Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 10:45 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,281,711 times

Advertisements

Sorry Steve - Hat band and Rattles in Epoxy. And, some BBQ rattlesnake meat.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:52 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,421,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Sorry Steve - Hat band and Rattles in Epoxy. And, some BBQ rattlesnake meat.
Cant teach an old dog new tricks I guess....

Old 06-03-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Cant teach an old dog new tricks I guess....
Sure you can - but in my case - I have no reason, nor desire, to learn any of "YOUR" tricks.

Ever see the Scorpion Bolo Ties Steve? We capture a live Scorpion, put them in a mold, and pour clear epoxy over them. Then we mount the backing and we now have a new tie. They are very popular here in the West.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:02 AM

94 posts, read 318,290 times
Quote:
That is an EXTREME case, hardly the norm. Do you know how many 10s of thousands of people are bit by venomous snakes every year? You know how many fatalities occur? I believe they say the odds are higher to be struck by lightning than to die by venomous snakebite (in the USA).
Yes it is a bad case. that's why I said this is how bad they can get. Many venomous bites are dry, nothing worse than puncture wounds but if you are unlucky the effects are devastating and leave permanent disability to the limb.

Here is one my son caught on our driveway, we relocated it to a less populated area.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich V View Post
Yes it is a bad case. that's why I said this is how bad they can get. Many venomous bites are dry, nothing worse than puncture wounds but if you are unlucky the effects are devastating and leave permanent disability to the limb.

Here is one my son caught on our driveway, we relocated it to a less populated area.

Nice to see the use of a snake hook. However, pinning the heads isnt recommended, but hey! And yes, many bites are "dry", luckily. Snakes just wanna be left alone.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:20 AM

94 posts, read 318,290 times
Quote:
Nice to see the use of a snake hook. However, pinning the heads isnt recommended, but hey! And yes, many bites are "dry", luckily. Snakes just wanna be left alone.
The snake hook I made for my son, it breaks down into three pieces like a custom pool cue and fits in his luggage or backpack. He also has and used a snake tong on this rattler. It still make me nervous to watch him do this but he is 19 and been catching snakes since he was ~ 8 years old.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:25 AM

63 posts, read 225,857 times
Quote:
The pictured one was within a dozen feet of my pool - where my grandchildren were playing.

Sorry - the grandkids come first -
That's the point precisely!

For anyone who has ever lived in rattlesnake country, a personal outlook about preserving wildlife, or not, is easily altered into a self preservation mode first, animal rights second when considering consequences of a bite one evening as you step out your front door.

Not many will react with "...oh, look at the nice cute snake" and walk away leaving the critter in peace, doing nothing about it. Rattlers tend to have a territory within hunting range of a primary den and also avoid confrontation if they are aware of any threat nearby. And tend to lay low in the shade during the day or sleep in their den but sometimes, as in the case of this snake, they can be caught off guard by logistical errors and then pose a real threat, or the snake may have been staking out new territory, both cases posing a potential serious threat.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwnorth View Post
That's the point precisely!

For anyone who has ever lived in rattlesnake country, a personal outlook about preserving wildlife, or not, is easily altered into a self preservation mode first, animal rights second when considering consequences of a bite one evening as you step out your front door.

Not many will react with "...oh, look at the nice cute snake" and walk away leaving the critter in peace, doing nothing about it. Rattlers tend to have a territory within hunting range of a primary den and also avoid confrontation if they are aware of any threat nearby. And tend to lay low in the shade during the day or sleep in their den but sometimes, as in the case of this snake, they can be caught off guard by logistical errors and then pose a real threat, or the snake may have been staking out new territory, both cases posing a potential serious threat.
Well, considering that most states are "rattlesnake country", I only find a problem with people out west who feel the need to persecute them. You guys build these new neighborhoods out there where rattlensnakes have existed since the beginning of time, and most of you cant stand them and kill them. Do those who move to Alaska into bear country shoot and kill any bear that comes onto their property? No. They learn to live with them, and use their heads when outside, and they leave them alone. At least with rattlesnakes you can hook em and relocate them (via garbage can with lockable lid) to a safer place. Snakes are probably one of the easiest animals to live with and deal with on a regular basis. And for those who dont feel adventurous enough to relocate snakes themselves, simply call the FD or Animal Control. They remove thousands of snakes from peoples' yards every year.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
And for those who dont feel adventurous enough to relocate snakes themselves, simply call the FD or Animal Control. They remove thousands of snakes from peoples' yards every year.
Steve - may I say that not being a resident of Chicago, I would not presume to try to tell a resident of that fine city what they should, or should not do in Chicago.

May I suggest that, inasmuch as you are not a resident of the Desert Southwest, you are presuming to tell those of us who have lived here over 60 years how to live and what they should, and should not do - and, IMO, that is not right.

BTW, where I reside, I don't have a Fire Department nor Animal Control that will come to deal with snakes. Just like there is no FD or Animal control to deal with the Javelinas in my area either.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Steve - may I say that not being a resident of Chicago, I would not presume to try to tell a resident of that fine city what they should, or should not do in Chicago.

May I suggest that, inasmuch as you are not a resident of the Desert Southwest, you are presuming to tell those of us who have lived here over 60 years how to live and what they should, and should not do - and, IMO, that is not right.

BTW, where I reside, I don't have a Fire Department nor Animal Control that will come to deal with snakes. Just like there is no FD or Animal control to deal with the Javelinas in my area either.
Im not telling you what you can or cannot do. Im merely recommending you take another route. Its my personal opinion that they should be left alone, especially considering its YOU who have moved in on THEIR territory. They have every right to live as you do, correct?

I respect your rights and your decision, I merely disagree with it, thats all. And if I can persuade an individual to remove them rather than kill them, then my job is done. Every snake that gets killed equals roughly 9-12 lbs of rodents that go unchecked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona