Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:09 AM

687 posts, read 2,955,571 times

Advertisements

anywhere in the states, work no issue, and 200K to buy a home..........
1. Ohio, somewhere with a view of Lake Erie
2. Pennsylvania, hidden in the woods

Never lived in either place, only visited Ohio once. But I've already lived in Arizona, Colorado, grew up playing in the Rockies, lived in the south and lower midwest, seen all the states west of the Mississippi and a few the other side. 200K won't get you much in New England, but in the above mentioned states you can have a great house and land for that price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 08:11 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,748,331 times
The Pacific NW, and, if all goes well, I will be moving to Portland next year. I will rent for a year and then buy a townhouse which I can get for 200k or under. In that part of the world it costs more than 200k to get a decent single family dwelling, at least in a bigger city.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:15 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,748,331 times
Forgot to say why I chose Portland. I love the people - I call them the laid-back gentlefolk - for the most part. I love the public transportation though I will have a car. It's a very walkable city with interesting neighborhoods. I like the liberal mentality - anything goes - very tolerant and non-judgmental. It's vibrant and it will keep me young in many ways.

The Climate! Low or no humidity at all in summer. I don't think I will mind the grey winters since I hate the garish sun. Also, I can easily get to other places I like very much - British Columbia, Seattle, even San Francisco. The state itself is beautiful, as is Washington state.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:22 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,093,578 times
With the economy you can get something pretty decent in New England for 200 now. Or at least put that much down and pay off the extra 50. Nothing I see is as beautiful as New England, I wish it was, but so far it would be back there hands down for me.
It all depends on what you're looking for though, what kind of scenery do you like? Weather? That makes all the difference.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:38 AM

11 posts, read 32,644 times
Well, if you are looking for cactus and dirt, Arizona has plenty. As far as greenery, not so much, but it depends on whether you want to live in the mountains or not. Personally, I cannot WAIT to get out of Arizona. The heat is unbearable (I live in Tucson) - so much so that my kids are cooped up all summer long while they are off from school because it is too hot to do anything outside.
We are currently looking at relocating to the Pacific Northwest. Sure, it is wet, but GREEN. And not nearly as hot.

You can get a decent house for under 200K here, but I would be wary about the area - some are drug and gang infested. If you like sun practically ALL OF THE TIME, heat, and desert landscape, this is the place for you.
Just beware of the lower wages, gang and drug activity, staying indoors all summer long, and border patrol issues. Of course, the Mexican food is awesome!

Last edited by figarocat; 07-20-2009 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: Forgot something

Old 07-20-2009, 11:01 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,748,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeowner View Post
where would you live In the the states and under 200k ? So work is not an issue. The only issue is where do you like it best considering whats important to you. Please tell me what type of home you think you can buy for that 200k and why you chose that location.
Interesting question, Firsttime . . .

Thankfully, I am fortunate enough to live "anywhere" and have chosen Tucson. Definitely not perfect, however, weighing all positives and negatives, as close to perfect as possible.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:22 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,280,647 times
You say anywhere? As a Michigan resident who is considering Arizona ( only because of opportunity) I wold choose Traverse City Michigan before any other of my options. It's clean, it's nice and it is safe. There is anything and everything anyone could want. So many lakes and it's beautiful right there off Grand Traverse Bay. I'd buy a nice place just outside of town on a couple acres and just enjoy everything the area has to offer.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:36 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,459,293 times
Quote:
where would you live In the the states and under 200k ? So work is not an issue. The only issue is where do you like it best considering whats important to you. Please tell me what type of home you think you can buy for that 200k and why you chose that location.
Quote:
So where in Arizona do you suggest I look. I want to be in a suburb outside the main city. I want a newer house and a pool for 200k. I want good schools and safety. I want a place that feels like a suburb of san diego and has some population density. I dont like endless strip malls and sprall. I mostly want greenery. Trees and maybe even a manmade lake . I want to see more than cactus and dirt.And I really want to know how to survive the heat in the summer.
First you say 'where would you live In the the states', then you say 'where in Arizona', then you say 'like a suburb of san diego'.

You can find nice houses for 200K around San Diego. Unless you're looking for a McMansion

Old 07-20-2009, 03:05 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,948,331 times
i would live in northern california or new mexico

Old 07-20-2009, 03:10 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,948,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
are those your two choices vs. Arizona??!!

all I hear about Florida is humidity, even in winter, and lots of transplants from the northeast....and most areas of Riverside County, I presume, are noisy, crowded, expensive, and car-oriented....

Arizona has mercifully dry air, a wide variety of landscapes, wide open country outside the cities, year-round recreation, relatively low living cost, good consumer choices in the two big metro areas, low-key friendly people (mostly).....I plan to stay here the rest of my life
air is only dry in the winter. its humid here too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona