Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 09:57 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,697,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
This thread piqued my interest, as I fly frequently for work and haven't really heard anything about this. According to the DHS page, it looks like the Arizona driver's license is compliant so we AZ residents should be okay, right? Or what am I missing?

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id/arizona
I tired a 3rd party licensing authority thinking they might be different. I was told that no laminated documents can be accepted by federal standards.
It appears that as of 1 Oct 2020 if you want to fly this will be pretty much required by TSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 05:16 PM

I think many are in for a surprise starting 1 Oct 2020

Old 04-10-2018, 12:55 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
This year Homeland Security mandated security features for acceptable forms of government identification. This is known as Real ID. Drivers licenses in 28 states currently meet those requirements. It would seem that the Arizona drivers license does not and so the OP needs to obtain a new ID that does meet the requirements.

This is not a “travel license” or permit. There is a list of acceptable forms of ID at https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...identification that includes over a dozen options.
They have been trying to ram real ID down everyone's throats for awhile. Looks like they are finally chipping away at the states like AZ that say no. But don't be surprised if the requirements get pushed back beyond 2020 when 100,000s of people in this state and others realize they can't fly without a new license or a passport.

I am anti-real ID but because states like California are giving drivers licenses to non-citizens (so they can vote democrat and unlawfully invalid my vote in Federal elections) I'm starting to be supportive of real ID. Freedom from surveillance, "being checked", and having to show your papers everywhere is an awesome thing but if for political reasons powers that be abuse that right so much it will eventually be curtailed. Sad.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:40 AM

I finally got a new copy of my birth certificate from where I was born.
I then went to Footework to get the new driver's license/ID for travel.
Not a good idea as it would have cost $25 with a wait at DMV and cost me $59 at Footework. Oh well.
I doubt I will ever fly again and I had my fill of out of country experiences with the Army.
But as I spent time in the service and working for DoD until retirement I do find the history of the military interesting and without this new ID you will not be able to enter a military base after 1/1/2020 either.
And who knows just how many other things that feds or states will tack on to this law?

Old 04-15-2018, 12:22 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,309,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
They have been trying to ram real ID down everyone's throats for awhile. Looks like they are finally chipping away at the states like AZ that say no. But don't be surprised if the requirements get pushed back beyond 2020 when 100,000s of people in this state and others realize they can't fly without a new license or a passport.

I am anti-real ID but because states like California are giving drivers licenses to non-citizens (so they can vote democrat and unlawfully invalid my vote in Federal elections) I'm starting to be supportive of real ID. Freedom from surveillance, "being checked", and having to show your papers everywhere is an awesome thing but if for political reasons powers that be abuse that right so much it will eventually be curtailed. Sad.
I really don’t understand about this real ID push which apparently they unwritten policy is to pushing back the deadline date until they get every state and terrority to give in. Why not have the feds do their own document, they already have real ids for all US citizens and residents, The passport card is a perfect example.
It appears the real reason is for the feds to push real id onto individual sovereign states and terrorities is to force them give up personal information of their residents. essentially to federalize state dmv records, they know most people and politicians in US would insist against getting a fed document such as a passport to fly or enter sensitive areas.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 04-15-2018 at 12:32 PM..

Old 04-17-2018, 09:44 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Show me your papers <said in best German accent> as you travel from city to city. Almost there, almost there...

Old 04-17-2018, 12:44 PM

Yes when terrorism showed it's head in the USA things changed.
I can remember Europe when I was stationed there with the Army in the 1960s.
Very different from how I was raised in the US.
The country/world is changing, and in my opinion not for the better.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:13 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,798,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
There is a middle ground - the passport card, which is good for the TSA on domestic flights as well as international land and sea travel but not valid for international air travel. It costs much less than the passport book.
Wife and I have MA driver licenses, so they are good for travel purposes. None the less, we use our passport ID cards when traveling. The little "mini-passports" (just a laminated card) cost a few dollars extra when ordering your regular passports.

Rich

Old 04-18-2018, 01:20 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,309,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
Wife and I have MA driver licenses, so they are good for travel purposes. None the less, we use our passport ID cards when traveling. The little "mini-passports" (just a laminated card) cost a few dollars extra when ordering your regular passports.

Rich
Totally true,

Getting a passport card really protects your identity as you keep federal documents federal and state documents state who's documents are sovereign from each other. It also protects you from retailers like best buy who won the right over the drivers protection act to gather and share your DMV info so they and other stores will know if you make returns a little too often. So far most ID thieves hadn't targeted passports yet as no

I also posted

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...al-id-act.html

Why would the feds go to such great trouble to get states to comply with real ID when they already have their own versions of real IDs all citizens could obtain?

As it appears the real intent is not about ID standards but about forcing states to share their DMV records with all other states and the feds. So I believe they will keep pushing back the date until each and every state/territory jumps onboard. Politicians give in out of fear that their constituents would be made that their state licenses no longer useful for air travel. That is unless a miracle occurs and the act is repealed all together but this looks like an unlikely. I am guessing though its likely that the territory of American Samoa will never get onboard. And the US now since February requires them to hold a passport or some other document i.e certificate of island residency in order to travel by air or enter sensitive areas as their licenses has been the first one blacklisted by the DHS. As they appear to not move towards compliance anytime soon. Though I guess this means the American Samoa license is probably the most anonymous license you can find these days as they are highly unlikely to share or be shared info with rest of the country and are not tied to AAMVA, DLC, NRVC, or the DLA. Yet they are considered a US drivers license for all intents and purposes. Interestingly nonresidents are supposed to get a local license if they stay over 30 days which I heard can be obtained merely by the presentation of a license or driving record and would not affect their home license unlike moving to another state. The only drawback is they need to be renewed every 3 three years and must be in person.

The unique culture of being entitled to use a drivers license as a right of passage in the United states, including when crossing borders between North American countries is one that is hard to understand by people around the world. Where licenses and ID is often separate matters.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 04-18-2018 at 01:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona