Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 01:35 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,381 times

Advertisements

DPS is underfunded...now the debate is where the funds should come from, taking it from over-funded/unneeded state government programs or adding in new fees. Apparently adding in new fees was the answer.

And I say DPS is underfunded because the amount of patrols they are doing on some Northern Arizona highways is pretty low. Remember DPS does more than write tickets for speeding or whatever. On remote areas it is good to have them present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 06:00 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
More money for cronies.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:23 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I was going to renew my 2017 Pacifica in Dec until I found out about the new fee of some $30+. Last year was $460!
Now it's my understanding that the legislature may take up action to do since the substance my fees are not do until 1 June I will wait.

History tells me that if I don't wait they will not refund the money if the legislature changes their mind.
It was on the news last night that a bill to repeal is making its way through the legislature.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:54 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Why can't people have a say and vote for or against this? Any kind of tax or fee increase should be left to the voters. AZ needs a TABOR (Taxpayer bill of rights) type of Amendment to the state constitution that prevents politicians from increasing taxes without any kind of vote from the people.

They did it administratively beecause they call it a "fee" evidently. They can get around the "no new taxes" mantra the GOP loves by calling it that.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:12 PM

19 posts, read 16,270 times
Let's say you have a car that you drive to work Ok
You use the road, and an additional 32 dollars is
added to your license plate fee. Ok
you also have s truck that you drive from
time to time to get some lumber from Home Hepot
or to pull your car trailer to a local car show on
the week end... (more about that later)
Another 32 dollars!
You also have a Motorcycle that
you use on occasion....(Nice weather days.) Another
thirty two dollars. and a small travel trailer that you may
use once a year..... if that.. because most of it's life is spent
on the side of the house Another 32 dollars.
that's 128 dollars A Year you are paying in addition to your
Vehicle license plate Fee.....(In Addition To!)
Let's say you ALSO have collector cars that are registered
but insured on a collector (LIMITED USE POLICY) car's that
never see the street and are not using the road. Another
32 32 32 32 32 And so on........Why becaus they can.
your license plate is like a Dog Collar that shows the identy of your
Dog (this is good) now add the thirty dollar a Year chain
to the Collar by the state
that can be pulled how ever thay want...... When ever they want

Old 04-22-2019, 02:23 PM

Bueler........,Bueler?

Old 04-22-2019, 03:46 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Did you want us to comment on your incoherent mess of a post?

Old 04-22-2019, 08:58 PM

December 26, 2018
Doug Ducey-Governer
Karen Fann-Senator
Noel Campbell-Representative
David Stringer-Representative
I am writing regarding the new $32 per vehicle registration fee. I do not believe the impact this fee will have on people who have multiple vehicles that are very rarely (if ever) driven was taken into consideration. Car collectors usually have their vehicles on limited use collector car policies and this should be taken into consideration and excluded from this new fee.
Additionally, the vehicles that car hobbyist and collectors have for the most part have a place in history and are ususally shown at car shows and children ask why the car has 3 pedals on the floor (never saw a clutch) and what is the thing on the door with a knob (the window roller), never have seen a manual window before. These vehicles are a teaching tool and part of history, the owners are not members of the rich and famous and usually older demographics on a limited income, they put their DNA (blood, sweat and tears) into these vehicles and enjoy showing them. AZ is (was) a mecca of car collections and car collectors as seen by the January collector car auctions.
I recently met someone who was paying $10 per year registration for a travel trailer and now has to pay $42, again this is a trailer that is hardly used, also should have some consideration.
The other day I read an article in the paper about the population growth in AZ, of people moving here from other states, how about a fee for the new residents that are using our infrastructure and have not paid into it in the past. I am sure this and other ways to support Public Safety are very possible.
Thank you for your consideration,

Old 05-24-2019, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Already crazy expensive, John? Are you serious?

When I relocated to Arizona from California my Chevy Pick-Up Registration Fee dropped from just under $500 to about $50. Same Vehicle, same Owner and same Driver yet the Arizona Plate was about 90% less.

I'll gladly pay the $32 . . . especially since it supports the DPS.
You might be 'glad', but keep in mind this is the same rate for ALL (AZ only) vehicles. My H-D MC has an $8.50 registration fee, but I still have to pay the $32 fee, 400% more than the registration fee. FAIR? Not really! This fee grosses the state $77 million a year, (2.4 mil reg. vehicles in AZ x $32) and the majority of our roads are in desperate shape.

What do you suppose DPS does with $77 million/year? Trooper salaries? Not likely. The last survey (2016) of DPS personnel showed there are a total of 1920 people in the entire department, not just those who patrol the interstate. That would average an annual RAISE of $40,314, EACH... every year! (If they divide it equally.) Even throw in a new vehicle fleet, every year, one vehicle, annually, for each employee, not just patrol cars. At an average of a HIGH estimate of $25K per vehicle, that's $48 mil (annually), leaving $29 mil. Share that with the employees and they still get $15K a year. That's a helluva raise!! At 20 years, every DPS employee would be making $300K/yr! And driving a new state vehicle, every year!

NO! What really happened is our beloved GOP Gov, took the lead of #45, and just issued an 'executive order', for AZ drivers to PAY another $77 mil TAX, every year! What do you suppose he is going to do with $77 mil, every year, going into the AZ State Treasury, NOT DPS?? Anything he wants!! No way for drivers to see how that money is spent! It is outrageous! It should be put on a statewide referendum vote! It should also be based on % of vehicle value, or odometer reading, or weight, not a flat fee for ALL vehicles.

Just a thought... This fee, charged to every driver in AZ, to allegedly pay to DPS, whose jurisdiction is the state hwy system ONLY! (and Gun registrations). How many of the 2.4 million vehicles are actually using the interstate? How many TRUCKS that use the lion's share of the interstate, are registered in AZ? Likely, very few, and the majority do not pay anything. And the few 20-ton, 18-wheelers, that are registered in AZ, pay the same $32 that my $8.50 MC is paying! FAIR? This whole system is something he came up with while munching his donut and coffee one morning! No math involved, except maybe "how do I cover the $77 mil budget shortfall every year? Hmmm, I have an idea...." The rest is history! ad infinitum!

Old 05-24-2019, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 1,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Did you want us to comment on your incoherent mess of a post?
I understood it fine! And he's absolutely right!! Executive overreach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: