Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should AZ have more military license plates?
Yes 15 32.61%
No 26 56.52%
Army 3 6.52%
Navy 4 8.70%
Air Force 3 6.52%
Coast Guard 1 2.17%
National Guard 1 2.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 12:08 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,372,568 times

Advertisements

Attached Thumbnails
Should AZ have more military license plates?-stripes.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 12:51 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,695,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Peligroso View Post
USMC is the only branch that matters. The Air Force is a corporation, Army vets can't afford to drive and Navy vets all lost their licenses anyways.

You must have been one of those drafted into the Marines in the 60s. Marines don't like to admit it but they could not meet recruitment quotas then.
When I was drafted at AFEES in Oakland the entire group of men before mine went into the USMC but that was their quota for the month at the end of Sep 66. I was sent to the Army.
Had two friends enlist in the Marines right out of high school. Neither came back from Viet Nam.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:27 PM

344 posts, read 642,790 times
I have one. I was in the Infantry 11B and Scouts 19D for 24 years and have a unique plate honoring one of my units and its (my) participation in an event that is studied by most American History classes.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:23 AM

3 posts, read 4,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
You must have been one of those drafted into the Marines in the 60s. Marines don't like to admit it but they could not meet recruitment quotas then.
When I was drafted at AFEES in Oakland the entire group of men before mine went into the USMC but that was their quota for the month at the end of Sep 66. I was sent to the Army.
Had two friends enlist in the Marines right out of high school. Neither came back from Viet Nam.
Sorry to hear that, Ken. I actually wasn't even born until a year or two before Saigon fell. Actually got into an argument with a buddy of mine last night, he said Vietnam was "Nixon's war" so I had to ask him if he knew what year Nixon took office. Took him awhile to answer....

Old 08-01-2017, 09:39 AM

If I remember correctly, the first dead of the war was in 1956, an AF E4 if I remember correctly. He was added late to the wall. Nixon's war, not quite, we just took over for the French if I remember correctly.
I served a total of 6 years after being drafted. The last period, '68-72, was not pleasant at all with the "all volunteer" types that first entered service in about 1970. The Army at least was really confused about how to make these people "career types".
I was a Drill Sgt when they first came in. One cycle of that was enough for me and I gave up the hat (wish I had it now) to get away from them.
Never made Viet Nam myself, don't know why. They sent me to Germany and the duty sucked. We were in a brand new self propelled Hawk Missile unit and every politician that wanted a trip to Europe visited our units. Almost no time off and 12-14 hour shifts around the clock on the East German Border.
After 7 month of that I volunteered for the war zone and the BN Commander just laughed and said it was hard for him to get qualified people and I was going nowhere.

Regarding the special plate, I have a left over injury or two from my time and I refuse to fund AZ anymore than I have to for a special plate. It's a money maker for the state is all. As is I had to buy a mini van to convert for my up and coming wheelchair that I need to walk any distance and the plate cost me $521!

Old 08-01-2017, 09:55 AM

191 posts, read 344,250 times
I'll stick with the plain jane license plates, thank you. Don't advertise and you won't become a target. One of the reasons the services did away with base decals years ago was for security reasons and for our member's safety while off base. At one point, we were even encouraged to change into civilian clothes when leaving the base if we were going to shop on the way home. Yes, there are some people out there who despise the military and what we stand for. I'm a proud Veteran but, I don't feel the need to display that fact on my vehicles.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:27 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,609,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funflyer99 View Post
I'll stick with the plain jane license plates, thank you. Don't advertise and you won't become a target. One of the reasons the services did away with base decals years ago was for security reasons and for our member's safety while off base. At one point, we were even encouraged to change into civilian clothes when leaving the base if we were going to shop on the way home. Yes, there are some people out there who despise the military and what we stand for. I'm a proud Veteran but, I don't feel the need to display that fact on my vehicles.
Understandable, thanks to that lowlife riff-raff out there. The police definitely share your concerns.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funflyer99 View Post

I wear my Army hat and certainly not afraid of being targeted. ( I do carry). What someone might consider a target could get them into serious trouble.
When they sent us to lunch in '66 from AFEES while being drafted we actually were attacked by protesters just to get back into the center. They wanted us to go to Canada at the time like the rest of the cowards.
During Radio School at Fort Ord in '66-67 we were told not to wear our uniforms downtown " for safety reasons". That did not stop a group that was with Joan Baez from attacking us in the Park at Monterey. As if we were hard to ID with the haircuts and all.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:59 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,629,946 times
If AZ had US Navy license plates, I would get one for a new future car.

Secondly, where does a person go to petition for the state to create new license plate designs?

Old 11-11-2017, 12:44 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,629,946 times
I wanted to bring this up again since it's Veterans Day. We need to have more selection of military plates to honor those who served.

Look at the selection, there are no other branches besides the National Guard and Marines. Where are the Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard and Army license plates?

https://www.azdot.gov/motor-vehicles...ate-selections
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: