Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 08:53 PM

9,185 posts, read 16,717,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
These are some obstacles that hinder people from flying, and make driving more favorable in my opinion. I don't blame you one bit.
An inconvenience, yes, but I don’t see it worthy of having to drive all over the place. I guess if you have tons of time or don’t travel too far.

I just checked my drivers license and I have the gold star in the top right. I never applied for this, nor did I have to show additional ID. A little while back, I lost my old one, went online, ordered a new one and the new style license showed up in the mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 10:23 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,727,389 times
Interesting that you got a travel ID/License without applying the additional details.
A failure in the system for sure.
I still wonder what all requirements they will add to the law by the time it's in full force.
I can see the feds requiring ID to go state to state pretty easy.

It also appears that between the passport and the Travel ID that there is an overlap too.
The Travel ID as I see it right now is good for TSA at airports.
But when you arrive within other countries you are still going to have to have a passport as far as I know.
Oh well, for us we will most likely never leave the country again anyway.
And, needless to say, in today's political arena there are many places Americans should stay clear of.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:00 PM

7,334 posts, read 12,431,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
Interesting that you got a travel ID/License without applying the additional details.
A failure in the system for sure.
I still wonder what all requirements they will add to the law by the time it's in full force.
I can see the feds requiring ID to go state to state pretty easy.

It also appears that between the passport and the Travel ID that there is an overlap too.
The Travel ID as I see it right now is good for TSA at airports.
But when you arrive within other countries you are still going to have to have a passport as far as I know.
Oh well, for us we will most likely never leave the country again anyway.
And, needless to say, in today's political arena there are many places Americans should stay clear of.
There is a middle ground - the passport card, which is good for the TSA on domestic flights as well as international land and sea travel but not valid for international air travel. It costs much less than the passport book.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:47 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,727,389 times
I would bet that middle ground travel card will not be any good after 1 Oct 2020 when the new travel ID is fully in effect.
Just guessing, but I would put money on it.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I would bet that middle ground travel card will not be any good after 1 Oct 2020 when the new travel ID is fully in effect.
Just guessing, but I would put money on it.
No, the Passport Card will be 100% Real ID compliant. It just won't be valid for international air travel.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...port/card.html

Old 04-03-2018, 07:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,111,330 times
SHOW ME YOUR PAPERS <said in best german accent>...

Old 04-03-2018, 10:55 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,969,492 times
Quote:
It was good enough for the Army and the clearances I had and good enough for my Civil Service job with the Navy working the electronics systems on our nuclear submarines (and all the security clearances that went with that job) but not for the state of AZ as determined today.
It was also good enough for AZ state when I moved back here some 25 years ago. Funny how things change.
Screw the system, when my current license expires on 1 Oct 2020 by the new law passed I will just drive without a license.
Thats a federal thing, not state. Even for I-9 forms now you cannot get a job with a laminated birth certificate.

You can still renew your regular drivers license, you don't have to have a federal government ID

You can also try 3rd party MVD offices, they are usually more lax on regulations

Old 04-04-2018, 04:50 PM

445 posts, read 518,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
This year Homeland Security mandated security features for acceptable forms of government identification. This is known as Real ID. Drivers licenses in 28 states currently meet those requirements. It would seem that the Arizona drivers license does not and so the OP needs to obtain a new ID that does meet the requirements.

This is not a “travel license” or permit. There is a list of acceptable forms of ID at https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...identification that includes over a dozen options.
This thread piqued my interest, as I fly frequently for work and haven't really heard anything about this. According to the DHS page, it looks like the Arizona driver's license is compliant so we AZ residents should be okay, right? Or what am I missing?

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id/arizona

Old 04-04-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
This thread piqued my interest, as I fly frequently for work and haven't really heard anything about this. According to the DHS page, it looks like the Arizona driver's license is compliant so we AZ residents should be okay, right? Or what am I missing?

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id/arizona
Not all Arizona driver's licenses are automatically compliant; only the ones stamped with the gold circle with a white star are compliant.

https://www.azdot.gov/motor-vehicles...el-id/overview

Old 04-05-2018, 02:11 PM

445 posts, read 518,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Not all Arizona driver's licenses are automatically compliant; only the ones stamped with the gold circle with a white star are compliant.

https://www.azdot.gov/motor-vehicles...el-id/overview
Thanks for supplying that link, that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona