Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:22 PM

202 posts, read 982,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
I lived in the West Valley for 26 years in Peoria, South Glendale, and eventually North Glendale never once did I or anyone I grew up with or knew have any problems. We did not have a visible gang presence in either of the high schools I went to either. I cant even recall any gunfire at night either. As for grafitti it is everywhere. As for crime statistics you are in the South Mountain precinct which was second only to Maryvale in number of total violent crime and total crimes for 2006 as reported on the Phoenix PD website. Granted, Ahwatukee is a small gated community which has walled itself off from the surrounding area and maybe the West Valley community you lived in happened to be in Maryvale but the Cactus Park precint has a few thousand less reported crimes in both total violent crime and total crime. The Cactus Park precinct covers everything from about 35 ave out to 99th ave North from Bethany Home to Mingus Road out past the Carefree Highway (roughly, the lines shift some depending on the specific area) which covers a HUGE portion of the West Valley and the Valley in general. I accept that your statement is based on your feelings and experiences but it is not an accurate picture of the West Valley to imply that it is a thug filled grafitti covered area filled with the sounds of gunfire.

That is the exact type of mentality that caused me to start this thread. Certain people/groups etc. . . in the East Valley seem to have the opinion that the West Valley is some crime filled wasteland which is an unfair, inaccurate over-generalization. The sterotypes work in both directions though as many West valley residents view the East Valley as comprised solely of the Scottsdale elitist socialite type, which is also untrue.

Those areas are the Northwest Valley, although they are not quite as Northwest as they used to be.

Go to any area west of 35th Ave. out to 91st Ave. between Buckeye Road and Glendale Ave. With a few exceptions what you will find is a lot of less than desireable areas and some that are downright scary. Traditionally, Maryvale is know as the epicenter of the West Valley.

Even in the newer developments (eg. Gateway Pavillions) you will find the thugs spilling over from these neighborhoods.

The gas stations in my East Valley neighborhood don't close their lobby doors after 9 p.m. and work from a side window behind bulletproof glass. Go to the stations right off the 101 and and I-10 and see what you find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 01:33 AM

547 posts, read 1,186,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjimmy View Post
Those areas are the Northwest Valley, although they are not quite as Northwest as they used to be.

Go to any area west of 35th Ave. out to 91st Ave. between Buckeye Road and Glendale Ave. With a few exceptions what you will find is a lot of less than desireable areas and some that are downright scary. Traditionally, Maryvale is know as the epicenter of the West Valley.

Even in the newer developments (eg. Gateway Pavillions) you will find the thugs spilling over from these neighborhoods.

The gas stations in my East Valley neighborhood don't close their lobby doors after 9 p.m. and work from a side window behind bulletproof glass. Go to the stations right off the 101 and and I-10 and see what you find.
Talk about "inaccurate over-generalization", there you have it. For the record, I personally know of absolutely none who think of Maryvale "as the epicenter of the West Valley" or even as part of the West Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona