Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 11:28 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,738,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I mean this in the nicest possible way but you do know HGTV isn't real, right?

They fake a lot of their shows. They often portray people "buying" the house they already live in.

HGTV Shows Fake Way More Than You Realize (PHOTOS)

I was an HGTV devotee at one time, until I found out it was phony. I'm still trying to figure out why their shows are so weirdly addictive.
I was not aware of this! I'm a huge HGTV fan. So disappointing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 11:33 AM

491 posts, read 475,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Southern California's housing market is just bizarre. I watched that show "Flip or Flop" and the couple often got to a point where they had to set a price. They would look at the "comps" in the neighborhood, and it was usually ridiculous: $550,000, $575,00, $700,000, $900,000, etc. These were regular "Brady Bunch" type of neighborhoods that would seem great for a middle-class family. But the middle class is realistically priced out of existence.

So I am amazed that they actually find buyers. I often wonder what a demographic profile of those buyers would look like. Do they have an inheritance of $800,000 just lying around? Are they selling a much more expensive home from another part of California or state and relocating with huge payouts from a house they are selling? Or are they executives or partner at a law firm with a JD/PhD or something like that? They made over $3,000,000 selling mobile apps? I am curious as to how those buyers actually come up with the money.

Database programmers, web site administrators, software test managers, product owners generally make a reasonably good amount of money but in no way could afford a 1800 ft2 home with 4 bedrooms and 2 baths in in Southern California. But in Phoenix they could. They also could in Austin, TX or some parts of Metro Tampa/Orlando. But Southern Cal? Nope.

As for "Flip or Flop" the couple got rich off those high "comp" prices. But apparently there are some things money can't buy like a happy marriage. They are getting divorced.
Our Favorite Moments From Flip or Flop Season 1 | HGTV's Flip or Flop | HGTV
There are millions of millionaires in the United States. Around the world, there are even more millionaires and billionaires. California is a very limited and very scarce area when it comes to land, therefore, that pushes prices very high. If prices are that high, it's because people are buying them.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:28 PM

576 posts, read 834,361 times
The fruits and nuts in CA are setting themselves up for another housing bubble burst. Unsustainable prices will eventually lead to price drops and then people getting upside down in their mortgages. Here we go again! But getting back to the OP....

You are correct that it is considerably more expensive to move to CA vs. AZ. Not just the housing, but taxes are a lot higher in CA too. You might like the area around Tempe. Lots of night life and younger people with ASU being in Tempe. Just a matter of what you want and the prices you are willing to bear. Or, if you prefer a cooler climate, Flagstaff could be another good option for a younger person.

If considering the PHX area, be sure you are ready and willing to accept the heat. That is the biggest down side for many people moving here. Understand what you are getting into. Some people can live with it no problem, some people can't. Also definitely rent for a year to make sure you will like it here and also so you can get the lay of the land in the PHX area. That will give you a much better and more informed perspective of exactly where in the valley you would want to live if you then decide to buy.

Old 05-06-2017, 04:27 PM

40 posts, read 77,565 times
Quote:
Southern California's housing market is just bizarre. I watched that show "Flip or Flop" and the couple often got to a point where they had to set a price. They would look at the "comps" in the neighborhood, and it was usually ridiculous: $550,000, $575,00, $700,000, $900,000, etc. These were regular "Brady Bunch" type of neighborhoods that would seem great for a middle-class family. But the middle class is realistically priced out of existence.

So I am amazed that they actually find buyers. I often wonder what a demographic profile of those buyers would look like. Do they have an inheritance of $800,000 just lying around? Are they selling a much more expensive home from another part of California or state and relocating with huge payouts from a house they are selling? Or are they executives or partner at a law firm with a JD/PhD or something like that? They made over $3,000,000 selling mobile apps? I am curious as to how those buyers actually come up with the money.

Database programmers, web site administrators, software test managers, product owners generally make a reasonably good amount of money but in no way could afford a 1800 ft2 home with 4 bedrooms and 2 baths in in Southern California. But in Phoenix they could. They also could in Austin, TX or some parts of Metro Tampa/Orlando. But Southern Cal? Nope.

As for "Flip or Flop" the couple got rich off those high "comp" prices. But apparently there are some things money can't buy like a happy marriage. They are getting divorced.
I'm fortunate enough that I'm a veteran and I'm able to use my VA Loan. I only had to put 5% down on my house here, and I could have put even less than that if I wanted. But yes for most people, it is difficult.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:29 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,296,148 times
Quote:

those buying up to 650k are usually 2 income households with household income of around 150k+. maybe one spouse is in healthcare or tech or union protected jobs like education or public safety.

those with no marketable skills..forget about buying in SoCal. just pray that you get qualified for sec 8 housing

Old 05-10-2017, 04:58 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,057,617 times
twis88 (OP), I'm not discouraging you to give Phoenix and the metro area a try. I like our area. But, I'd do a bit more travel to look at some other cities too. I'd say forget Los Angeles and the Bay area entirely. A young person like yourself could easily thrive in the San Diego area (although you'd probably need to rent and have a roommate or two.)

I'd also visit Sacramento. It's not nearly as expensive as the coastal cities and not as hot as Phoenix. Its location is also second to none and there's recreation galore.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:37 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,756,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post
California is a very limited and very scarce area when it comes to land, therefore, that pushes prices very high. If prices are that high, it's because people are buying them.
Maybe if the libs in California didn't let in millions of illegals, Americans in that state could afford property.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:50 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,296,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Maybe if the libs in California didn't let in millions of illegals, Americans in that state could afford property.
illegals can afford houses?

Old 05-12-2017, 12:38 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,652,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
illegals can afford houses?
Illegal immigrants are not the cause of the high housing prices in California. They live on average 10-15 people per dwelling, compared to an average of 3 per dwelling for citizens, so they typically consume 20% as much housing as citizens, they aren't the issue.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:56 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,981,303 times
To The OP-

SoCal is beautiful, but it's glory days are behind it. To those who live in gated communities in nice houses in isolated neighborhoods it is still wonderful. For the rest it is beautiful hell of high crime, very expensive rent/housing, out of control traffic, populated with people who are either nuts or are miserable looking to get out.

I grew up there, and 80% of the people I kept in contact with after High School graduation are long gone. Skip Cali.

Arizona is a nice place. Living in Northern AZ totally different experience than living in Phoenix. Tuscon kind of it's own thing too. I'd recommend coming to the Phoenix metro first, establishing a base and then exploring the rest of the state for future moves. The heat sucks but is is just like an inverse Winter in Baltimore that you cans till drive 70 down the free way in.

Plus in Phoenix if the wonderful job ever goes away you have a decent chance of getting something else.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona