Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 10:30 AM

508 posts, read 1,674,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by topjimmy View Post
I lived there for 10 years, it is great if you don't mind the graffiti, gang banger thugs in your kids schools, and gunfire at night.

I lived in Ahwatukee for 9 years, then the west valley for 10 years... guess where I moved back when I finally had the money?
I lived in the West Valley for 26 years in Peoria, South Glendale, and eventually North Glendale never once did I or anyone I grew up with or knew have any problems. We did not have a visible gang presence in either of the high schools I went to either. I cant even recall any gunfire at night either. As for grafitti it is everywhere. As for crime statistics you are in the South Mountain precinct which was second only to Maryvale in number of total violent crime and total crimes for 2006 as reported on the Phoenix PD website. Granted, Ahwatukee is a small gated community which has walled itself off from the surrounding area and maybe the West Valley community you lived in happened to be in Maryvale but the Cactus Park precint has a few thousand less reported crimes in both total violent crime and total crime. The Cactus Park precinct covers everything from about 35 ave out to 99th ave North from Bethany Home to Mingus Road out past the Carefree Highway (roughly, the lines shift some depending on the specific area) which covers a HUGE portion of the West Valley and the Valley in general. I accept that your statement is based on your feelings and experiences but it is not an accurate picture of the West Valley to imply that it is a thug filled grafitti covered area filled with the sounds of gunfire.

That is the exact type of mentality that caused me to start this thread. Certain people/groups etc. . . in the East Valley seem to have the opinion that the West Valley is some crime filled wasteland which is an unfair, inaccurate over-generalization. The sterotypes work in both directions though as many West valley residents view the East Valley as comprised solely of the Scottsdale elitist socialite type, which is also untrue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 11:07 AM

8 posts, read 23,943 times
I was born and raised in West/South Phoenix, we're talking Van Buren-type ghetto area. Of course, my relatives lived here when it was nothing but grass and a few scattered tiny houses (I've seen pictures) and haven't moved while poverty and crime has sprung up around them. They're stubborn. To hear all of this talk about Glendale being trashy is shocking to me, even now.

When I was younger my mother finally got the money to move out of Little Mexico (so my neighborhood is affectionately called). We moved to Glendale, which to me was paradise. The streets also had sidewalks. There was no loud music playing for the majority of the day. People spoke English, too. It was a complete culture shock just to be able to sleep and go about in peace, so the silence started making me a little nervous.

Then I got older and started hearing people call Glendale, my once paradise, trashy. It was almost like nothing was good enough for these people. Had they never had to struggle just to survive? Glendale to me was considered nice and to hear these people insult it was mind-blowing. Where do they live, Beverly Hills?!

Then I started venturing out of my comfort zone. Parties and events would take me into Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa and other snobby places. To a person from where I was from, they all blended together. Most people were snobby and complained about stupid things like neighbor's trees growing over into their yard or something. Never pressing issues like your neighbor was just shot. For that reason I could never find myself getting into the Scottsdale zone. Too many people all about themselves and no one else.

So the West Valley is my familiar home, though it's a dumpster, it'll always have a soft spot in my heart.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:54 PM

647 posts, read 3,341,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
20 or so years ago the east valley looked spread out too with farm fields, orange groves, etc. Give it some time and the west will loose the open space, too.

New developments in the west valley reflect the trends of today. The planned community/Verrado look is the "New Urbanist" style - a sort of compromise between high density and sprawl. Many West Valley cities have ordinances now that require homes NOT be painted the same color; require landscaped strips between the sidewalk and the road; outlaw "roll curbs" and generally address some of the more objectionable features of tract home development that occurred in the older East Valley.

You will also notice far more landscaping in shopping malls parking lots and wider parking spaces than in the older east valley malls. The higher end west valley cities have demanded (and sometimes paid for) that chains like WalMart rework their store fronts and dim the parking lot lights to blend with the character of the SW and be less obtrusive. They also have more restrictive sign ordinances than some east valley cities had.

I think that all of this is giving a more "polished" look to the developing west valley areas. You can find the same things in newer east valley areas like Gilbert and that is one of the reasons that city is so attractive to newcomers.
Yes, I agree that the new developments in the west valley reflect the trends of today, which is what perplexes me so much about why the east valley isn't more proactive in that respect. I guess, to a degree, we don't have as much open space out here, though Verrado, Vistancia and EMR are fairly far from Phoenix so maybe lack of space close to the city isn't an excuse. I really love those type of communities and think they'd sell well out here. I'm sure that, in some way, it comes down to the builders' profit margins.

I also agree that the older portions of the east valley look very similar to the older portions of the west valley. I tend to consider only the newer areas of the east valley (Gilbert, southeast Chandler) when I talk about how pretty it is, which isn't really a good way to make a point, though I have yet to see the pretty highways I mentioned in the west valley....I know - not a big deal, but it goes toward my feeling that the east valley is prettier.

In fairness, there are very nice parts of the west valley and very icky parts in the east valley.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:58 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,726,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
I grew up in the West Valley because 26 years ago my parents decided it was far more economical than Scottsdale, Paradise Valley etc. . . It seems as though there has always been a rivalry between the West Valley and East Valley and I am curious what people think of this and how new comers to the Valley view the differences between East and West as they look for a home/community to live in. I know as we are moving back from Hellifornia, my wife and I have spent a great deal of time crusing the chandler, glibert area as well as surprise, avondale area. Scottsdale, PV, MV, are all almost or more expensive than San Diego without the benefits of the beach, climate so we didnt consider them.

Her perceptions as a non-native were that both sides of the Valley were pretty nice but that the West Valley FELT less like "keeping up with the Jones'" and more family oriented than the East Valley although she really liked the Gilbert Chandler area. We are considering both areas but lean towards the West Valley because as my parents found 26 years ago it is far more economical than the east Valley with home prices for the exact same model $60-100k more in East Valley.

What about entertainment, activities etc . . . The Westgate project is absolutely beautiful in the West Valley along with the new stadiums etc... and Things really seem to be picking up out there as well as the East Valley.
The East Valley feels like keeping up with the Jones. I only lived in the EV for 2 years up until recently.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:43 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,960,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons View Post
I was born and raised in West/South Phoenix, we're talking Van Buren-type ghetto area. Of course, my relatives lived here when it was nothing but grass and a few scattered tiny houses (I've seen pictures) and haven't moved while poverty and crime has sprung up around them. They're stubborn. To hear all of this talk about Glendale being trashy is shocking to me, even now.

When I was younger my mother finally got the money to move out of Little Mexico (so my neighborhood is affectionately called). We moved to Glendale, which to me was paradise. The streets also had sidewalks. There was no loud music playing for the majority of the day. People spoke English, too. It was a complete culture shock just to be able to sleep and go about in peace, so the silence started making me a little nervous.

Then I got older and started hearing people call Glendale, my once paradise, trashy. It was almost like nothing was good enough for these people. Had they never had to struggle just to survive? Glendale to me was considered nice and to hear these people insult it was mind-blowing. Where do they live, Beverly Hills?!

Then I started venturing out of my comfort zone. Parties and events would take me into Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa and other snobby places. To a person from where I was from, they all blended together. Most people were snobby and complained about stupid things like neighbor's trees growing over into their yard or something. Never pressing issues like your neighbor was just shot. For that reason I could never find myself getting into the Scottsdale zone. Too many people all about themselves and no one else.

So the West Valley is my familiar home, though it's a dumpster, it'll always have a soft spot in my heart.

I've lived in both and I would say Glendale is less about what where you live and what you have. I lived in a very modest neighborhood in a very modest home and many of my neighbors had money but you would never know it. I eventually moved to the east valley Gilbert. I like Gilbert alot but people are different there. I'm not calling them snobs(so don't anyone put words in my mouth They were very nice people but different. I lived on Olive and 51st Ave in Glendale for many years. Once again my opinion the people on 51st and Olive are different than the people in Superstition Springs area of Gilbert.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:02 PM

2 posts, read 6,165 times
Default West valley

we chose to buy in the west valey because my husband was in the Air Force but i have also lived in North Phoenix ( Moon Valley area) The west is more family oritneted and less expensive and the commute everyday is just about the same. If you donlt like the sound of jets then maybe the East valley is a better fit for you.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:29 AM

547 posts, read 1,185,874 times
Before we moved to Arizona from Washington, we looked at both the East Valley and the West Valley. The final decision breaker was getting caught in a dust storm in the East Valley. We moved to Avondale. Here we do not get the moving wall of dust coming at us. Occassionally we do get dust storms blowing through, but nothing like we experienced in the East Valley and see on the news all summer, especially during Monsoon. I like to drive to the East Valley and shop occassionally, but I like to lay my head down in the West Valley.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:18 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,654,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevathadiva View Post
we chose to buy in the west valey because my husband was in the Air Force but i have also lived in North Phoenix ( Moon Valley area) The west is more family oritneted and less expensive and the commute everyday is just about the same. If you donlt like the sound of jets then maybe the East valley is a better fit for you.
I live in the East Valley. How is the west valley more "family oriented?" Whatcha talkin' bout, Willis?!??!

Last edited by JeepGirl118; 05-15-2007 at 12:39 AM..

Old 05-15-2007, 09:54 AM

343 posts, read 553,018 times
She meant it's more family oriented for the non diva type like herself, I'm guessing. For my type it's more family oriented in the east valley, and it takes ALL types and they are found on both ends.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:19 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,654,534 times
Thank you, Nice. My 'Diva Rose-Colored Glasses' must have slipped off while reading it. As I say - if you are boring, you will be bored - if you are fun, you will create, find and have fun - no matter where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona