Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 12:10 AM

843 posts, read 563,575 times

Advertisements

Hold on...may not be that bad. I would call the AZ MVD. There was a similar post a while ago and I seem to recall that someone said that you could get a temporary plate in AZ for transport, or something like that.

Here it is, from November: https://www.city-data.com/forum/ariz...ired-tags.html

The OP said in the last post, "I was able to contact AZ MVD and get a temporary registration for the car to transport to AZ. Your replies were very helpful!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 05:45 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,156,127 times
To the op. If you try calling an AZ DMV, they will never pick up. Call a 3rd party (legal rep and they charge a small fee). 10000x better! They pick up the phone.

Here is one: GG&D Motor Vehicle Services that I used.

As a side note, go with the 3 month version. It is $25. Then 3 months later, do it again for three months. You owe me a beer as I just saved you $500. That is what I did.

Old 06-16-2021, 04:56 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,909,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarbuilder View Post
Years ago when I moved here I drove out in my new truck that had a bank loan on it. While trying to transfer it to AZ they wouldn`t do it until I had a paper from the bank allowing it. My bank was really unhappy that I moved here without their permission. I asked them for the paper or to come get it. Since my payment history was good they let it go. It was a local bank and things may be different now. But I would check with them first. If you have a job in AZ waiting you might be able to get AZ to issue you the 3, 10 or 30 day temp tag and you can print it out. Depending on the model tags here for a 2020 can be expensive.
There is something extremely wrong with having to get a banks 'permission" to move.

Old 06-16-2021, 04:57 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,909,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
To the op. If you try calling an AZ DMV, they will never pick up. Call a 3rd party (legal rep and they charge a small fee). 10000x better! They pick up the phone.

Here is one: GG&D Motor Vehicle Services that I used.

As a side note, go with the 3 month version. It is $25. Then 3 months later, do it again for three months. You owe me a beer as I just saved you $500. That is what I did.
This. I NEVER go to the mvd here. Third party is worth every extra penny that you spend.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:41 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,984,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhome18 View Post
did you mean transferring title to AZ ? yes the bank is the lien holder on your title,so you would need have document from bank in order to transfer to AZ title. but this seems not mandatory if your car has out of state(AZ)lien holder.
When we moved here from PA both of our cars had loans. We had no trouble at all registering them in AZ, I think we just had to show the PA registrations. When the loans were paid and we received the titles, they were PA titles. I still have one car, the other was traded in two years ago with no issues.

Old 06-18-2021, 05:55 PM

20,367 posts, read 14,644,040 times
Well thank you to the poster of this thread, because it brought to light something horrible that I need to at least be braced for. I'm a little furious that it seems to be how things are, but at least I know.

I just recently bought a new car and my temp tags in CO expire in early August, and I will have to sort out my regular registration here, which ain't gonna be cheap. Then, I move the following month to AZ, where I will have to do it again and pay full price for registration again, essentially being double taxed by two states for my car registration. Now anyone who is a tax nerd like I am will be thinking, "that can't be right" so I called the CO DMV thinking, surely there is a way around this.

Nope.

The woman on the phone suggested that either I move sooner, which I cannot do, or that I simply continue to use my CO plates once I live in AZ and "pay whatever late fee" for registering sometime next year, rather than whenever I am supposed to. Uh, no. Lady. That is bonkers, like dumb in the face bonkers, I am not gonna flout the law and hope for the best in my new home. Why would she even suggest such a crazy thing?

I have been furiously Googling and combing through both states' vehicle registration laws for hours and I just don't see any way around this.

Old 06-19-2021, 05:30 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Well thank you to the poster of this thread, because it brought to light something horrible that I need to at least be braced for. I'm a little furious that it seems to be how things are, but at least I know.

I just recently bought a new car and my temp tags in CO expire in early August, and I will have to sort out my regular registration here, which ain't gonna be cheap. Then, I move the following month to AZ, where I will have to do it again and pay full price for registration again, essentially being double taxed by two states for my car registration. Now anyone who is a tax nerd like I am will be thinking, "that can't be right" so I called the CO DMV thinking, surely there is a way around this.

Nope.

The woman on the phone suggested that either I move sooner, which I cannot do, or that I simply continue to use my CO plates once I live in AZ and "pay whatever late fee" for registering sometime next year, rather than whenever I am supposed to. Uh, no. Lady. That is bonkers, like dumb in the face bonkers, I am not gonna flout the law and hope for the best in my new home. Why would she even suggest such a crazy thing?

I have been furiously Googling and combing through both states' vehicle registration laws for hours and I just don't see any way around this.
I would be rolling the dice for a month. If you have TWO cars, minimize the usage of the expired tags. It takes one day to drive from CO to AZ. If you get pulled over, (1% chance?) explain your situation (have a copy of all of the people you called etc). I bet they let you get off. If they don't and you have a spendy car (my tabs are over $1K a year), it's much better math to pay the ticket than paying two sets of tabs.

I bet I could drive months before getting pulled over for expired tabs. So a 1-day driving trip is a pretty safe bet!

Old 06-19-2021, 11:25 AM

415 posts, read 534,044 times
If you have 2 cars it may be better to have an auto transport move it here. If you do get pulled over it can be impounded. Tickets here are expensive and they can run your plate without pulling you over first. If you are renting a U-Haul they have trailers for rent too. One other idea is to register the car in AZ before you move here. Do you have an address in AZ you can use? A 3rd party might give you a temp tag good
until you get here or mail your plate to that address. Only 2 AZ counties require emissions first so that makes it easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: