Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 03:29 PM

647 posts, read 3,344,532 times

Advertisements

I'm a fan of the east valley b/c it seems newer to me, and I think it's prettier - love the "hieroglyphics" painted on the freeway barriers. And I like that there are more freeways - 202, 101, 60 and 10. The west valley feels more isolated and spread out to me too. We've driven to Estrella Mountain Ranch a few times and to Vistancia last weekend, and places in between, and everything just seems more spread out, with large empty spots throughout. The east valley is more cohesive - the cities seem to flow into each other. Also, we have more malls in the east valley

One of my biggest complaints about the east valley is the lack of planned communities. The west valley seems to be doing a great job with those and has a few in the works, I learned today. Aside from Anthem at Merrill Ranch, which is WAY the heck out there, and Power Ranch, and Seville, there's not much like that out here. I wish there was something like Verrado, with the commercial, Main Street type of thing within the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 04:46 AM

1,112 posts, read 4,006,274 times
I much prefer the west valley.. and really- part of that is because I get lost every time I'm in the east valley. XD

Really, though. The west valley really feels more down to earth, although that could change with all these upscale developments coming in. And I like that we still have open plots of land, although those won't last too much longer.

Boatdrinks mentioned how the east valley cities tend to blend in together.. And, The same thing applies out here, too. Look at northern glendale and northern Peoria - You can't really tell the areas apart - except peoria reaches further north. I do think that most of the west valley cities have retained their own distinct identity though..

Glendale is recognized throughout most of the state now... Which is a definite change. I remember one time I was staying up in Page.. and I met some people. They asked me where I was from, and instead of simply saying "Phoenix." like I normally do, I said "Glendale." ..They were hopelessly confused.

Was odd considering we were and still are the 4th largest city in AZ. But all that's changing. People know Glendale! WOOT! =D

Old 05-05-2007, 08:26 AM

39,124 posts, read 51,378,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
I'm a fan of the east valley b/c it seems newer to me, and I think it's prettier - love the "hieroglyphics" painted on the freeway barriers. And I like that there are more freeways - 202, 101, 60 and 10. The west valley feels more isolated and spread out to me too. We've driven to Estrella Mountain Ranch a few times and to Vistancia last weekend, and places in between, and everything just seems more spread out, with large empty spots throughout. The east valley is more cohesive - the cities seem to flow into each other. Also, we have more malls in the east valley

One of my biggest complaints about the east valley is the lack of planned communities. The west valley seems to be doing a great job with those and has a few in the works, I learned today. Aside from Anthem at Merrill Ranch, which is WAY the heck out there, and Power Ranch, and Seville, there's not much like that out here. I wish there was something like Verrado, with the commercial, Main Street type of thing within the community.
20 or so years ago the east valley looked spread out too with farm fields, orange groves, etc. Give it some time and the west will loose the open space, too.

New developments in the west valley reflect the trends of today. The planned community/Verrado look is the "New Urbanist" style - a sort of compromise between high density and sprawl. Many West Valley cities have ordinances now that require homes NOT be painted the same color; require landscaped strips between the sidewalk and the road; outlaw "roll curbs" and generally address some of the more objectionable features of tract home development that occurred in the older East Valley.

You will also notice far more landscaping in shopping malls parking lots and wider parking spaces than in the older east valley malls. The higher end west valley cities have demanded (and sometimes paid for) that chains like WalMart rework their store fronts and dim the parking lot lights to blend with the character of the SW and be less obtrusive. They also have more restrictive sign ordinances than some east valley cities had.

I think that all of this is giving a more "polished" look to the developing west valley areas. You can find the same things in newer east valley areas like Gilbert and that is one of the reasons that city is so attractive to newcomers.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:29 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,187,140 times
There always seems to be more traffic delays and backed up freeways in the east valley. Not too bad on the west side!

Old 05-05-2007, 10:31 AM

343 posts, read 554,708 times
Because you commute both sides of the valley and would know.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:59 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,187,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nice Baby! View Post
Because you commute both sides of the valley and would know.
Boy, you are such a "nice nice" person!! What I should have mentioned is when I watch the traffic reports there always seem to be more back ups and accidents and such on the east side. There are more freeways over that way and apparently more people. And yes, I have traveled all over town during rush hour in the past.

Why don't you actually contribute something to a thread rather than going around posting sarcasm? Chill!

Old 05-05-2007, 07:12 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,269,234 times
ice ice baby?

Old 05-05-2007, 11:16 PM

1,112 posts, read 4,006,274 times
Gah! don't bring up that loser's lame tagline!

Vanilla Ice. *gags*

Old 05-08-2007, 01:01 AM

202 posts, read 982,729 times
Default The West Valley is fantastic

I lived there for 10 years, it is great if you don't mind the graffiti, gang banger thugs in your kids schools, and gunfire at night.

I lived in Ahwatukee for 9 years, then the west valley for 10 years... guess where I moved back when I finally had the money?

Old 05-08-2007, 08:51 AM

343 posts, read 554,708 times
Nice!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona