Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2017, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 588 times

Advertisements

I rented for 5yrs. The homeowner sold the house but the showings, pictures, inspection all happened while I was still living there. He forwarded the lease and said follow the terms of the lease as far as people entering my home and receiving the deposit back. I did just that.
I moved out June 1st. Per the lease my deposit would be returned within 14 days as long as I left a forwarding email.
I emailed him on June 2nd. Thanking him and giving him my forwarding address.
June 17th I emailed asking when I should expect the deposit. He said 30 days. I said according to lease it's 14 days and ARS 33-1321 it's 14 days not including holidays or weekends which would be June 21st His response was thanks for the clarification. Never received deposit so on June 26th I sent another email stating I needed my money in my acct by Wednesday. He never responded.
I filed In small claims. The problem is that he lives in ND and doesn't have a statutory agent, his LLC that the lease is under isn't registered to do business in Az. So I had to serve the Secretary of State and I also had a process server serve him in ND.
He was served today and sends me a text saying he sent deposit yesterday and that he has 14 days from when I DEMAND the deposit.
He's playing games but the lease I signed says 14 days as long as I leave a forwarding address which I did on June 2nd.

So legally do we go by our binding contract that he made me follow or the law?
And does he have any ground in court being as he was doing business in AZ illegally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 08:04 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,272,359 times
He is right that by state law you have to make a written demand for the timeline to start ticking, within reason is how the courts here handle it. You are getting the deposit back so what are you looking for here? Know that the courts here will not be kind to you as a tenant so I wouldn't waste my time if I were you.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:26 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,996,840 times
Wait the 30 days. You'll spend more fighting this (I presume you've already spent a bit of money on this already) than you would just waiting first. Document it. Under the statute you may be entitled to extra damages if he does not comply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona