Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 08:48 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,212,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
From the same person predicting a 40% unemployment rate
Unemployment rate? Michigan's is significantly higher than Arizona's.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:40 PM

857 posts, read 1,738,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Unemployment rate? Michigan's is significantly higher than Arizona's.
Except in Flagstaff !

They're both in the double digits so it's a serious problem.

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 03-24-2009 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: sarcasm and reality

Old 03-24-2009, 10:50 PM

Default Economy Of Arizona In This Fiscal Recession

Very well written comments, Actinic, -- responses in blue below --

[quote=actinic;8017447]
"Growth and speculation turned boom into resounding bust. The state failed to diversify its economy due to its growth addiction and will go through a lengthy and painful detox."

And now the State of Arizona imposes Smart Growth on us - and that doesn't help - driving the cost of living and services even hire.....I'd like to see a suspension of the Smart Growth Act.....,

"It was one of the first states into recession and will be one of the last out in its attempt to work off the glut. In trying to do so the protacted recession will erode important quality of life issues including education and public services while other states rebound more quickly."

Indeed, quality of life way down for anyone ages zero to 34 including college students who pay higher tuition.....New Mexico expected to recover from its recession in 2010.....

"Its proximity to the border of a country where 9000 were killed in drug wars last year will continue to adversely affect it in crime and crushing social service demands."

If marijuana was legalized that could free up police resources to other drugs / crimes, but that won't happen in conservative AZ.....

"Disillusionment will hit the younger crowd as these quality issues start impacting them directly. Population growth will be more concentrated in the retirement sector where weather makes virtually all other problems blindly ignored while youthful vitality, community involvement, and plentiful good paying jobs go to other states with like-minded people having vested. and long lasting concerns about their future and those of their family."

My 18-34 generation will be moving on to Albuquerque, Austin, Boulder, Raleigh-Durham NC, and Denver.....some of us came from those places during this current recession, and deeply moving to AZ....There is very little support for young professionals who are not college students here in Northern Arizona in the Flagstaff area.....unless something changes very quickly I'm out of here but relocation is expensive and not fun.....compare to Boulder, Colorado where they have a "boulder 21-40" group for young entrepreneurs.....

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 03-24-2009 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: additional comments

Old 03-25-2009, 04:50 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,335,641 times
Tom Lane wants "Smart Growth" to "go away". Well Tom, I'm afraid you will be waiting an awfully long time - SG isn't going away

And Tom - you seem to want to turn Arizona into California - why? We NATIVE Arizonans like Arizona being Arizona. Not CA, or CO, or NM etc. Arizona.

And, if "your" demographic group wants to move? Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:40 PM

3,013 posts, read 3,561,437 times
as long as my Arizona pals realize that Texas is most supreme state in the union, then I have no problem acknowledging the glory of Arizona

Old 03-27-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
as long as my Arizona pals realize that Texas is most supreme state in the union, then I have no problem acknowledging the glory of Arizona
Who cares?

All states are 'supreme' in their own way

Old 03-28-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Tom Lane wants "Smart Growth" to "go away". Well Tom, I'm afraid you will be waiting an awfully long time - SG isn't going away

And Tom - you seem to want to turn Arizona into California - why? We NATIVE Arizonans like Arizona being Arizona. Not CA, or CO, or NM etc. Arizona.

And, if "your" demographic group wants to move? Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I think that it will go away very soon in Flagstaff -- because the residents are tired of high rents, food prices, and impact fees.

Everyone I talk with in Flagstaff thinks the concept is absolutely ridiculous -- given the current recession.

After the recession? I'd be all for many of the concepts of smart growth, and a 100% green economy.

But that's the conundrum -- how can the recession end in Arizona when smart growth is limiting the economic growth rate?

That's why it's in the best interest of the working people to Suspend the Arizona Smart Growth Act.

I think most working families, struggling singles, and students would agree with me.

People here laugh at the City's "private/public infill project" now under construction in Flagstaff, with a New Frontiers, Chicos, a bar, and loft apartments. Nobody will go to Chicos ... the joke in Flagstaff is that there's no dress code here

How about a Costco, Trader Joes, and REI? Now THAT would generate HUGE sales tax receipts, and stop people from driving to Phoenix

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 03-28-2009 at 12:12 AM..

Old 03-28-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lane View Post

I think that it will go away very soon in Flagstaff -- because the residents are tired of high rents, food prices, and impact fees.

Everyone I talk with in Flagstaff thinks the concept is absolutely ridiculous -- given the current recession.

After the recession? I'd be all for many of the concepts of smart growth, and a 100% green economy.

But that's the conundrum -- how can the recession end in Arizona when smart growth is limiting the economic growth rate?

That's why it's in the best interest of the working people to Suspend the Arizona Smart Growth Act.

I think most working families, struggling singles, and students would agree with me.

People here laugh at the City's "private/public infill project" now under construction in Flagstaff, with a New Frontiers, Chicos, a bar, and loft apartments. Nobody will go to Chicos ... the joke in Flagstaff is that there's no dress code here

How about a Costco, Trader Joes, and REI? Now THAT would generate HUGE sales tax receipts, and stop people from driving to Phoenix

Maybe Flagstaff needs to bottom out; then it will start to grow up.

Hell: it seems that Flag's fraternal twin; Prescott, is doing things right

Of the two northern Az High Country cities----------the latter is a better place to live for regular people.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:57 AM

39,129 posts, read 51,424,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
Here I thought North Carolina would be a good fit for me moving from Michigan. But my wife refuses to move somewhere we have no family. Sorry to hear you don't like it. Mind sharing? Please respond in a private e-mail. I'd hate to see this turn into a, Arizona, Michigan, North Carolina post.
Smart wife! Being close to family matters more than many appreciate when they decide to move away. It's one of those never miss the water till the well runs dry kind of things. Being near family is what makes home "home". A good number of people who are unhappy in Arizona (or other adopted places) would be a lot happier if they had parents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, etc here too. My wife's family is mostly in the Phoenix area, mine is in Michigan. Going to visit once a year is both too little and too much.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:53 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,284,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Smart wife! Being close to family matters more than many appreciate when they decide to move away. It's one of those never miss the water till the well runs dry kind of things. Being near family is what makes home "home". A good number of people who are unhappy in Arizona (or other adopted places) would be a lot happier if they had parents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, etc here too. My wife's family is mostly in the Phoenix area, mine is in Michigan. Going to visit once a year is both too little and too much.
Although I have two brothers in Arizona I can honestly say I don't see them taking the place of all the family and friends we have here in Michigan. Before you go calling my wife smart ( she is but not so much in this sense LOL) I have never been that close with either of my brothers and they both are very involved in their lives and extremely busy day after day. I'd like to give Arizona a chance mainly because with my digital media background I feel I have a better chance of success out there than here. Michigan will however always be home. I can't see me as comfortable and at ease anywhere else as I am here. 41 years is a long time to up and move and start over. We'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona