Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 12:07 PM

29 posts, read 70,697 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be driving through Arkansas from Oklahoma in late January. We'll drive on the 40 EB.
Knowing that we'll have several hours available, what are the "must-see" places to visit on that route?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 01:33 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLCfromCA View Post
My wife and I will be driving through Arkansas from Oklahoma in late January. We'll drive on the 40 EB.
Knowing that we'll have several hours available, what are the "must-see" places to visit on that route?

Thanks!
wow, of course the first thing that comes to mind is: Crystal Bridges, but it will be somewhat out of your way. It has just been listed as one of the top 12travel destination for the upcoming year.

One other place that we absolutely love is the Ft Smith visitors center. It is an old house of protitution (back in the 19th century) and the history plus the stories are fasinating, not to mention it is a beautiful old victorian house. Because of the time of the year, you could hit some pretty nasty weather. Let's hope you are lucky and you get a chance to see a few of the wonders we have in Arkansas.

Nita

Old 12-26-2011, 05:01 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Ft Smith welcome center and national historic center, Pickles Gap near Conway, The Clinton Museum and Old Statehouse in Little Rock, The Grist Mill in North Little Rock, and you HAVE to get a hubcap burger at Cothams in Scott www.cothams.com. Have fun!

Old 12-27-2011, 08:10 AM

29 posts, read 70,697 times
Thanks for the tips. We'll spend the night in Little Rock on our way to TN.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:31 AM

200 posts, read 682,401 times
Quote:

Thanks!
It's good to know you will have several hours available. You'll need them on I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis. Construction zone will use up those available hours.

I kid. It's not that bad (...yes it is...).

Anyway, you may want to visit Booger Hollow (AR Hwy 7 north of Russellville), or Pickles Gap (US Hwy 65 north of Conway), if you like those sort of touristy things. Obviously, Little Rock is on I-40, so you've got all the shopping places there, along with the President Clinton Library. If you are the outdoorsy type, Petit Jean State Park is somewhat along the way. Of course, in late January, not sure if that is the best time to do the outdoorsy thing. Those are things just off the top of my head.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Ft Smith welcome center and national historic center, Pickles Gap near Conway, The Clinton Museum and Old Statehouse in Little Rock, The Grist Mill in North Little Rock, and you HAVE to get a hubcap burger at Cothams in Scott www.cothams.com. Have fun!
We absolutely love the Ft Smith visitors center or welcome center as you call it. In fact it was one of the few things we liked about Ft Smith.

NIta

Old 12-27-2011, 09:54 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tips. We'll spend the night in Little Rock on our way to TN.
Stop by Interstate Barbecue | Memphis, TN when you come through Memphis. It's been on the Food Network multiple times on many different shows.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:19 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
The Clinton Library in Little Rock is the most notable thing. Most of Arkansas' attractions are in Hot Springs or in the northwest part of the state, both of which are out of your way.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:56 PM

12 posts, read 48,697 times
Van Buren is right off I-40 and a very quaint little downtown. Civil War era cemetery. Not the best time of year for weather usually but maybe you will get lucky. VB is just north of Fort Smith across the AR river. If you get to VB, Franks Italian Restaurant is a very good place to eat with all home-cooked Italian food. They came down here from NY and brought fabulous recipes. They are close to hotels, motels, also. They are on Fayetteville Rd. We eat there once or twice a week. Our town hosted the Babe Ruth World Series several times and have a very fine baseball complex for youth. We also have hosted bike races through the downtown several times. Hope you have a nice trip.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:03 PM

98 posts, read 276,695 times
I happen to be an Arkansan living in Washington, D.C. Area.

There aren't much to see on I-40 across the state because most attractions are out of your way in Hot Springs and Northwest Arkansas.

You could check out Miss Laura's Visitor's Center, Historic Garrison Ave. in Downtown Ft. Smith, and Belle Grove Historic District and Historic Main Street in Van Buren nearby.

Also, there are numerous Civil War sites and markers along with historic brothel for prostitutes and a brewery. I forgot the names of them.

Between Oklahoma state line and Little Rock, there are numerous mountains, forests, and lakes along the way. Be aware of road constructions especially from Conway to Little Rock.

If you don't mind going little out of the way, you can always go off I-40 in Conway up to Clinton to see the Natural Bridge. However, it's closed during winter months.

In North Little Rock, there is Old Mill to see if you are into historic building preservations.

In Little Rock, Clinton Presidential Library is not to be missed. There are MacArthur Museum of Arkansas Military History. Honestly, other museums including the art museum in Little Rock are lousy so don't waste time going there.

Again, there aren't much to see in AR off I-40. The weather tends to be poor during winter so I hope you have a safe, enjoyable drive across the Natural State!

Last edited by UTVols865; 12-28-2011 at 07:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas