Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 05:40 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,478,522 times

Advertisements

This morning before 6 am I am heading for the New Safeway heading south. Getting close to Gordon and I notice a pickup dragging 20+ feet of barbwire fence complete with the posts. On the way home out towards Northern and there were pieces of barbwire and fence posts strung along the road. I can not imagine what this individual was thinking. Was he intoxicated? just decided they need a fence at home and drove through one to take home? Weird Weird.. Where was Johnny Law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,677 times
How dare you insult my beloved Kingman!!! I've been in Kingman 4 years, its like walking back into time, I mean way back!! Sure you see some strange stuff here but thats how it was in 1946. Some folks rarely come to town unless they need some "grub". I guess you could call some of these folks not all "desert Hill Billy's" but they live outside Kingman proper so you cant call them Kingmanites.... The "powers that be" "good ole boys" like to keep the town small and fight change and growth every step of the way.. Want to start business in Kingman? Save youself alot of trouble and move out of Arizona... They dont want you here!!!! When I moved here the finance guy said Ive been in a lot of places and you will not find better weather anywhere... Well, ok,, where has he been? Well he said, I've lived in Bullhead City 120 Deg during the summer.. ok I'll give you that one.. Flagstaff Az. 0 Degress and 2 feet of snow in the winter time, "you got that one too", Las vegas, bullhead city with a million people... Ok,, so for him Kingman is the best weather he has ever lived.... I guess he enjoys the 35 -50 MPH winds the hot the cold the dust and alergens no jobs, the Low Wages,Rednecks,Tweekers, theives and the Gangsters and extorsionists that run the city... Where else could you get 110 deg in the summer 9 deg in the winter 20-40 mph winds most of the time? This is it baby,,, If someone tells you to go to hell you dont have far to go... Now I have live in a few places and I would say Kingman ranks way below any place I have ever lived... I mean the "Snow Birds" dont even stop here, they go to bullhead city or Lake Havasu City.. So now the only question that remains is where to next??

Old 05-25-2009, 05:10 PM

11 posts, read 29,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr MCgillicutty View Post
How dare you insult my beloved Kingman!!! I've been in Kingman 4 years, its like walking back into time, I mean way back!! Sure you see some strange stuff here but thats how it was in 1946. Some folks rarely come to town unless they need some "grub". I guess you could call some of these folks not all "desert Hill Billy's" but they live outside Kingman proper so you cant call them Kingmanites.... The "powers that be" "good ole boys" like to keep the town small and fight change and growth every step of the way.. Want to start business in Kingman? Save youself alot of trouble and move out of Arizona... They dont want you here!!!! When I moved here the finance guy said Ive been in a lot of places and you will not find better weather anywhere... Well, ok,, where has he been? Well he said, I've lived in Bullhead City 120 Deg during the summer.. ok I'll give you that one.. Flagstaff Az. 0 Degress and 2 feet of snow in the winter time, "you got that one too", Las vegas, bullhead city with a million people... Ok,, so for him Kingman is the best weather he has ever lived.... I guess he enjoys the 35 -50 MPH winds the hot the cold the dust and alergens no jobs, the Low Wages,Rednecks,Tweekers, theives and the Gangsters and extorsionists that run the city... Where else could you get 110 deg in the summer 9 deg in the winter 20-40 mph winds most of the time? This is it baby,,, If someone tells you to go to hell you dont have far to go... Now I have live in a few places and I would say Kingman ranks way below any place I have ever lived... I mean the "Snow Birds" dont even stop here, they go to bullhead city or Lake Havasu City.. So now the only question that remains is where to next??
This concerns me since I'm interviewing at Kingman Reginal Med Center next month. I doubt if my wife will like it.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:23 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,839,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompso11 View Post
This concerns me since I'm interviewing at Kingman Reginal Med Center next month. I doubt if my wife will like it.
Please ignore the trolls. We've been in Kingman for almost three years and we love it here. We're middle age and raising our kids here. As a point of reference, I've lived in Silicon Valley for 20 years, and also in MA and NY. We have good schools here, great weather, great people, clean air, laid back lifestyle, no traffic, beautiful 360 degree mountain panoramas, gorgeous sunsets and sunrises, and conveniently situated in the gateway to the southwest. We've made more good friends here than any place I've ever lived. Kingman is paradise as far as I'm concerned. Work actually brought us here for a few years, but we're planning on staying forever. It's that good.

Please come visit and draw your own conclusions.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr MCgillicutty View Post
This post is complete fiction. There's not one shred of truth to it.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:31 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
This post is complete fiction. There's not one shred of truth to it.
Many of that poster's statements are indeed true------------if taken out of context.

Why I say that is Kingman has a lot of neat things as well:

Metcalfe Park on Beale St
Hualapai Mountans
very inexpensive housing
clean air
'to die for' sunsets
pretty residential area downtown and Riatta Valley ain't exactly ghetto either, etc
as for racist intolerance: not entirely true---------hell, there is even a Mosque on Airway near the one Safeway to accommodate the Dr's, etc. at the local hospital.
and the overall amenities in Kingman are indeed improving as in shopping, etc.

And; I too lived in SoCal prior to moving to Kingman back in 1989: hindsight being 20/20----------'PW Trash' Kingman was Paradise on Earth compared to the so-called 'cosmopolitan' Los Angeles area.

In all fairness: I am something of a desert rat at heart; admittedly the high desert is significantly greener (10" of rain does help) that places outside of Yuma.

Back to the 'weather' thing: the summers were a significant reason why I left Bullhead City back in 2006, had the climate there been 'Kingman' class (wind and all)------------I may have very well stayed in BHC despite the latter having many drawbacks on its own.

Something to ponder.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:59 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,478,522 times
I would also advise ignoring that post, it was there 1st and only post. KRMC is a great facility and you won't be disappointed.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Many of that poster's statements are indeed true------------if taken out of context.
Baloney. 110F summer and 9F winter? When have you ever seen temperatures like that? 35 -50 MPH winds? Yeah, maybe during a storm. Steady state? Don't think so. Here's the weather.com windspeed forecast for the next 10 days: 10 Day Weather Forecast for Kingman, AZ - weather.com . Winds are predicted to be between 10 and 16 MPH. Temp, low 90's. THAT is a perfect climate.

Kingman doesn't want business here? Almost all of my neighbors own their own businesses. Funny, they don't seem to have any problems here. Evidently the OP moved into town thinking he was going to get a hand-out. THAT doesn't happen. There are license and impact fees, just like anywhere else in the country. "Rednecks,Tweekers, theives and the Gangsters and extorsionists that run the city". Give me a break.

I stand behind what I said. That post was nothing but hot air and BS.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 9,828 times
It's very difficult to remain positive when discussing Kingman. I agree with everything that Mr. M posted, and he didn't even mention all of the recent store and restaurant closings, the bad schools, or the total lack of professionalism in this town.

Phone calls aren't returned; appointments aren't kept. They call it "Kingman time". The Gas Co was an exception - their field reps were outstanding. The office staff at NPG cable was always courteous, too.

Most of our shopping was done in Henderson, and we had to go out of town for our tile, painting, and window coverings. The locals just never showed up. When we decided to sell, the local realtors didn't even return our calls, so we signed with a company in LHC.

If the only things important to you are sunsets and 4-wheeling, you will love Kingman.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverGuy View Post
he didn't even mention all of the recent store and restaurant closings,
Really? Name them.

Quote:
the bad schools, or the total lack of professionalism in this town.
Manzanita and Hualapai are both excellent elementary schools, as any parent with kids that go there will attest to. There are not-so-good schools in the not-so-good parts of town. Perhaps those are the areas that you are familiar with. The middle and high schools are crowded and have room for improvement. Guess what? They're building new ones.

As far as lack of professionism in the service industry, that's par for the course. I've live in some pretty desirable areas in the US, and you have your good ones, and your bad. When we moved into town, we put in a whole backyard that included every trade you can imagine. We got it done on-time and on budget. So if you can't find anybody who wants to work with you, perhaps you need to look inward for the source of the problem. BTW, you mentioned window coverings, try Colorado River Blinds. Fantastic service and good prices.

What's with (supposedly) two newbies registering on this site in two days just to trash Kingman?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona