Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:01 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,073,388 times

Advertisements

Well, huh? The news report says its the highest in the nation in the Surprise, Sun City area. You get it from breathing in dust from construction sites. About 30000 to 50000 people get it every year and there is no vaccine. So have any of you had valley fever ??? I don't know any one person who has had it. I know some doggies that had it. But not people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 09:54 PM

29 posts, read 155,239 times
I've met some. But I work in the healthcare field.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:05 PM

307 posts, read 954,610 times
Default Valley Fever

I've heard of people getting it.

Thankfully, no one in my family has caught it yet - I hear that it is sometimes misdiagnosed as pneumonia?

Old 03-07-2008, 07:10 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,283,353 times
I've had it. I did not know it until I had a blood test that found antibodies. I had no symptoms or complications. I believe that is the experience most people who get it have although, for a few, it can be a rather nasty disease.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:53 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,792,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I've had it. I did not know it until I had a blood test that found antibodies. I had no symptoms or complications. I believe that is the experience most people who get it have although, for a few, it can be a rather nasty disease.
Ditto. First showed up in an x-ray more than half a lifetime ago. I've been here since 1962. I don't believe you can live here for any length of time and not be exposed. It may be extremely serious for a small percentage of the population, but the majority will never feel it or will mistake it for a chest cold or the flu. We've had one dog that had serious complications but he survived for 15 years. This subject has been covered in a numerous threads. And I'm certain the horror stories will soon follow. If it scares you, don't live in the valley. It's always been here and it won't go away. Otherwise, just live your life and don't worry about it. Here are a couple of the previous threads
//www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...at-s-real.html
Moving to AZ? Research on Valley Fever First

Old 03-07-2008, 07:56 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,325,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Well, huh? The news report says its the highest in the nation in the Surprise, Sun City area. You get it from breathing in dust from construction sites. About 30000 to 50000 people get it every year and there is no vaccine. So have any of you had valley fever ??? I don't know any one person who has had it. I know some doggies that had it. But not people.
I have a friend who has it, she got pretty sick. I guess it still shows up in her lung on xrays. But I don't think she is going to die anytime soon. My little 5 pound dog got it, was treated for it and is fine now. I suppose there are a ton of us walking around with it and will never know we have it. I'm personally not that concerned about it.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:26 AM

611 posts, read 2,309,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
That's interesting because there is a Valley Fever website that says the Bakersfield, CA is the most "hot" spot in the nation, with Phoenix/Tucson being second. Also, for some reason older people tend to get it more often, so that wouldn't surprise me if Sun City was noted.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:20 PM

264 posts, read 1,086,383 times
What exactly causes it though?

Old 03-07-2008, 12:34 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,792,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy38 View Post
What exactly causes it though?
It's coccidioidomycosis. a fungus found in the soil. The spores become airborne through dust (construction, etc) and are inhaled.
Valley fever - MayoClinic.com
Valley Fever Facts (http://www.dhpe.org/infect/valley.html - broken link)
Valley Fever Center for Excellence

Old 03-07-2008, 01:13 PM

264 posts, read 1,086,383 times
Wierd.. not something i'd worry about though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona