lotta negative from mattywo85, that's for sure. I respect what Ruth said, corydon and kdog, because their look at Kingman is a balanced look at it. I would probably choose Benson or Tucson come retirement time anyway, but, Kingman's proximity to Vegas and the Grand Canyon, it's small nature and it's relative cheapness for housing speak volumes for those considering retirement there.

OK, mattywo85 - I sort of get your point, but don't have a lot of personal experience with Kingman, AZ. What towns near Kingman would you pursue as decent places ta live, in your book?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona