Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 04:28 PM

42 posts, read 48,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Why would "conservative retirees from the Midwest and California" contribute to (in your words) substandard economic conditions. I'm one of them and I spend oodles of money here than an "average U.S. median income adult or current avg income Arizonan" spends. How would retirees not being here help Arizona;s economic condition? Enlighten me. Apparently I wasn't paying attention in one of my macro econ classes that covered this.

Just for that comment, I think I'm going to go back to asking for my Senior Discount!!! And drive a little slower!! And be even slower in the checkout line!!
Then apparently he moved to ****ing Yuma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 04:38 PM

15,254 posts, read 13,053,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchurainprez View Post
A state for the tuber wealthy

Would that be people rich in potatoes?

Old 01-28-2019, 09:09 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,987,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Would that be people rich in potatoes?
Boo!

Old 01-29-2019, 11:50 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,328,827 times
Quote:
If I take all my retirees with me to live or snowbird somewhere else, the Valley would be in deep Sh&$
I hope you're not serious. Maybe 40 years ago, retirees & snowbirds were the major source of revenue for the Phoenix area, but we've tripled in size since then. The Valley is much more diverse now, and younger people actually make up the majority of the population. If the economy is still heavily reliant on retirees & snowbirds, then it's a serious problem, and it says that the Phoenix area has experienced major growth, but never really grew up.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:06 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,311,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Because retirees by definition are no longer working, so they only consume. They no longer produce anything. So a retiree heavy economy is good/service poor
So you are saying that if a majority of the retirees left, there would be an economic gain? There consumption by retirees is done because of the good produced that retirees consume for starts. They add significantly to het economy.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:13 PM

277 posts, read 278,478 times
https://azbigmedia.com/phoenix-no-2-...d-wage-growth/

Remeber everyone Arizona is backwards ****hole with no jobs or water

Quote:
The Paychex | IHS Markit Small Business Employment Watch started the new year with slight gains in small business job and hourly earnings growth. The Small Business Jobs Index increased 0.04 percent in January to 98.92, though it remains down 0.96 year-over-year. At 2.49 percent ($0.65) in January, hourly earnings growth has improved each month since August with wages now standing at $26.88. Weekly earnings growth, however, has slipped below two percent as weekly hours worked have declined.

Phoenix ranks second among metros in both jobs and wage growth with a jobs index of 100.93 and a wage growth rate of 3.84 percent YOY.

“With a 0.04 percent increase in January, the recent losses seen in small business job growth abated to begin the new year,” said James Diffley, chief regional economist at IHS Markit.

“The uncertainty caused by the government shutdown doesn’t appear to have had a major negative impact on small business hiring, which increased for the first time since May 2018,” said Martin Mucci, Paychex president and CEO. “The job gain is certainly welcome news, but it remains a challenging hiring environment for small businesses given the low unemployment levels.”

Broken down further by geography and industry, the December report showed:

• The top region for both employment and wage growth is the West.

• Wisconsin is the strongest state for small business job growth; California took over as the top state for wage growth.

• Dallas remains first among metros in job growth; Riverside, California is once again the top metro for wage growth.

• With a 0.14 percent increase in January, Construction is back above 100 and ranks second among industries in jobs growth.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
So you are saying that if a majority of the retirees left, there would be an economic gain? There consumption by retirees is done because of the good produced that retirees consume for starts. They add significantly to het economy.
I apologize for the typos. Still hard to get used to these here keyboards on these here new-fangled machines! OK, back to my typewriter! Can't find any korrecto-type anywhere anymore!!

Old 01-31-2019, 11:30 AM

1,336 posts, read 936,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Because retirees by definition are no longer working, so they only consume. They no longer produce anything. So a retiree heavy economy is good/service poor
Um, yeah, no. They pay for everything just like the rest of us working slobs. When they pay for goods and services locally, they do support and create jobs. You want a retiree, at the margin, vs not having anybody. The net contribute to the state economy.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:41 AM

7,163 posts, read 12,732,771 times
Retired folks are great supporters of the local economy. They buy consumer goods, go out to dine and for entertainment--and don't ramp up your bonds/taxes to support more schools...

And in general, retirees make good neighbors as they tend to be quiet and have time to keep up their homes and yards.

Many retirees are active in serving on local non-profit boards and volunteering for organizations serving community needs..

Many towns and cities actively recruit retirees for these reasons: they are great for the economy and help make communities better and more vibrant.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Retired folks are great supporters of the local economy. They buy consumer goods, go out to dine and for entertainment--and don't ramp up your bonds/taxes to support more schools...

And in general, retirees make good neighbors as they tend to be quiet and have time to keep up their homes and yards.

Many retirees are active in serving on local non-profit boards and volunteering for organizations serving community needs..

Many towns and cities actively recruit retirees for these reasons: they are great for the economy and help make communities better and more vibrant.
Not according to Firebirdcamero!! I guess he studied econ at the same place Ocazio-Cortez did. Or maybe all my econ profs (out of the Business school, not out of the school of Arts and Sciences) were WRONG!! You actually had to do a little math and analysis in those "real" econ classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona