Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 11:46 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,696,169 times

Advertisements

Mu wife and I are retired.
We decided to go to our local MVD and get our travel licenses today.
We researched and gathered all the documents we needed to get the new IDs online.
But after waiting for over an hour at our local MVD office in Prescott Valley I was informed that because my birth certificate was laminated in clear plastic some 50 years ago (and as a result is in excellent shape) that they could not accept it.
It was good enough for the Army and the clearances I had and good enough for my Civil Service job with the Navy working the electronics systems on our nuclear submarines (and all the security clearances that went with that job) but not for the state of AZ as determined today.
It was also good enough for AZ state when I moved back here some 25 years ago. Funny how things change.
Screw the system, when my current license expires on 1 Oct 2020 by the new law passed I will just drive without a license.
Be forewarned, your results may vary, but at least in my local office they have apparently decided not to accept any laminated documents. And mine was laminated by the state I came from as a recommendation to protect the document too.
Oh well. I will not send for another birth certificate to make them happy, I just don't care anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 12:44 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
What is a travel license? Don't you have a passport?

Old 03-27-2018, 01:22 PM

A travel license is apparently what you have to have to clear TSA at airports and other things soon.
They will be required and are part of the new federal regulations that go into effect 1 Oct 2020.

I never had a passport. My orders and my military uniform were good enough for travel when I served in the Army and nobody cared about passports for us back when.

As it is apparently useless, I just shredded my birth certificate. I cannot image at my age what I need it for anyway and I certainly don't intend to fly.
Apparently what they were not telling me is that you can renew you regular driver's license and I don't need the travel ID/license except for some purposes involving travel anyway so the ads on TV that they have running are rather misleading.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:41 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Do you have a retired DoD ID? That should be good enough for the TSA. In fact, if you enter your DoD ID number on your airline reservation it can make you eligible for TSA PreCheck.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:05 PM

I retired as a civilian from the DoD.
No ID there.
I do have a Veteran's ID, disability type, but after 1 Oct 2020 according to what I was told, you must have a state issued travel ID which will be part of your driver's license or state ID card to get through the airport.
No terrorists allowed???

Old 03-27-2018, 02:19 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times
This year Homeland Security mandated security features for acceptable forms of government identification. This is known as Real ID. Drivers licenses in 28 states currently meet those requirements. It would seem that the Arizona drivers license does not and so the OP needs to obtain a new ID that does meet the requirements.

This is not a “travel license” or permit. There is a list of acceptable forms of ID at https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...identification that includes over a dozen options.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:01 PM

If what I am finding out after the fact is true that I only need it for travel I don't care.
Fact is I have not flown in years and I don't intend to.
I suppose they will keep mandating things to the point where we need a travel ID to do state to state before I die.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:24 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
Does anybody know if the Federal Government will accept a Arizona drivers license at the Internal Check Points in 2020??

We have always used our passports in Arizona since our Washington state ID's are not legal. It is simpler just to get a passport even for internal travel in the US. I use mine all the time for official ID, I-9 requirements, etc. etc.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:43 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,631,909 times
These are some obstacles that hinder people from flying, and make driving more favorable in my opinion. I don't blame you one bit.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:39 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Does anybody know if the Federal Government will accept a Arizona drivers license at the Internal Check Points in 2020??

We have always used our passports in Arizona since our Washington state ID's are not legal. It is simpler just to get a passport even for internal travel in the US. I use mine all the time for official ID, I-9 requirements, etc. etc.
You will need to get the Voluntary Travel License/ID, which requires some documentation when applying. They are stamped with star in a yellow circle to differentiate them from the non-compliant licenses/IDs. The documentation required when applying include one that establishes birth (such as a birth certificate or unexpired passport), one that establishes Social Security Number (such as a Social Security card or a W-2 form), and one that establishes residency (such as a utility bill or credit card statement).

If you prefer not to do this but don't plan to travel overseas, a cheaper alternative to a passport book would be a passport card, which is valid for international land and sea travel. While the passport card isn't valid for international air travel, it is an acceptable form of ID for the TSA on domestic flights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona