Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 10:11 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,884,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
I will never miss the politician john McCain and I never got to know the man john mccain, but I have to ask if he knew he was in such bad shape why did he not resign his senate seat for the good of the country ?
It's been depressing the last couple of months seeing the drumbeat of letters to the editor in the Phoenix and Tucson papers from right-wingers demanding McCain resign.

As one can see from this list, US Senators dying in office (rather than resigning) appears to be the norm.

https://www.senate.gov/senators/Sena...edinOffice.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 10:52 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,949,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
It's been depressing the last couple of months seeing the drumbeat of letters to the editor in the Phoenix and Tucson papers from right-wingers demanding McCain resign.

As one can see from this list, US Senators dying in office (rather than resigning) appears to be the norm.

https://www.senate.gov/senators/Sena...edinOffice.htm
Yes many senators died while in office but many died suddenly.

I consider myself a Patriot and if I knew I was unable to properly serve my constituents because my health did not allow it I would resign
just saying........................

Old 08-26-2018, 02:04 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,295,870 times
Senator McCain did a lot for Arizona as a Representative and a Senator and for the nation in the Navy. He will be missed.

What happens next?

I am reading reports a special election for McCain's seat will be held in 2020. The election would fill the seat until 2022, when the seat's next regular election will be held. Governor Doug Ducey will have to make an appointment to fill the seat through 2020.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:15 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,252,132 times
RIP Senator McCain, a man with admirable qualities.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:41 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,528,712 times
Sen. John " Maverick " McCain, May he finally rest in peace.

My most deepest and sincere condolences to his Family.

It's not the dog in the fight, It's the fight in the dog.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:29 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,487,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
Yes many senators died while in office but many died suddenly.

I consider myself a Patriot and if I knew I was unable to properly serve my constituents because my health did not allow it I would resign
just saying........................
It is quite possible that Senator McCain very specifically felt that occupying the seat as long as possible - rather than surrendering it to an unelected politician of a different bent than McCain - was, in fact, the proper way to best serve his constituents.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:32 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,467,572 times
John McCain likely suffered a lot over the past 18 months and had suffering over the course of his life. I'm sure it is also a difficult time for his family. I am appreciative of his military service, but I think his political legacy is far overstated.

McCain should have retired in either 2010, after his embarrassment on the national stage in 2008, or in 2016. The timing of his death isn't great from a political standpoint for the Republican Party.

I think he had some good personable attributes, but some of his behaviors as an elected official were rather underwhelming.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:36 AM

7,052 posts, read 6,313,171 times
My oldest brother was the chaplains assistant when John McCain was returned to the US. He talked of how humbling it was to greet those who'd been prisoners of war and how thankful they were to be home.

I honor anyone who went through that but especially if they then went on to serve their country in other ways.

RIP, senator. It's time to finally rest.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:38 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,884,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
It is quite possible that Senator McCain very specifically felt that occupying the seat as long as possible - rather than surrendering it to an unelected politician of a different bent than McCain - was, in fact, the proper way to best serve his constituents.
Yes, and the Senator's office remained fully staffed, doing the constituency work that every Senator's office does for his or her state. One could also say that his statements made from Arizona while he was sick were more powerful than the same statement if made from DC.

Meanwhile, wingnut Kelli Ward claimed that the McCain family made the announcement on Friday about the Senator discontinuing his medical treatment, just to take media attention away from her bus tour around the state! That's the problem with being a conspiracy theorist - once you start heading down that road, then *everything* is a conspiracy. Shame on her. Bet she calls herself a "patriot".

Old 08-26-2018, 09:49 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,987,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
Yes, and the Senator's office remained fully staffed, doing the constituency work that every Senator's office does for his or her state. One could also say that his statements made from Arizona while he was sick were more powerful than the same statement if made from DC.

Meanwhile, wingnut Kelli Ward claimed that the McCain family made the announcement on Friday about the Senator discontinuing his medical treatment, just to take media attention away from her bus tour around the state! That's the problem with being a conspiracy theorist - once you start heading down that road, then *everything* is a conspiracy. Shame on her. Bet she calls herself a "patriot".
So much for the thread honoring McCain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona