Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 10:32 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times

Advertisements

So it's December 9th and the snow is falling here in PA. Wishing I was on the other side of the country enjoying your great weather and hiking around some of the great hiking your state offers.

Yeah nothing is perfect and you will have your bad weather in the summer months, but I'll take your state to this one any day of the week.

Anyone snow-birders here from the northeast? Chime in.

Last edited by BeerGeek40; 12-09-2017 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 11:10 AM

98 posts, read 132,770 times
Long Island, New Yorker here. I rolled into Laughlin, Nevada and BHC, AZ new years 2002. Been snow birding since. Love it. Was in the hot tub last night. Watching the snow on the weather channel. See ya in April!

Old 12-09-2017, 12:21 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,807,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post

So it's December 9th and the snow is falling here in PA. Wishing I was on the other side of the country enjoying your great weather and hiking around some of the great hiking your state offers.

Yeah nothing is perfect and you will have your bad weather in the summer months, but I'll take your state to this one any day of the week.

Anyone snow-birders here from the northeast? Chime in.
Originally from MA and did the snowbird thing for 3 years. Sept of 2015 after arriving back east after our 3 week trip from AZ I finally decided I had enough of that state and packed up and moved at the end of that year. I'd always planned on moving but just not this soon but I knew I couldn't take another cold winter along with the high COL and the stress of work. Now 2 years later I have absolutely no regrets and wish I'd done it sooner.

As for the bolded part I guess the term "bad weather" has a different meaning for everyone as you can see here come summer by the numerous weather threads. Personally I don't mind summers here at all. There are a few days here and there that I don't care for like right before and after a storm when the humidity and dew points rise and it's still 100+ out. Other than that I have no problem with the summer months. Flagstaff is only a couple hours away and we go up there a few times during the summer months which really helps break things up. My girlfriend just left here Thursday night to go back to Chicago and today woke up to 25 degree temps and snow! No thanks,I'll take the heat any day.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:11 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
So you guys cant take the cold back home and come here for winter, yet cant take our heat and go back home for the summer? Buncha merries! lol

Old 12-11-2017, 07:21 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
Ahh, snowbirds...

Bless 'em.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:20 PM

98 posts, read 132,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
So you guys cant take the cold back home and come here for winter, yet cant take our heat and go back home for the summer? Buncha merries! lol
LOL I actually got a great out and have a place to stay in San Diego. Their summers are much nicer!

Old 12-11-2017, 02:59 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N804SY View Post
LOL I actually got a great out and have a place to stay in San Diego. Their summers are much nicer!
Gee, ya think?

Old 12-12-2017, 11:03 AM

114 posts, read 204,357 times
BeerGeek, it's better here than you think! Especially if you love hiking. I have an odd schedule that brings me to Oro Valley/Tucson for October thru mid Dec, then back to Ohio for Jan & Feb, then back here for March and return to OH for the spring and summer. Having also spent some time here in summer, I can say a summer here is much better than a winter in the midwest. There are 4+ hours in the morning that you can get out and enjoy hiking/cycling before the brunt of the summer day time heat hits. Or, drive to the top of Mount Lemmon where it is 25 degrees cooler and hike all damn day. In winter, in the midwest, there is no escaping the cold, clouds and dreariness unless you stay inside. The inactive will think, "Well what's wrong with that?" but if you are active, being indoors stinks. Treadmills, etc... suck.
Now, the hiking. Hope you enjoy climbing. Stand on the south or west side of the Catalinas and all that you see is accessible either on trail or off trail. Some magical places up there visited by few. Or, drive north and explore the Superstition Wilderness...Battleship, Lower LaBarge Canyon, Weaver's Needle, Robbers Roost, Wave Cave, Geronimo Head, Peter's Cave and on and on. Come out, check it out and enjoy.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:09 PM

417 posts, read 444,712 times
Beergeek,most years I will either snowbird for a few months, or take an overseas trip for a few weeks during the winter. This year I will spend the winter in PA, which rarely happens. I'm not at all happy about it, at least we have great beer distribution from around the country.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:21 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainsofmisery View Post
BeerGeek, it's better here than you think! Especially if you love hiking. I have an odd schedule that brings me to Oro Valley/Tucson for October thru mid Dec, then back to Ohio for Jan & Feb, then back here for March and return to OH for the spring and summer. Having also spent some time here in summer, I can say a summer here is much better than a winter in the midwest. There are 4+ hours in the morning that you can get out and enjoy hiking/cycling before the brunt of the summer day time heat hits. Or, drive to the top of Mount Lemmon where it is 25 degrees cooler and hike all damn day. In winter, in the midwest, there is no escaping the cold, clouds and dreariness unless you stay inside. The inactive will think, "Well what's wrong with that?" but if you are active, being indoors stinks. Treadmills, etc... suck.
Now, the hiking. Hope you enjoy climbing. Stand on the south or west side of the Catalinas and all that you see is accessible either on trail or off trail. Some magical places up there visited by few. Or, drive north and explore the Superstition Wilderness...Battleship, Lower LaBarge Canyon, Weaver's Needle, Robbers Roost, Wave Cave, Geronimo Head, Peter's Cave and on and on. Come out, check it out and enjoy.

I was out there in November for a long weekend, most of which I spent exploring & hiking. Should be returning in late 2018 again. I'm sold on it... unfortunately I've got family responsibilities here and many years left of work. But hey, I can dream, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona