Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 11:15 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,347,410 times

Advertisements

"Fifty-Five and glad to be alive" retirement communities every place you can imagine! Sun Valley in Phoenix, Green Valley in Tucson, etc, etc... - they're everywhere! They're EVERYWHERE!

Great for the economy? Absolutely! So what in the world is a "Baby Boomer? Definitions of Baby Boomers on the Web:

The approximately 78.2 million Americans born between 1946 and 1964 according to the US Census Bureau (Census Bureau Home Page). ...

www.thrasherfunds.com/learn/glossary.htmGet ready, Arizona... for here they come!

Last edited by ZonyPony; 07-09-2008 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 11:28 AM

345 posts, read 466,736 times
In case you missed it, we're already here.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria Rhodes View Post
In case you missed it, we're already here.
Yep! They're here. They are a wonderful group of people.

They bring their patriotic ways with them as well. There are American flags, windsocks and twirlies all throughout the areas where they live. They bring their knowledge of an era which introduced TV dinners, hotrods, Harleys, and rock and roll.

They understand what a hard day's work really means. Many lasted at their one job for 20-30 plus years. Very loyal people.

Baby boomers: The generation of people born in the post war years, between 1946 and up to 1965. This generation, by its sheer size alone, has filled jobs in the early seventies and dictated most lifestyle trends. The baby boomers have started retiring now, but the generation following them (sometimes called the generation X) much weaker in numbers.

Bring on the Boomer!

Last edited by ZonyPony; 07-09-2008 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: More info!

Old 07-09-2008, 04:03 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,742,090 times
We be here too!

Old 07-09-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
We be here too!
Yeah!

Old 07-09-2008, 10:16 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Here are some interesting facts about baby boomers.
10 Million Baby Boomers Face Alzheimer's, Report Predicts - washingtonpost.com
Baby Boomers Appear to Be Less Healthy Than Parents - washingtonpost.com

Old 07-10-2008, 05:45 AM

225 posts, read 817,914 times
I didn't know babyboomers as a generation were known for their patriotism.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:38 AM

345 posts, read 466,736 times
I say "boomer" as a time identifier more than anything, but generational labels can lead to false assumptions and stereotypes (and if I don't catch myself sometimes I fall into relying upon them too). Each generation models itself on their parents values as well as the thinking and trends of their peers (and marketing and technology influences). As we know, there is much variety of thinking within each generation. I've met boomers that fly the stars and stripes year round in their yards but who scare me in their narrow-minded thinking on many issues, and I've know fellow boomers that given half a chance will wax on nostalgically about the sixties as if no other era in human history was more significant. You have the Tom Brokaw's of the world promoting the "greatest generation" who helped the allies crush the Nazi war machine, yet this generation also upheld much prejudice and inhumane treatment toward segments of its citizens. Human history is filled with great advances and great tragedies, and no one generation deserves being called the "greatest" or the "worst". That said (without being specific), there is much about my generation that frustrates me, and these frustrations have been magnified over the years as I have lived/traveled abroad and talked to people who have less opportunities to succeed, and less material wealth, but who nonetheless often exhibit more optimism and insights into life than their (too often spoiled/self-centered) American counterparts. My hope will always be for our young people and how they will work toward a better world for all.

Last edited by Ria Rhodes; 07-10-2008 at 08:53 AM..

Old 07-10-2008, 10:32 AM

Forgive me, everyone, if I presented an overly zealous view, or if I happened to gush about the boomers. However, I'm not talking about the percentage of destructive thinking rebels who never really came back into society and helped to make it better - only those which truly contributed in a positive way to this generation.
I prefer not to give any rebel faction of any generation any more print than they've already managed to take away from the whole. They've had their day in the sun.

Many boomers did take much of their parents' constructive and positive values with them, whether we see it or not. Many of the boomer rebs eventually returned to a value system much like their parents had: hard-working and having a love of country.

Being an obnoxious rebel might be quite romantic for some, but its really a distraction to others who prefered not to take that particularly low road. Forgetting the boomers for just a sec, rebelling against the norm happens in every generation. Its rather an expected thing.

I love the patriotism of the boomers which I see around me, and their positive and constructive way about them. True, many of the boomers' parents were short sighted and selfish, if not hypocrital and judgmental -and, yes, even racist in nature.

But, hey! Those were the kinds of things to rebel against. The world should not revolve around that kind of thinking anyway. I say again - here come the boomers!

Old 07-10-2008, 11:47 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,257 times
This Boomer has been here for 23 yers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona