Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 09:54 AM

11 posts, read 8,879 times

Advertisements

we are about 3 days away to start the cross-country from NY moving to PHX. unfortunately we just found out our car's license plate tab(NY registration sticker) expired at end of May. as unlike the past years we just realized we haven't received the annual renewal notice from the state this year due to the pandemic. what should we do?

1, should we wait until arrive PHX and register at PHX DMV for new license plate AND registration all at once ? if so, would there be any trouble along different states when we drive with this expired registration license plate?

2, or should we renew registration immediately at NY and get new plate sticker before departure, and use this NY license plate till its about to expire in 2022,then register my car at AZ DMV?---- if this is acceptable, does it matter if my driver license is AZ but my car license plate is NY ?

Last edited by jjhome18; 06-13-2021 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 10:14 AM

416 posts, read 536,723 times
If possible buy a temporary tag to get you here. You run the risk of getting expired tag tickets and they could impound your vehicle. Is your insurance current? When you get here there is time frame for you to get an AZ plate but it`s better to do it right away. If you have a newer vehicle be ready for what could be more expensive tags.

Old 06-13-2021, 11:44 AM

39,082 posts, read 51,266,875 times
2. is illegal in AZ. State law requires you to register your car as soon as you get here (10 days I believe). There is a hefty fine involved for not doing that. Enforcement is so-so, but more in summer when the car is likely to be a person who moved here and tried to skate on the old plate.

Old 06-13-2021, 12:30 PM

yes my car is 2020 model, the registration tax is $500+ in my current NY state. mu car insurance is valid and renews in 11/2021...i know the temp tags mostly used on newly purchased cars. but it seems not applicable to my case.

https://www.dirtlegal.com/blog/temp-...ates-explained

this link says, Temporary license plates, known as the temp tag, serve as a form of temporary registration for a vehicle. proves that you own a vehicle for which you have applied for a full registration that has yet to arrive.

Old 06-13-2021, 12:34 PM

9,538 posts, read 16,533,027 times
I would just renew the registration in NY or if a Temp registration is cheaper do it that way. I would not drive your car to Arizona with an expired registration. I have heard Arizona doesn't give much time to register your vehicle when moving there. I know 6 years ago I was visiting Phoenix. Driving my own car so out of state plates. I came out of a restaurant in Glendale and there was a notice on my windshield from ADOT. It was in reference to residence or employment in Arizona meant Arizona plates needed to be on the car. So evidently the state does sweeps of businesses and probably neighborhoods. Since I was visiting it didn't pertain to me, but I had never had it happen to me in any other state. I'd get your Arizona plates within no more than a month of moving there.

Old 06-13-2021, 12:50 PM

thank you so much for your comments. i think I should visit local DMV deputy office tomorrow Monday and see if there is a cheaper option to get temporary registration or license tab.

Old 06-13-2021, 01:03 PM

how about the car title? will this also require new title document from AZ as well? how is that dealing with my car loan bank?

Old 06-13-2021, 02:30 PM

416 posts, read 536,723 times
Years ago when I moved here I drove out in my new truck that had a bank loan on it. While trying to transfer it to AZ they wouldn`t do it until I had a paper from the bank allowing it. My bank was really unhappy that I moved here without their permission. I asked them for the paper or to come get it. Since my payment history was good they let it go. It was a local bank and things may be different now. But I would check with them first. If you have a job in AZ waiting you might be able to get AZ to issue you the 3, 10 or 30 day temp tag and you can print it out. Depending on the model tags here for a 2020 can be expensive.

Old 06-13-2021, 07:43 PM

did you mean transferring title to AZ ? yes the bank is the lien holder on your title,so you would need have document from bank in order to transfer to AZ title. but this seems not mandatory if your car has out of state(AZ)lien holder.

Old 06-14-2021, 12:00 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,030,780 times
Found this:

https://dmv.ny.gov/insurance/moving-out-state

Looks like you would have some tasks to do before you move out of New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: