Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 11:15 AM

26 posts, read 77,638 times

Advertisements

While shoveling snow for the third time in two days, my husband and I agreed that we need to be where it's warm, dry and friendly! So we started looking at Arizona, and thought what better than to get opinions from residents!
As I read through many pages on this forum, I became increasingly uneasy. What with: road rage, illegal alien gangs, Valley Fever (what area encompasses the "Valley"?), poisonous "critters" and oh, let's not forget the Africanized bees - Yikes! What a "buzz-kill"! (OK..pun intended!)
Say it ain't so!
We are just looking for a town, not big city, where we can find a house under $200,000, on a couple of acres so the 3 dogs can run around, where you don't have to "pack heat" to go grocery shopping AND where we can ride our motorcycles without, hopefully, getting run off the road! Any ideas would be MUCH appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 11:40 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Girl View Post
While shoveling snow for the third time in two days, my husband and I agreed that we need to be where it's warm, dry and friendly! So we started looking at Arizona, and thought what better than to get opinions from residents!
As I read through many pages on this forum, I became increasingly uneasy. What with: road rage, illegal alien gangs, Valley Fever (what area encompasses the "Valley"?), poisonous "critters" and oh, let's not forget the Africanized bees - Yikes! What a "buzz-kill"! (OK..pun intended!)
Say it ain't so!
We are just looking for a town, not big city, where we can find a house under $200,000, on a couple of acres so the 3 dogs can run around, where you don't have to "pack heat" to go grocery shopping AND where we can ride our motorcycles without, hopefully, getting run off the road! Any ideas would be MUCH appreciated!!
The problem is there is not a lot of private land out west and a couple acres can set you back if its anywhere near jobs, amenities, or water. Take away the two acre requirement and you get a lot more options.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:54 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
You can definitely get what you want for that price in northern AZ, say in Golden Valley, which is outside of Kingman. No gangs, and no traffic to speak of, so not much in the way of road rage. Of course, one does not get away from critters in AZ, but some of us consider them a bonus.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:59 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
You can definitely get what you want for that price in northern AZ, say in Golden Valley, which is outside of Kingman. No gangs, and no traffic to speak of, so not much in the way of road rage. Of course, one does not get away from critters in AZ, but some of us consider them a bonus.
Yeah... if there's anything gangbangers hate, its having snakes or scorpions in their "baggies"!

Old 01-22-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Yeah... if there's anything gangbangers hate, its having snakes or scorpions in their "baggies"!
Or tarantulas, or Javalina in their baggies!

Old 01-22-2009, 12:23 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,077 times
Quote:
Or tarantulas, or Javalina in their baggies!

Old 01-22-2009, 02:50 PM

26 posts, read 77,638 times
Thanks for your replies....

I did not even consider going that far north (Golden Valley, Kingman) thinking you would get a lot of snow there...but one of the statistic sites I just went on says the average is about 3 inches. Is that right?

What about Property taxes in that area? Say on a house that's 1500 square feet? Would you know if either of those areas are in a flood zone?

Thanks in advance!

Funny about the "baggies"...the images that come to mind.....

Old 01-22-2009, 02:53 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Kingman area doesn't get much snow at all. It's north, yes, but it is not the high elevation that you have in the rest of northern AZ to the east. I would not think that flooding is a problem in that area either. Someone who lives up there can tell you about property taxes.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Kingman area doesn't get much snow at all. It's north, yes, but it is not the high elevation that you have in the rest of northern AZ to the east.
True story. This is our third winter in Kingman, and we saw our first snow here this winter. It snowed about 4" one day back before Christmas. I don't think Golden Valley gets any snow at all, because it's 1,000' lower than Kingman.

Regarding flooding, just don't buy property in a wash, and you'll be fine. Don't laugh, I hear people have done it thinking they got an awesome deal.

Property taxes are ridiculously low in Mojave County. It's hard to believe you'll find lower taxes anywhere. We're paying 1/10th the taxes we were paying in NY.

Golden Valley isn't really my cup of tea, mind you. We have kids, and so we feel we're better off living in the Kingman city limits. We have stricter building codes, more shopping, more schools, and of course because the lots are smaller, more neighbors. Parts of Golden Valley don't have water service, so they have water delivery, or haul their own. There are trade-offs if you want cheap land.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:56 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
True story. This is our third winter in Kingman, and we saw our first snow here this winter. It snowed about 4" one day back before Christmas. I don't think Golden Valley gets any snow at all, because it's 1,000' lower than Kingman.

Regarding flooding, just don't buy property in a wash, and you'll be fine. Don't laugh, I hear people have done it thinking they got an awesome deal.

Property taxes are ridiculously low in Mojave County. It's hard to believe you'll find lower taxes anywhere. We're paying 1/10th the taxes we were paying in NY.

Golden Valley isn't really my cup of tea, mind you. We have kids, and so we feel we're better off living in the Kingman city limits. We have stricter building codes, more shopping, more schools, and of course because the lots are smaller, more neighbors. Parts of Golden Valley don't have water service, so they have water delivery, or haul their own. There are trade-offs if you want cheap land.
As kdog stated.

And; to add to his post..........some county areas alongside the city of Kingman also have 'Kingman' addresses. Some of those enclaves are nice (Camelback) but others (Birdland) are sketchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona