Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 04:55 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,547,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Actually, it has MUCH "value"!...... Just like the Steelers '6th' Super Bowl trophy does!......
I was rooting for the Cardinals like many people on this thread probably were. While I give credit to the Steelers for their season, I'm sure many people outside of Pittsburgh don't care about that team, now that the Super Bowl is more than a month in the past.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:39 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,273,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I live in Monroe County in SE Michigan. Michigan is cold, gray, gloomy, and dead looking five months out of the year, and it doesn't matter where you live. I am SO sick of looking at brown grass and bare trees and freezing my tushy off on the first day of spring. Even if my husband wasn't getting transferred to Tempe after school gets out, we would still find a way to get the heck out of this place. What's it like to enjoy sunshine year round? We'll soon be finding out...YEAH!!!!

Does anyone want our snow shovels????
you know when I lived in Colorado, we after living in Wa, we were in scenic shock when all we saw for 5 months there during the winter was brown grass, leafless trees, and snow in my yard. We took a trip to Phoenix in Feb of 08 and it was Gorgeous. Very green compared to Northern Colorado(front range). Was so nice to have green trees year round, even if the leaves are smaller. The Surrounding Martian looking mountains are amazing to me. Summer was a Bi...., but I learned to pick up a book and read again. So I got thru it. No mater how hot it got, I always saw green trees and green grass. I suppose I will never use chains again, as I have no desire to play in snow. If I change my mind, it snows in Arizona, just not my fine city of Gilbert. As far as Mosquitoes, I think I saw one last summer, possibly, I cannot remember for sure. Thats that long bodied bug that bites you right? Heard about them on the nature channel.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:44 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,547,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
you know when I lived in Colorado, we after living in Wa, we were in scenic shock when all we saw for 5 months there during the winter was brown grass, leafless trees, and snow in my yard. We took a trip to Phoenix in Feb of 08 and it was Gorgeous. Very green compared to Northern Colorado(front range). Was so nice to have green trees year round, even if the leaves are smaller. The Surrounding Martian looking mountains are amazing to me. Summer was a Bi...., but I learned to pick up a book and read again. So I got thru it. No mater how hot it got, I always saw green trees and green grass. I suppose I will never use chains again, as I have no desire to play in snow. If I change my mind, it snows in Arizona, just not my fine city of Gilbert. As far as Mosquitoes, I think I saw one last summer, possibly, I cannot remember for sure. Thats that long bodied bug that bites you right? Heard about them on the nature channel.
I'm glad you love arizona so much, it is a petty that you will pay for insulting my Texas

Old 03-21-2009, 06:56 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,180,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
( I sure would like to know where the hell you live that you prefer to wear shoes every time you step out your door. Bare foot around my pool or on my grass in my front or back yard is awesome. When I was a kid our feet were black because we wore shoes so seldom.)

I don't mind reading peoples opinions about places, but I don't care to see a place slammed with nonsense. You don't like Michigan....MOVE. Go. Get out! Does not sound like your neighbors will miss you.
For the record: the OP (odinloki1) started this Arizona bashing thread and since the Moderators did not feel it was nasty enough to close---------then (within the ToS) any comment here is fair game.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:22 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,273,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
I'm glad you love arizona so much, it is a petty that you will pay for insulting my Texas
YOu must take what I say as Gold, after all I am the Foreverking, which means I am King....Forever.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:15 AM

30 posts, read 131,895 times
Quote:
OMG, last summer was absolutely HORRIBLE here in Michigan for mosquitoes!!!! I mean, I couldn't even take the dogs outside to pee and I would have at least five of those little suckers on me, and so did my dogs!! That's what Michigan is to me: bitter cold, gray winters, staggering unemployment rates, horrible roads with potholes that you could catch fish in, and hot, sweaty, humid summers with mosquitoes the size of bats. I guess that probably sounds pretty negative, but hey...my mama taught me to always tell the truth.
As did mine. And she also says to get out while I am young and still can. Arizona I am coming to you and I can't wait!!!!!

Old 03-22-2009, 07:48 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,280,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
For the record: the OP (odinloki1) started this Arizona bashing thread and since the Moderators did not feel it was nasty enough to close---------then (within the ToS) any comment here is fair game.

As I posted in an earlier response to the OP. I do not think she gave Arizona a fare shake. As a Michigan resident considering moving to Arizona I defend both states. I can't deny any truths when they are posted but I will when I feel they are slamming either one for reason that is a fault of nothing than themselves or flat out lies. Such as the polluted lakes and how boring Canada is. If you seen someone bashing Arizona because they judged it only on a visit to Yuma would you not point out the ignorance in the statement?
Michigan is hardly perfect, and neither is Arizona. I think it's odd so many people seem to somehow link them in some kind of comparison. One is surrounded by lakes, the other is for the most part a desert. How can you compare anything? Schools sure. People, maybe. Crime? Sure. But to compare them as far as weather, sunshine, seasons, etc is just pointless. If I could do it I'd live here from April until October ( Michigan) and Arizona over the winter. Spring summer and fall here...... well in my opinion it's one of the best places I could want to be. On a boat up north or canoeing down the Au Sable with my family on a perfect summer day on a non crowded beautiful lake. That's perfection. Or walking through any of the many state parks during spring and sucking in the odors of the tree's blossoming. Or the breathtaking colors of fall while looking over a valley of orange and red and yellow on a nice cool and crisp day. Michigan may have it's bad points and I'll give anyone that, but man does it have it's finer points as well. As does Arizona, and I have more than once stuck up for Az as well.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:58 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,180,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
As I posted in an earlier response to the OP. I do not think she gave Arizona a fare shake. As a Michigan resident considering moving to Arizona I defend both states. I can't deny any truths when they are posted but I will when I feel they are slamming either one for reason that is a fault of nothing than themselves or flat out lies. Such as the polluted lakes and how boring Canada is. If you seen someone bashing Arizona because they judged it only on a visit to Yuma would you not point out the ignorance in the statement?
Michigan is hardly perfect, and neither is Arizona. I think it's odd so many people seem to somehow link them in some kind of comparison. One is surrounded by lakes, the other is for the most part a desert. How can you compare anything? Schools sure. People, maybe. Crime? Sure. But to compare them as far as weather, sunshine, seasons, etc is just pointless. If I could do it I'd live here from April until October ( Michigan) and Arizona over the winter. Spring summer and fall here...... well in my opinion it's one of the best places I could want to be. On a boat up north or canoeing down the Au Sable with my family on a perfect summer day on a non crowded beautiful lake. That's perfection. Or walking through any of the many state parks during spring and sucking in the odors of the tree's blossoming. Or the breathtaking colors of fall while looking over a valley of orange and red and yellow on a nice cool and crisp day. Michigan may have it's bad points and I'll give anyone that, but man does it have it's finer points as well. As does Arizona, and I have more than once stuck up for Az as well.
Fair enough.

Speaking for myself: I grew up in a '4 season' area and I will never live in such a place again------------with the glaring exception of Prescott (its average nighttime winter lows are identical to Wash DC's but the summers are much more pleasant ).

Old 03-22-2009, 08:02 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,280,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesha73 View Post
Michigander here, and I must say that I am surprised that someone actually distastes Arizona. I have lived in Michigan all my 35 years. I really do not like it here at all. I am actually going to be moving to Arizona in the next 5 years. The weather in Michigan is such a roller coaster. The weather man in Michigan can't even get it right half the time. The winters here are ugly and cold. We have no great place to ski here in Michigan really we dont, compared to other states such as Colorado. The spring if you want to call it that. I would like to call it the extension of Winter and Fall. Because really Spring is just a flash in the pan here. The summers are HUMID!!!!! I would rather not sweat my arse off everytime I go outside. The original post spoke of walking around naked, you pretty much have to do the same here. Maybe not due to the HOT sun but definitely due to the HUMIDNESS outside. And please let us not forget the god awful summer we had last year, you couldn't even step outside without getting assulted and blood sucked by all the freakin mosquitos. YUCK!! I get so sick of wearing OFF every summer because we can't seem to get rid of the mosquitos. I would much rather deal with other bugs than mosquitos, they at least have bug exterminators for that. And yes Michigan has lush trees and grass, but don't discount how beautiful Mountains can actually be. It is good though that you want to move back to Michigan they are going to need some life here when everyone else decides to leave. Yes the economy is horrible everywhere, but we do have quite the unemployment rate and a huge line at the Department of Human services building. I would like to live somewhere that I am not paying for someone else to have a crap ton of kids and no job to support them.
I can't say I don't agree with what you don't like about Michigan. That is understandable. I just want to point out a couple things. It's so easy to be down on one state because of weather. But one thing you should ask yourself is when it is a nice day here in Michigan do you take advantage of everything there is to do in this state? Although there is much more sunshine in Az I found there is far less around to do that is not far away to get too. The lakes are far and crowded, so if you want to go boating you better have it in the water at 6am or you'll never find a place to park your trailer.
As far as those little blood suckers. I live across from a pond and last year was no worse than any other. They are only bad at night, not during the day or even most mornings.
I've know a lot of people who look at the sunshine state and think the grass is greener on other side, only to find they cannot deal with the extreme heat of summer.
We plan on making the move only because of opportunity. Winters here are long and crappy, but with anywhere you have to make the most of it. If I bought some sleds I'd probably enjoy winter a little more.

Oh I almost forgot. As far as your claim for paying for someone else to have a "crap ton of kids" ask people about the illegal immigrant problems out there. It's give and take.

Last edited by JGatti; 03-22-2009 at 08:28 AM..

Old 03-22-2009, 08:08 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,996,957 times
Quote:
I live in Monroe County in SE Michigan. Michigan is cold, gray, gloomy, and dead looking five months out of the year, and it doesn't matter where you live. I am SO sick of looking at brown grass and bare trees and freezing my tushy off on the first day of spring. Even if my husband wasn't getting transferred to Tempe after school gets out, we would still find a way to get the heck out of this place. What's it like to enjoy sunshine year round? We'll soon be finding out...YEAH!!!!

Does anyone want our snow shovels????
I live in Wisconsin, and it's the same here...cold, gray, gloomy and dead looking for 5 months out of the year. But the other 7 months are beautiful!

Living most of my life in California, I visited Arizona numerous times...I've been all over that state. And you are in for a bit of a surprise. Yes, it's warm all year long, but unless you live in the higher altitudes (Flagstaff, Sedona, for instance), you aren't going to see much more green than you do in the midwest in the winters. Remember, Arizona, is mostly desert. And desert is just as brown and treeless and icky as winter in Michigan...it's just not as cold.

Would I trade Wisconsin for Arizona? Well, yeah....December through March I would. But I wouldn't trade April through October. I guess I wish I had the money and lifestyle to have two homes in two separate parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona