Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 12:52 PM

434 posts, read 988,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohellfroze View Post
Let me make a rebuttal to these points on how much I HATE MICHIGAN.

1. I love heat and HATE the cold.
2. I never even see my neighbors here in Michigan! How can you say they are friendly?
3. Yes, because bare trees running down streets for miles are just soooooo amazing.
4. Michigan doesn't care about their schools more than anyone else. Schools are way overcrowded and the text books are about 20 years old. Arabic students are allowed to take classes in Arabic and have it count as a "foreign" language class.
5. Yes those activities are offered here but living in the Detroit metro area it is a long drive to any of them.
6. You know how many times I've been on a stinky, cold polluted lake? They're not that great.
7. There are a ton of chain restaurants here! All of the cultural food you listed IS here but it's all mediocre.. nothing to brag about.
8. Canada is boring. I visited there many times when I was younger. The biggest thrills were walking by the Detroit River and eating Pizza.
9. Housing is overpriced everywhere.
10. I don't walk barefoot outside.
I wouldn't take for granted walking barefoot outside in AZ, either.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:59 PM

434 posts, read 988,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
you know when I lived in Colorado, we after living in Wa, we were in scenic shock when all we saw for 5 months there during the winter was brown grass, leafless trees, and snow in my yard. We took a trip to Phoenix in Feb of 08 and it was Gorgeous. Very green compared to Northern Colorado(front range). Was so nice to have green trees year round, even if the leaves are smaller. The Surrounding Martian looking mountains are amazing to me. Summer was a Bi...., but I learned to pick up a book and read again. So I got thru it. No mater how hot it got, I always saw green trees and green grass. I suppose I will never use chains again, as I have no desire to play in snow. If I change my mind, it snows in Arizona, just not my fine city of Gilbert. As far as Mosquitoes, I think I saw one last summer, possibly, I cannot remember for sure. Thats that long bodied bug that bites you right? Heard about them on the nature channel.
And what keeps that grass green?

Old 03-23-2009, 05:44 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
you know when I lived in Colorado, we after living in Wa, we were in scenic shock when all we saw for 5 months there during the winter was brown grass, leafless trees, and snow in my yard. We took a trip to Phoenix in Feb of 08 and it was Gorgeous. Very green compared to Northern Colorado(front range). Was so nice to have green trees year round, even if the leaves are smaller. The Surrounding Martian looking mountains are amazing to me. Summer was a Bi...., but I learned to pick up a book and read again. So I got thru it. No mater how hot it got, I always saw green trees and green grass. I suppose I will never use chains again, as I have no desire to play in snow. If I change my mind, it snows in Arizona, just not my fine city of Gilbert. As far as Mosquitoes, I think I saw one last summer, possibly, I cannot remember for sure. Thats that long bodied bug that bites you right? Heard about them on the nature channel.
Oh you know a lot more about those little bloodsuckers than your saying. They've killed more people in Arizona than Michigan and we have millions of em.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:49 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I have to say I think your the first post I have seen that went from Arizona to Michigan.
There will be many more.

The Arizona luster has dimmed. Residents used their homes as piggy banks far disproportionately to most states. Growth and speculation turned boom into resounding bust. The state failed to diversify its economy due to its growth addiction and will go through a lengthy and painful detox.

It was one of the first states into recession and will be one of the last out in its attempt to work off the glut. In trying to do so the protacted recession will erode important quality of life issues including education and public services while other states rebound more quickly. Its proximity to the border of a country where 9000 were killed in drug wars last year will continue to adversely affect it in crime and crushing social service demands.

Disillusionment will hit the younger crowd as these quality issues start impacting them directly. Population growth will be more concentrated in the retirement sector where weather makes virtually all other problems blindly ignored while youthful vitality, community involvement, and plentiful good paying jobs go to other states with like-minded people having vested and long lasting concerns about their future and those of their family.

The tide will turn.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:13 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
There will be many more.

The Arizona luster has dimmed. Residents used their homes as piggy banks far disproportionately to most states. Growth and speculation turned boom into resounding bust. The state failed to diversify its economy due to its growth addiction and will go through a lengthy and painful detox.

It was one of the first states into recession and will be one of the last out in its attempt to work off the glut. In trying to do so the protacted recession will erode important quality of life issues including education and public services while other states rebound more quickly. Its proximity to the border of a country where 9000 were killed in drug wars last year will continue to adversely affect it in crime and crushing social service demands.

Disillusionment will hit the younger crowd as these quality issues start impacting them directly. Population growth will be more concentrated in the retirement sector where weather makes virtually all other problems blindly ignored while youthful vitality, community involvement, and plentiful good paying jobs go to other states with like-minded people having vested and long lasting concerns about their future and those of their family.

The tide will turn.
What a load of unsubstantiated bunk. Enjoy your sour grapes.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:40 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,478 times
We too moved from MIchigan last Summer due to jobs. I rather live in a box then in NOrth Carolina. I guess it is just about where you call home and what fits you. I think the issue is for many people do you want to move or have to. Having to do something like move even if it is the right thing for the family is not the same as wanting to.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:07 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
There will be many more.

The tide will turn.
Funny:

If you are so pro Michigan, etc.: why do you and your ilk keep posting here in the Arizona Forum? I would not insult the folks of the Michigan, etc. Forums by ragging on their states----------I respect their choices for living there.

Most of us simply do not care. Trust me; decent weather is a trump card. Remember that I work on cars/trucks for a living and few things frost my pumpkin more than working on some rusted out POS.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If you are so pro Michigan, etc.: why do you and your ilk keep posting here in the Arizona Forum?
Simple, as I said I lived in AZ for a number of years so there's an informed basis in comparison plus I'm responding to a current MI native.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
What a load of unsubstantiated bunk. Enjoy your sour grapes.
From the same person predicting a 40% unemployment rate

Old 03-24-2009, 07:11 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
We too moved from MIchigan last Summer due to jobs. I rather live in a box then in NOrth Carolina. I guess it is just about where you call home and what fits you. I think the issue is for many people do you want to move or have to. Having to do something like move even if it is the right thing for the family is not the same as wanting to.
Here I thought North Carolina would be a good fit for me moving from Michigan. But my wife refuses to move somewhere we have no family. Sorry to hear you don't like it. Mind sharing? Please respond in a private e-mail. I'd hate to see this turn into a, Arizona, Michigan, North Carolina post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona