Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 05:11 AM

3 posts, read 21,518 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have information on Show Low, Arizona? We may be moving there soon. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 04:25 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,649,071 times
Hi Chance, what sort of specific info are you looking for?

Old 05-31-2007, 10:26 AM

51 posts, read 276,198 times
lot of wildfires around there...

Old 06-14-2007, 06:16 AM

3 posts, read 21,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
Hi Chance, what sort of specific info are you looking for?
Well, real estate, shopping, community...I've always lived in big cities (San Diego, Dallas, Orlando), and I know SL is a small town, but we're really excited about the possibilities. Any insight on the area would benefit greatly. I have a relative that lives in Prescott, she says no one wants to live in Show Low.

But, on the flip side of that, I've spoken to a few people from there and they love it!! I doubt we will get to go to Show Low to see it first, we'll just move.

Thank you for your help.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:35 AM

999 posts, read 4,526,957 times
I like it around Show Low, just from visiting. While I don't live there, I'm a little familiar with Prescott and Show Low, owning property in or near both locations. The way Prescott is going, I think I'd rather live in Show Low. My wife feels the opposite way. I'm not sure about Show Low Schools. My kids currently go to Catholic schools and I'd like to keep it that way, but I don't think Show Low has any. Even Prescott doesn't have a Catholic High School.

Show Low seems to have a lot of people who get into the kind of trouble that people get into where there aren't a lot of jobs. Meth, drunk driving, shoplifting. It also has great scenery, close to the national forest, not far from the Blue Range Prmitive Area, Greer, Nutrioso, Alpine..There are huge Elk all over the place, bear, all kinds of other critters. You can still get a nice lot or a few acres for a lot less than you can around Prescott. The area is also growing and there's already a Lowes there. I don't think places like Lowes come to an area they don't believe will be growing. They spend a lot of dough on market research before they invest in a new market.

Here's the Show Low paper:
WMICentral - News - Top Stories

People were friendly enough to me when I was there. While eating at a local restaurant, I met a couple who invited me to their house afterward and showed me around. That would NEVER happen where I live. If these nice people hadn't been in their 60's, I would have suspected there was a 6'2", 250pound monster waiting in the closet to jump me and take my wallet.

Show Low has an indoor swimming pool. I think it costs 3 bucks a day. I really think it's the kind of place where you have to actually RAISE your kids. There's a concept, huh? While there are organized things for kids to do, school sports, etc, the real beauty of Show Low is that you can spend an endless amount of time with your kids in the woods, fishing, hunting, hiking, exploring etc. But by the same token, if you DON'T spend time with your kids, there are plenty of opportunities in all that free space for them to get into trouble from boredom. I guess it's like that anywhere, but probably to a little bit greater extent in a smaller mountain resort (Pinetop/Lakeside), retirement, mountain town. Just my impression though, I could be wrong.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:12 AM

17 posts, read 95,579 times
My Inlaws live in Show Low. It's a great place for them since they are retired. Naturally its a beautiful place. Great lakes, scenic vistas, and excellent forests. They used to get good snow in the winter. Not so much lately. The summers are really nice compared to the Valley. There aren't many jobs other than retail or tourism. They have a Wal-Mart for shopping. I'm not sure if they have a Mall.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:13 AM

412 posts, read 958,018 times
I strongly recommend that you visit Show Low and its surrounding communities before you move here and take a good hard look around. Generally people either seem to love it or hate it here... there doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground. You don't want to find out that you fall into the latter category AFTER you've moved here.

The Show Low area has some of the advantages of small-town rural living and some of the pitfalls of the same. A lot of bored teenagers end up in trouble with alcohol/meth/petty crime, which can be a challenge for a family with kids. By the same token, there is a lot to do for those involved in their kids' lives, i.e. outdoor fun and cultural events. Property is still fairly affordable as compared to the rest of Arizona, but it is going up. Not much in the way of major shopping. There's a Super Wal-Mart, a Home Depot, a few Safeways and a few strip malls, one of which contains a Sears. That's about it.

Pluses: Lots of trees, fresh air, opportunities for hiking, skiing, hunting, boating and some interesting Mom and Pop shops. Four-season climate with snow in the winter and relatively mild summers. Lots of wildlife.

Minuses: High unemployment, big meth problem, a lot of property crime and DUIs, very high wildfire danger in the summer. Winters can be somewhat harsh (how harsh depends on where exactly you are... toward Lakeside-Pinetop it gets colder and snowier, toward Snowflake not so much) and it tends to be quite windy.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:53 PM

4 posts, read 18,670 times
Default Elks Lodge in Show Low

Can anyone give me info on the Elks Lodge in Show Low? I am interested in activities such as dancing, bingo. I will be moving the first of Dec to a small home. I just retired and do have young family there but would like to meet others my age for friendships & activities.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:59 PM

999 posts, read 4,526,957 times
Quote:
A lot of bored teenagers end up in trouble with alcohol/meth/petty crime, which can be a challenge for a family with kids.
Outside of Leave it to Beaver, is there any town of any size that doesn't have a lot of bored teenagers?

Old 11-19-2007, 05:07 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
Outside of Leave it to Beaver, is there any town of any size that doesn't have a lot of bored teenagers?

Actually, near Spencer, Oklahoma there are a lot of nice areas. Theres a town that their rush hour traffic consists of about 10 cars!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona