Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 02:03 PM

2,786 posts, read 7,447,459 times

Advertisements

Regarding the comparison of Arizona to Oregon, it's true that Oregon votes Democratic more often and has a more progressive image, but it would not be correct to say that Oregon is always more liberal. In 2004, Oregon voters joined voters in several other states in passing an amendment banning gay marriage. In 2006, Arizona become the first state in the nation in which voters rejected such an amendment. Whether you think this is progressive or not depends on your view of this highly controversial issue, but in this case Arizona unexpectedly "outliberaled" Oregon.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:37 PM

615 posts, read 1,374,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Hi folks I am definantly liberal in most ways and want to live in a place where there is a progressive and open-minded commmunity. Preferably mature adults and not college kids though. Basically I don't want a lot of ignorance, racism, machoism, judgement or other stereotypical redneck things that we all know and love.
Arizona is a progressive and open-minded state that attracts new residents and visitors from all over the USA and other countries of the world. As a result, Arizona is one of the two fastest-growing states in the USA. Compared to other states in the USA, there is far less "ignorance, racism, machoism, judgement or other stereotypical redneck things" (whatever that means). Obviously, a state that in 1992 was the first in the USA to approve Martin Luther King Day as a holiday by voter referendum is not racist, and a state in which three out of the last four governors are women is definitely not characterized by "machoism." In 1999, the top five elected statewide executive officials in Arizona were women.

I don't see where there is much "stereotypical redneck things" unless you consider that the Phoenix area has a popular NASCAR track and there are several rodeos in held annually in Arizona. (However, my liberal brother-in-law living in the very blue state of Connecticut is NASCAR fan, and the most popular annual rodeo in Arizona is held in the liberal city of Tucson, so it would no longer be accurate to consider NASCAR and rodeo to be "stereotypically redneck").

Quote:
Are there any places like this in AZ and where are they? Tucson has been recomended to me by many people. But how is Phoenix in this respect?Eventually, i'd like to start my own small farm in a rural area. What would the community be like there in most parts of rural AZ?

I've heard that overall, AZ is conservative and has a lot of cowboys. Is this true?
Politically, Arizona is right now as close to the middle of the political spectrum as a state can get. The governor right now is very liberal Democrat Janet Napolitano, and while the two U.S. Senators, Jon Kyl and John McCain, are both Republicans, Kyl is considered to a moderately conservative Republican but McCain is probably the most liberal Republican member of the U.S. Senate from outside the Northeast. In the 2008 Presidential election, Arizona is viewed as one of the leading swing states by both major political parties.

It is generally true that rural areas are more conservative than urban areas. Exceptions are expensive, touristy areas like Sedona, where outsiders with lots of money have displaced the long-time residents, or poor rural areas dominated by minorities (i.e. Indian reservations and Mexican border communities).

There aren't many cowboys in Arizona. However, what do you have against cowboys? Cowboys are among the most honorable, chivalrous, honest and ethical people that one could meet.

Quote:
I am deciding between AZ, Las Vegas, Nevada and Portland Oregon. I love to feel of Portland but NOT the cold weather! Thus I am torn between the Pacific Northwest and Southwest. I currently live in the woods in Northern California.
Quote:
If any of you all can tell me what the people, culture and vibe are like that would be great. What do people do for fun in AZ? Basically i'd like to figure out what the society and culture is all about.
Thanks a lot.
We don't have the nightlife of Las Vegas but there are many things to do for fun. Outdoor sports and activities are popular due to our scenery and climate. For example, if you like golf, Maricopa County has more golf courses than any other county in the USA. If you like hiking, mountain biking, or horseback riding, you can do that many miles of trails without leaving the Phoenix city limits, in South Mountain Park and the Phoenix mountain preserves, and in Tonto National Forest and other open spaces around the Phoenix metropolitan area. If you like boating, fishing, water skiing, or other water activities, there are many lakes, rivers and reservoirs such as Lake Pleasant, Theodore Roosevelt Lake, and the Salt River. If you like pro sports, we have the teams in the four major leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL) and other pro leagues as well. And not to forget, if you want to find out if you have any "redneck" inside you, there rodeos and NASCAR.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:10 PM

2,786 posts, read 7,447,459 times
I agree with the generally upbeat tone of the previous post, but I have to take issue with two statements:

1) AZ is the only state to have a voter-approved MLK Holiday only because it is also the only state to have a voter-rejected MLK Holiday. The 1992 voter approval of the MLK Holiday was the final chapter in a messy affair that reached its nadir in 1990 when the vote was split between two competing versions of the holiday, and neither version had the 50% majority necessary to become law. I don't blame the voters of Arizona for this so much as I blame the legislature and three successive governors (Babbitt, Mecham, and Mofford -- two Democrats and one Republican) for mishandling the MLK Holiday issue.

2) Governor Napolitano is certainly a Democrat, but hardly a liberal. In order to be effective in a state with a Republican-controlled legislature and a Republican edge in voter registration, she has consistently governed from the center. Viewed in comparison to liberal politicians in bluer states, the governor would almost certainly be a moderate. I don't fault her for that; she knows how to get things done and remains focused on the big picture, but the left wing of the Democratic Party isn't always fond of the compromises she makes.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:52 AM

112 posts, read 425,146 times
"Hi folks I am definantly liberal in most ways and want to live in a place where there is a progressive and open-minded commmunity. Preferably mature adults and not college kids though. Basically I don't want a lot of ignorance, racism, machoism, judgement or other stereotypical redneck things that we all know and love."

If you can afford it, Flagstaff is the place that best fits your description...except for the college kids. What have you got against college kids? .

Last edited by carecare7; 06-11-2007 at 01:55 AM.. Reason: forgot part

Old 06-11-2007, 02:07 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,998,019 times
The college kids are what makes the town liberal!

Old 06-11-2007, 12:01 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,860,998 times
I'm a conservative, native of Phoenix and Arizona has always been a conservative state, afterall, Mr. Conservative Barry Goldwater was one of the most prominent Arizonans. If you want a more "progressive"/liberal state, then Arizona would not be a good choice for you.

The blue areas of Arizona are Coconino county in the north (Sedona and Flagstaff) and Pima county in the south (mainly Tucson) even though they're not considered too far to the left.

Contrary to what somebody said here, Prescott/Yavapai County is not liberal, in fact it's one of the most conservative counties in Arizona.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:40 AM

412 posts, read 958,112 times
If you are looking for liberal, Flagstaff (yes, it's a college town), Sedona and perhaps Jerome would be your best bets. You'll find liberal "pockets" in most large cities, and the state does not lean as hard to the right in general as it used to. However, by and large Arizona is still a "red" state.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:57 PM

7 posts, read 36,274 times
Are rednecks liberal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona