Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 01:19 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,696,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
And FYI, car registration is actually more here in AZ than in CA if you buy a new car, or a used car that is 5 years old or less. Before I got rid of it, my 14 Mustang GT was almost $500/yr to register here in AZ

Umm...you've been dupin' us the whole time? You don't have a Firebird or a Camaro? Only a Mustang?
My very first car was a 1988 Pontiac Firebird and I loved it, hence my user name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 07:42 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,550,457 times
My very first car was a 1988 Pontiac Firebird and I loved it, hence my user name

Ahh, so. I love the '68 Pontiac Firebird, though I hear it's hard ta steer.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:27 PM

120 posts, read 167,761 times
The age old debate, AZ verses SoCal......

Where to begin, let's start with California. Cali has a ton of really cool stuff to see and do for sure, has beaches and all of that.... But California is whatever you can afford. If you make tons of money or if you know how to leech the system it could be great for you. If you fall in the middle? Not so great. What fun is everything California has to offer if all your money pays the bills and you can't afford any of the good stuff?

Now Arizona. So for AZ I have to share a story. There once was this 18 year old kid fresh out of high school who was itching to escape a small town with even smaller minds. So he packed what he owned into a 20 year old car with no AC, scrounged up $1000 and made a two day drive to Phoenix. He didn't have much, couldn't do much but work and live in the cheapest area he could find. He worked hard, kept his head up and after 6 months earned enough to live in a nice part of Mesa. Kept working, kept saving and by 21 was living in a nicer older home and making great money. By 22 he was running his own business. 4 years, not bad.

That kid was me. The point of the story isn't me, however. My point is Arizona can be ANYTHING you want it to be. You can create whatever life you want there and the only limits to your happiness or success are whatever limits you put on yourself. That's the great thing about a younger state like Arizona, the story is still being written and you can jump on in and write your own story.

$1300 per month? You have options in AZ. A lot of options. A lot of nice neighborhoods where you can find a place in the $800-$1300/mo range. You already have a job that appears to pay well you can bring with you. IMO I would definitely suggest giving Arizona a go. I think you will find you can make a great life there. You will also be close to San Diego, Las Vegas, the Utah outdoors and as a plus AZ has almost everything California can offer you except Beaches.

I feel the Desert beckoning me once more so who knows, I hope to see you there!

Old 05-25-2017, 01:36 PM

15,254 posts, read 13,049,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
Now Arizona. So for AZ I have to share a story. There once was this 18 year old kid fresh out of high school who was itching to escape a small town with even smaller minds. So he packed what he owned into a 20 year old car with no AC, scrounged up $1000 and made a two day drive to Phoenix. He didn't have much, couldn't do much but work and live in the cheapest area he could find. He worked hard, kept his head up and after 6 months earned enough to live in a nice part of Mesa. Kept working, kept saving and by 21 was living in a nicer older home and making great money. By 22 he was running his own business. 4 years, not bad.

That kid was me. The point of the story isn't me, however. My point is Arizona can be ANYTHING you want it to be. You can create whatever life you want there and the only limits to your happiness or success are whatever limits you put on yourself. That's the great thing about a younger state like Arizona, the story is still being written and you can jump on in and write your own story.
I love this. Thank you so much!

Old 05-25-2017, 05:11 PM

120 posts, read 167,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I love this. Thank you so much!
Thank you, I am glad you liked my post! I love Arizona and everything it has to offer. To me living in Arizona is like being on vacation 24/7/365. There is just so much offered and so much that is great about AZ.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:06 PM

933 posts, read 1,074,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz40 View Post
$1,300 in Southern California will likely only get you a studio apartment 400-500sq feet with one tiny bathroom in a mediocre area.

Prior to me purchasing my home about 6 months ago, I was renting an "average" apartment, 1 bed with a den, about 1,000 sq feet and it was costing me $2,200 a month in Tustin.

You probably can't find a house to rent for under $3,000/mo in Southern California.
What?? There are plenty good areas in the I.E. within an hour of OC with houses around the $2000 per month range. Why do people always think So Cal is only the extremely expensive areas.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:51 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,569,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You don't live that good on $40k/yr here in Phoenix either, it's not enough to buy a house inside the Loop 101, just like $60k would only get you a house in Victorville or Palmdale in the LA Area. I make $52k/yr here (in Central Phoenix) and live in a one bedroom apartment to put it in perspective

And before I switched to driving local, I was in Greater LA three days a week, so know all about the traffic, doesn't bother me
Reality check on your "Palmdale" comment:

Houses in the nice part of that city are now approaching $350k. A home next to my brother just sold for $320k, actually. Lots of aerospace contracts going in and a shortage of housing is the issue.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:10 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,696,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Reality check on your "Palmdale" comment:

Houses in the nice part of that city are now approaching $350k. A home next to my brother just sold for $320k, actually. Lots of aerospace contracts going in and a shortage of housing is the issue.
In my neighborhood in Central Phoenix, the cheapest houses are $350k right now

Old 09-07-2017, 01:30 PM

92 posts, read 165,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhluong91011 View Post
Hey twiz88,

I'm originally from Southern California, and I currently live in AZ. I'm a younger Millennial, but I have basically lived on my own since I was 17.

Each place has it's advantages and disadvantages. California is an amazing place. You have so much to do. Literally, you will never be bored because someone is always doing something and there's almost an endless amount of places to visit. The disadvantages from my perspective are prices and traffic. A huge kick in the face when you are realistically thinking about moving to California. It also depends on what kind of budget you have and what kind of lifestyle do you want to have for the next couple of years.

It's definitely possible to have a good time in California with a very low budget. I definitely did it, but I certainly had a limit.

I like feeling like I can do anything when I go out. By that, I mean I disliked being price conscious of every place I went to.

__________________________________________________ ________

I choose AZ because it was extremely affordable compared to Southern California. It had California like weather for 9 months out of the year. People are extremely friendly. Job Market for Technical and Financial Fields are great out here. Real Estate market for potential homeowner is good as well. I found a Town Home in an A+ location with several beds for a very affordable price. Also with regards for someone as an older Millennial as yourself, there are many people that are around your age in Scottsdale and Phoenix areas. Lots of fun places to go to as well. Bars, clubs, and restaurants.

Also I'm able to take home money and invest it in my future, save some for travels, and splurge on myself.
Thanks for the insight I visit SoCal every year just was there 8/22-8/28 stayed in Hollywood yes traffic is insane, my company is located in Pasadena, CA not too far from DTLA prices closer to that area are not too bad from what I was looking up. back in May when I made this post my budget was 1300 since that time it has increased. AZ is very nice so its good to hear your insight being a millennial like myself I turn 30 in Jan. But I can honestly say that heat would be the biggest disadvantage to me moving to AZ. Making a decision soon so on where to move next year so Thanks

Old 09-07-2017, 01:41 PM

92 posts, read 165,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
What?? There are plenty good areas in the I.E. within an hour of OC with houses around the $2000 per month range. Why do people always think So Cal is only the extremely expensive areas.
What areas are below $2000 that are nice I visited Korean town for the first time while in SoCal seems really nice. I currently live on the outskirts of Baltimore, MD on the east coast my company has a location in Pasadena, CA what areas would you recommend that are decent and not too expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona