Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2007, 03:56 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,453 times

Advertisements

Hi folks I am definantly liberal in most ways and want to live in a place where there is a progressive and open-minded commmunity. Preferably mature adults and not college kids though. Basically I don't want a lot of ignorance, racism, machoism, judgement or other stereotypical redneck things that we all know and love.

Are there any places like this in AZ and where are they? Tucson has been recomended to me by many people. But how is Phoenix in this respect?Eventually, i'd like to start my own small farm in a rural area. What would the community be like there in most parts of rural AZ?

I've heard that overall, AZ is conservative and has a lot of cowboys. Is this true?

I am deciding between AZ, Las Vegas, Nevada and Portland Oregon. I love to feel of Portland but NOT the cold weather! Thus I am torn between the Pacific Northwest and Southwest. I currently live in the woods in Northern California.

If any of you all can tell me what the people, culture and vibe are like that would be great. What do people do for fun in AZ? Basically i'd like to figure out what the society and culture is all about.
Thanks a lot.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:08 PM

206 posts, read 939,025 times
Being a liberal myself living in AZ, there are progressive people living here. With all of the transplants moving into the state, the climate is changing. Tuscon is more progressive as a whole than Phoenix, but Phoenix does have a good liberal group, mostly downtown. If you get involved w/ the DNC or Democracy for America meetups, you'll meet lots of nice like-minded folks out here. Good luck to you!!

Old 06-06-2007, 04:47 PM

202 posts, read 981,427 times
I didn't know that ignorance, racism, machoism, and judgement were characteristics of conservatives. Of course, I am an ignorant conservative, so go figure.

AZ is a conservative state, and yes there are still some cowboys here, and quite a few cows too.

Arizonians like to do all the typical conservative things: attending KKK rallies, gay bashing, firing our pistols at random at anything that moves or doesn't move, firebombing abortion clinics, waving our flags and driving around in pickup trucks.

You'd probably be happier in Oregon, it's more like the People's Republic of Kalifornia in which you currently reside. You would be unhappy in a free state such as AZ.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:00 PM

999 posts, read 4,528,271 times
Prescott seemed pretty liberal to me. In fact, too liberal. So I'm doing my part to change that by moving there in the next few years. Bringing all my guns too!! Even the handguns with short barrels!!

There was a situation a couple years ago where the cops got a complaint on the hobo camp. They went there and sprayed some pepper spray around the illegal hobo town when the hobos were away panhandling somewhere. Many people in town went nuts and wanted the cops fired. I suggested in a letter to the editor that the complainers take a few unfortunate homeless meth users into their homes until they could get back on their feet. Alas, I don't think there were any takers. Most people thought the government should take care of the problem. I thought they DID take care of it when they sprayed the hobo repellant.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:15 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Hi folks I am definantly liberal in most ways and want to live in a place where there is a progressive and open-minded commmunity. Preferably mature adults and not college kids though. Basically I don't want a lot of ignorance, racism, machoism, judgement or other stereotypical redneck things that we all know and love.

Are there any places like this in AZ and where are they? Tucson has been recomended to me by many people. But how is Phoenix in this respect?Eventually, i'd like to start my own small farm in a rural area. What would the community be like there in most parts of rural AZ?

I've heard that overall, AZ is conservative and has a lot of cowboys. Is this true?

I am deciding between AZ, Las Vegas, Nevada and Portland Oregon. I love to feel of Portland but NOT the cold weather! Thus I am torn between the Pacific Northwest and Southwest. I currently live in the woods in Northern California.

If any of you all can tell me what the people, culture and vibe are like that would be great. What do people do for fun in AZ? Basically i'd like to figure out what the society and culture is all about.
Thanks a lot.
A quick look at voting patterns over the past few years would dispel any misconception that Arizona could be labeled "liberal." Arizona is usually classified as a red state, and Republicans dominate both the state legislature and the congressional delegation. Nevertheless, the predominant brand of conservatism in Arizona has always been somewhat libertarian, with a bit less emphasis on moralism than in some other regions. In addition, recent migrations from California and elsewhere have made the state more centrist. Unfortunately, those trends are slow to catch up with the state legislature, which still tends to be disproportionately influenced by extremist elements.

Tucson and Flagstaff are generally more Democractic-leaning than Phoenix. Within the Phoenix Metro Area, the areas of Central Phoenix, South Phoenix, and Tempe are more Democratic-leaning than the rest of the region. The East Valley suburbs, along with many rural communities, are generally considered the most conservative parts of the state. As with anywhere, however, these are broad patterns and exceptions exist everywhere. Instead of looking for a place that fits a certain political label, it's probably better to search out people who share your values no matter where you end up living.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:11 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post

Thanks a lot.

Phoenix is getting more liberal everyday with the all the transplants. It's probably not the type of liberal you are looking for but it's getting there.

Gilbert is pretty much conservative. The Tempe Ahwatukee area are more liberal. During election you'll see all the Dems bumper stickers in Tempe and Ahwatukee. I always knew I was returning to home sweet home in Gilbert seeing all the Bush bumper stickers

Old 06-06-2007, 06:49 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
We left most of the liberal rednecks back in N. Ca. Yes they do exist, sitting on their porch waiting for the check to arrive while cooking up their meth.

If you want a "Blue" state go to CA. But I suspect after talking to many of my new east coast liberal friends here, that are fleeing the fruits of their labor and their votes, that you are looking for lower taxes and a lower cost of living. Funny how that works. You will find yourself most welcome by both "dumb" conservatives and enlightened liberals here.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:35 PM

5 posts, read 45,931 times
I lived in Oregon for 27 years and Arizona for the last 3 1/2. If you can take the rain in Portland, you will be happier if living in a more liberal, progressive state is the lifestyle you want. Arizona is about 20 years behind in anything progressive. I love living in the warm sunshine, so I will stay here but my heart is in Oregon and I will always be an Oregonian.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:40 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,494 times
Arizona is very conservative compared to the west coast - its almost shocking, actually. You can be in liberal liberal CA, take a day's drive, and be in Bush Country. That said, the smaller artisan towns in AZ are alot more liberal than Phoenix OR Tucson - But Tucson is the more liberal of the major metros.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:46 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
Arizona is very conservative compared to the west coast - its almost shocking, actually. You can be in liberal liberal CA, take a day's drive, and be in Bush Country. That said, the smaller artisan towns in AZ are alot more liberal than Phoenix OR Tucson - But Tucson is the more liberal of the major metros.

How about Sedona? They have artsy people up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona