Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:43 PM

894 posts, read 2,203,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
LOL. I was in Sierra Vista in the Army and there were no end of fellow soldiers and their wives whining about how hot and miserable it was there. Some folks just can't take ANY heat. But, why do you say it is not livable if one is not in the Army? Sierra Vista is on my short list of places to live if I can figure out how to escape Phoenix. When I was there I always thought it would be a decent place to return to someday.
Military towns usually have nothing going for them except the Army bases. The city/town's are built around the base to acommodate soldiers, I.E. drain their paychecks. Fast food, bars, ***** clubs, cash advance shops, used car dealerships, ****ty hook up my honda shops; things if that nature.

Their local economies have no realistic income for Non-Military citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 06:37 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,277,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
84 Yesterday, 81 today but (believe this) Humid 47%. I imagine that for someone from Michigan or Maine it could be hot but from Phoenix this is cold. I was up in Goodyear two weeks ago and couldn't believe I had lived in that heat
I don't now about that. I was out there last April and the temps at night were around 80. While driving I'd roll my window down and hang my arm out. Felt cool to me. When we came home people would make comments about," oh but it's a dry heat". I'd tell every one of them there is truth in that statement. Being my first time in a climate like that it was really weird. It was 95 or so the day we went to Sedona, it was perfect.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:06 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbatman86 View Post
Military towns usually have nothing going for them except the Army bases. The city/town's are built around the base to acommodate soldiers, I.E. drain their paychecks. Fast food, bars, ***** clubs, cash advance shops, used car dealerships, ****ty hook up my honda shops; things if that nature.

Their local economies have no realistic income for Non-Military citizens.
I agree with that but Sierra Vista is different (or used to be). I recall the area right outside the gates of Ft. Huachuca being as you describe (Huachuca City?), but SV was a "real" place that attracts a lot of retirees, both military and civilian and has some economy that is not related to the base. No doubt it is very dependent on the base and it might become unlivable if the base closed. Livable to me means shopping for things other than what you mentioned , medical care facilities, safety, good schools, parks, community activities. I would move there are a retiree so don't care about the job situation.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:31 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I agree with that but Sierra Vista is different (or used to be). I recall the area right outside the gates of Ft. Huachuca being as you describe (Huachuca City?), but SV was a "real" place that attracts a lot of retirees, both military and civilian and has some economy that is not related to the base. No doubt it is very dependent on the base and it might become unlivable if the base closed. Livable to me means shopping for things other than what you mentioned , medical care facilities, safety, good schools, parks, community activities. I would move there are a retiree so don't care about the job situation.
Fort Huachuca isn't going anywhere and is certainly more secure than Luke or Yuma. More than half of the population is in the Army, retired from the military or dependents. Add to that Civilian employees and all of the major Defense Contractors, the Border Patrol and Park Service, this place is growing. My neighbor just sold his home, which is identicle to mine, for more than I paid 3 years ago. The problem I've run into is once you turn 65 and go on TFL there aren't enough Doctors.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:05 AM

329 posts, read 1,276,645 times
Boy, if I could live anywhere????? Tough to decide. I think I would keep my home in Northern AZ and buy a condo in downtown Chicago. I love that town but just can't take the winters. We lived there for 5 years and I do miss it. A part time condo there with a primary residence here would be perfect.

So I guess I am off to buy that lottery ticket now. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona