Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 01:11 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,150,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Of course we can't absolutely stop this, but strong mitigation can bring it to a near halt. There are examples all over the world of this, where they tightened down and are now getting back to normal. On the other hand, here we are, with businesses still shut and cases holding steady at a few thousand new ones daily. How is that good for anyone? We could have been well on the other side of this by now, but the freedumb nuts insist on dragging this on.

Looking at the death rate of those that have been infected is not dishonest at all. It shows how many more will die depending on how many more catch it. You want it to run rampant, right? You went so far as to say that by attempting to limit the spread, we're dragging this on. Please explain that "logic". How will this be shortened if we let the fire burn far and wide? The only thing we know with certainty is that will kill 2-4% of the additional people that catch it because of that lax approach.

Advocating against mitigation is advocating against life-saving measures. So, how dare you in fact.

What can be done all over the world can't be done in US. You will never be able to set up real lockdown, not even for few weeks. Stay at home was nothing but a "suggestion" which many people ignored. I am not seeing people staying at home over the summer unless you deploy national guards in which case BLM riots will seem like walk in the park.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:17 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,669,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
What can be done all over the world can't be done in US. You will never be able to set up real lockdown, not even for few weeks. Stay at home was nothing but a "suggestion" which many people ignored. I am not seeing people staying at home over the summer unless you deploy national guards in which case BLM riots will seem like walk in the park.
We don't have to go to that extreme. Simple measures that we're already taking are working. We just need to keep at it, remain diligent and quit with the nonsense about herd immunity, as if doing nothing is a reasonable strategy. My comment is for those suggesting that doing anything is somehow dragging out this situation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Now tell me, you want to do what? We cannot stop this. It is a virus. We have had viruses plague (pun intended) us for thousands and thousands of years. We are still here. We are going to survive this as well. The only thing you folks are going to do is slow this down and make sure this thing is with us for a long long time.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:40 PM

2,926 posts, read 3,101,890 times
You know, I get it. You folks win. I get the message loud and clear from both the posts we can read and those that are either no longer or edited beyond original meaning.

Shut up and comply.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,669,627 times
Quote:
You know, I get it. You folks win. I get the message loud and clear from both the posts we can read and those that are either no longer or edited beyond original meaning.

Shut up and comply.
It seems to have come to that after people proved that they couldn't be bothered to do the right thing without the iron fist forcing it. It's not like people weren't given the chance to do so on their own first, especially in AZ.

Even then, it's no big deal. Wash your hands, wear a mask when you run into a store, do the right thing. Big whoop. Doing those small things will help end this much sooner and will save lives.

Old 07-22-2020, 02:14 PM

962 posts, read 472,091 times
Quote:

Focusing on the ratio of deaths to positives is dishonest as then you assume that either everyone is going to catch it or at the least, does not consider the changing ratio of positive cases vs total tests. And even with 2-4%, it is still less than the Spanish flu. We all need to really step back and away from the 24/7 barrage of the media shoving this into our face to make us think it is something WAY worse than it is.

Please do not go there. How dare you in fact. There are unnecessary deaths every single day. I tried to point out some, but it was considered too much for this thread.
So is the Spanish Flu the official bar? Everything that kills fewer people is to be ignored? Fewer people died in WW I, so that was a nothingburger? How about that far fewer cops will be killed by criminals than by the virus? Ya wanna let that go?

So just because they happen, unnecessary deaths are to be accepted? Oxymoronic. Look up the definition of unnecessary.

Quote:
“Don’t worry about Grandma, dying alone in the nursing home. She has dementia and is scared, but she surely understands. It’s for the greater good.”

“Don’t worry about losing your business, the dream business that you opened with a second mortgage on your house... oh, and don’t worry about losing your house. It’s for the greater good.”...
When you copy-and-paste from right-wing nut-job websites, at least cite the source. (It took me less than 10 seconds to find this screed on a hundred sites. Just curious where you're hanging out.)

Old 07-22-2020, 03:50 PM

525 posts, read 540,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryCat View Post
So is the Spanish Flu the official bar? Everything that kills fewer people is to be ignored? Fewer people died in WW I, so that was a nothingburger? How about that far fewer cops will be killed by criminals than by the virus? Ya wanna let that go?

So just because they happen, unnecessary deaths are to be accepted? Oxymoronic. Look up the definition of unnecessary.

When you copy-and-paste from right-wing nut-job websites, at least cite the source. (It took me less than 10 seconds to find this screed on a hundred sites. Just curious where you're hanging out.)
Well then we should have been doing something more during flu season.......

Old 07-22-2020, 06:05 PM

962 posts, read 472,091 times
Quote:

Please do not go there. How dare you in fact. There are unnecessary deaths every single day. I tried to point out some, but it was considered too much for this thread.

Actually, you are claiming that these deaths are necessary. Sacrifices to the economy, or your freedoms, or whatever reason you're floating this week in lieu of coming right out and saying you don't care about anyone other than yourself - your personal comfort and economy.

Old 07-23-2020, 01:51 AM

551 posts, read 694,897 times
Quote:
Shut up and comply.
Basically, how dare anyone question their master's current narrative if its working or if it's good for you. They do the work for them.

Old 07-23-2020, 05:54 AM

11,316 posts, read 18,931,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorandesert92 View Post
Yeah, sadly, things will never ever go back to the way we used to be. It's just going to be so hard. Soon, people may even be in jail for not wearing a mask. Social distancing and social isolation is here to stay too. Polio and TB were not this bad. COVID is the worst pandemic in history.

The title caught my eye but I'm not going to go through 21 pages of this nonsense. I'll just say the following:

1) Spanish flu in 1918 was at least as bad. And if you think this is bad time travel back to the mid 14th Century and live through the Black Death.

2) This is bad and serious, but it is not 14th century bubonic plague. Even the 1918 pandemic without a vaccine and solid treatments led to the Roaring Twenties just a couple of years later (in fact even the Black Death lasted 6 years and we are still here today). We're just an impatient fast paced society now.

I'm sure those in their 90s and up who still have their marbles and went through WW II as adults are laughing at you right now scared as they rightfully are about being very COVID vulnerable so imagine something close to today's lockdowns for 3-4 years, almost the entire male population under a certain age under the threat of dying in battle at anytime without warning, the prospect of losing said war and becoming a Nazi state (or put a different way, imagine being in a concentration camp for years, I had relatives who were in one as well as an American uncle who was a POW at Stalag 17 for 2.5 years). Oh yeah, and MLB was played by a bunch of minor leaguers (read up about the 1944 season and the player with one arm, the St. Louis Browns being in their only World Series, etc.) and we went 12 YEARS between Olympics! Boo hoo...

Old 07-23-2020, 02:31 PM

5,457 posts, read 4,073,411 times
This thread has run its course. Time will tell whether we ever go back to normal. Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona