Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2008, 07:07 AM

7 posts, read 31,930 times

Advertisements

I too am scared of snakey things in general. But I haven't really seen that many of them here. We have 20 acres on the West Fork of the White River. There have been a couple of black snakes, several green, and ribbon snakes. Twice there have been copperheads in the yard, but twice in 10 years isn't bad. I watch for them, and I have a couple of peabirds. I've seen them chase a black snake. Anyway, it's not that bad.
Now I willl say that when canoeing on the river I have seen several fat brown snakes... they look pretty creepy. I try to stay in the canoe when they are sighted. I give them a lot of space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 07:18 AM

7 posts, read 31,930 times
I wouldnt' be scared. It's a great place to live. We're transplanted too. You'll find plenty of nice people. Cost of living is easier and $22 an hour is good. Other's have tattoos! Maybe not the southern baptist's, but it's ok, there are other choices for church. I would go for it! Good luck!

Old 01-26-2008, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 6,369 times
Default A Yankees perspective of NW Arkansas

Northwest Arkansas is a lovely area that due to its elevation and location in the Ozark Mountain Range makes it a very well kept secret. Much of Arkansas has sweltering hot summers with lots of humidity, not so in the NW corner. Our mild climate has less humidity and cooler feeling summers than where I grew up in Northern Illinois. In addition we have almost no mosquitos due to our friendly bats that come out at night from the caves around Beaver Lake. Winters are also mild with a snow covering or two, however 50’s and 60’s and even 70's are not uncommon through much of the wintertime. Our autumns have the full beauty of fall colors and hiking trails are an abundance here.

Because we are home to Wal-Mart headquarters you may hear negative comments about our area, don’t believe a word of it. I am not a native of Arkansas and have only lived here for the past 3 years. However I am an ex-major airline pilot that knows a little about our country. This is a great area to raise a family or retire.

Bentonville, AR is adjacent to Rogers to the East and Bella Vista a well-known retirement community to its North. Fayetteville, home of the University of Arkansas is about 20 minutes South of Rogers. Eureka Springs “The Little Switzerland of the Ozarks” is located 30 miles to the east. Silver Dollar City
in Branson, MO is a little over 70 miles from our front door and makes for a pleasurable drive. We had season passes last year and frequented the park regularly.

Our home is in Hyland Park Subdivision one of the safest and nicest subdivisions in Benton County and is only 2 miles from Historic Old Town Rogers. Historic Old Town Rogers is a quaint shopping area with cobble stone streets, antique dealers, a coffee shop, jewelry store, Daisy BB gun Museum, Soup and Sandwich Shop, Italian Restaurant, Mexican Restaurant, Clock Shop, Shoe Cobbler, etc.

We are only a few miles from Beaver lake, a wonderful warm, clear lake that is perfect for boating, swimming, water-skiing, scuba diving, fishing, camping etc. We have a nationally recognized bass fishing tournament held annually. The tournament features 400 anglers from 37 states, Japan, Canada and Australia. Our Fireworks display, held off a small island at Rocky Branch Marina is spectacular.

Prairie Creek Golf Course is a picturesque 18-hole course only a few miles through the backside of our neighborhood.
Big Sugar Golf Club is an 18 hole Championship Course that is about 10 minutes north and is open to the public.

We live within about 10 minutes from the brand new Billion Dollar Outdoor Pinnacle Hills Promenade Mall that is home to a PF Chang’s, Mimi’s Café, Malco Pinnacle Hills 12 Theater, Seattle’s Best, Starbucks, Dillard’s, Eddie Bauer, Aeropostale, American Outfitters, Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic, Coldwater Creek, Gap, J Jill, New York & Co. etc. etc.
In the last 3 years we have watched the arrival of at least 5 new Starbucks stores, the Pinnacle Hill Promenade Mall completed last year, a new Harps Grocery Store within 5 minutes of our home opened in 2007.

We now have XNA NW Regional Airport NW Arkansas Regional Airport located 18 miles to the west. 6 airlines, including American and United service our airport.

The cost of living here is relatively low. Although sales tax is high, property tax is very low. Food is no longer taxed at the higher rate as of I believe the first of the year.

As for the people, we are probably 80% or more transplants. There are more folks who moved here from California than natives. For the most part, they are very polite, good people. As for the negative coments about the Mexicans, although this may not be true everywhere, here in NW Arkansas, they seem to be family oriented, humble hard working good people that have a work ethic that far exceeds us so called "white people" my 8 year old daughter says we are pink

Hope this helps to dispell some of the negative coments that I saw, I know that this is a bit late, but could'nt help myself.

Last edited by RCR-X; 01-26-2008 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: WOW

Old 01-28-2008, 01:04 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,409 times
NW arkansas is a beautiful and comfortable place to live. Fayetteville in my opinion is the best place to live in NWA, many hills, beautiful trees etc, and very nice homes. Other parts of NWA such as springdale, rogers, bentonville are also nice.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 9,289 times
I loved the Mountains in Ark,Good place to Visit, Now I was born and raised in Cross County,which has no jobs unless you are a famer or a farm hand or work in a factory in wynne ,Cross county is flat has skeeters as big as a J bird, Im So glad I am out that Place,Evan the Town of Cherry Valley dried up.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:49 PM

564 posts, read 2,341,127 times
I disliked Clarksville when I first moved there, but after living in a nice subdivision there and the low amount of traffic and buzz, I felt safer and less stressed than living in Russellville. Clarksville may not rival NWA or anything, but it's good if you're looking for peace.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:39 AM

6 posts, read 47,860 times
We are just purchasing property in Mt View, AR. I have been visiting this area for about 27 years, and enjoy it very much! The mountains/rivers here are wonderful...You would have to like "backwoodsy" to enjoy this part of AR, but there are tons of people from "OFF" as the natives call us. There is a lot of wonderful hill music in Mt View, and most of the people that settle there love the old country/bluegrass music or participate in it. That makes for a lot of things to do around this area. I am not that bothered about the weather either, it does get hot and muggy sometimes, but I don't feel like it is all summer long! I am living in SE Texas, so I guess I am kindof used to the heat/humidity...the bugs, etc. I have not noticed are that terrible either. So, I guess it is in the eye of the beholder, as the saying goes...I love AR.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:37 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,447,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdd11 View Post
We are just purchasing property in Mt View, AR. I have been visiting this area for about 27 years, and enjoy it very much! The mountains/rivers here are wonderful...You would have to like "backwoodsy" to enjoy this part of AR, but there are tons of people from "OFF" as the natives call us. There is a lot of wonderful hill music in Mt View, and most of the people that settle there love the old country/bluegrass music or participate in it. That makes for a lot of things to do around this area. I am not that bothered about the weather either, it does get hot and muggy sometimes, but I don't feel like it is all summer long! I am living in SE Texas, so I guess I am kindof used to the heat/humidity...the bugs, etc. I have not noticed are that terrible either. So, I guess it is in the eye of the beholder, as the saying goes...I love AR.
You're moving from a low tax State to a High tax State..?

Old 02-08-2008, 01:40 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post

Naw, she's movin' from texas to ARKANSAS, and it don't get no better than that!!!

Old 02-09-2008, 07:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
that is only partially true. High versus low taxes are not as simple as reading a chart, they have to do with where you are in your life, what you do for a living and how you spend your money. A family with two kids, who own a home and make $200,000 a year will probably find taxes in Texas much lower as the basic sales tax is lower and there is no state income tax but property taxes are 2 to 4 times as much. A couple retired who have no kids at home, pretty much spend little on material things except for food etc and are living on a small retirement and social security will find taxes lower in Ar because the property taxes are so low and frozen.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas