Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:49 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,784,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Livetodaylez....I gotta ask.

You are the OP, and I missed your further involvement.

What do you think would be my reception if I posted in a state group where the government leaders were predomonantly black, and asked, "Where are my white people?"

If I remotely suggested that we have a "Miss White America" contest, or wanted to start a network called, "White Entertainment Television"?

Miss Black America.com

BET.com | The Latest Music, Entertainment, and Celebrity News and Fashions, TV Shows and Video | Official Site

The fringe will always be out there. The seperatists. The segregationists. Yes, even the racists.

Yes.....*always* be there.

However the lines are not as clear as they were in '64 Selma, or the rest of the south at that time.

Just....something I was pondering.
I know there will always be racism and I do agree the "lines are not as clear as they were in '64 Selma, or the rest of the south at that time." There are still parts of AR that I just do not feel comfortable going to.

I think there is sometimes more subtle racism but...whatever.

I'd love to run for office and I just might. I know I have a snowball's chance in July of winning but it's certainly worth getting my voice out there and raising people consciousness.

I think there is already White Television. There are more white faces on tv than black faces. I'm not a big fan of BET myself and if anyone wanted to have a Miss White America, I wouldn't mind. We can have a miss Biracial America for all I care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 01:18 AM

148 posts, read 350,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearJammerOne View Post
Hahahaha! I really get a kick out of reading some of the posts here. Instead of thinking that the people of Arkansas jumped on the "race and prejudice" bandwagon, is there even a consideration that maybe..just maybe they didn't like his position on political issues?...
Do some research for once and go do some anonymous interviews with the people of Arkansas and find out if they are really the backwards thinking people that you are making them out to be.

Report back with your findings...if you have the guts.

According to the 10th annual Arkansas Poll, 34.2 percent of registered voters said they knew someone who would not vote for a black presidential candidate. This compares to a national average in a recent Pew Center poll of 21 percent. Also, 20 percent of those answering the Arkansas Poll about Obama's religion said the candidate was Muslim, which he is not. This compares with 12 percent in national polls. On the Web: http://www3.ark.edu/arkpoll (broken link)

Divorce rates per 1000 couples in 2005
Arkansas 6.0
Washington 4.0
North Carolina 3.8
Virginia 3.9
Florida 4.6
(Source: U.S. Census Bureau, Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2008)

National Assessment of Education Progress (NAEP) Results for 2007
STATE------------GRADE BASIC PROFICIENT ADVANCED (% at or above)
Arkansas------------4 81 37 4
Washington---------4 84 44 7
North Carolina-------4 85 41 6
Virginia-------------4 87 42 7
Florida--------------4 86 40 6
(Source: NAEP -- State Profiles. Educational Assessments by State. Student demographics. School characteristics. State comparisons.)

Anonymous interviews? My mother received several emails from her bible study group about the pres-elect being a Muslim and urging her to vote for the only Christian candidate on the ballot. My husband's aunt has repeatedly expressed frustration that the males she works with (a Christian org.) are unable to fathom that a woman is capable of doing something other than raising children, as their spouses do. I graduated from HS in NWA. My husband lived in Arkansas up until the day he left for basic training. Our family still lives there. We know it well. No interviews required.

And bluesy, we will enjoy the coasts, thanks...mMy family and the other national merit finalists I graduated with who fled the state right along with me. We hear Sigonella is lovely.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:46 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,139 times
"I think there is already White Television. There are more white faces on tv than black faces. "

Why would there not be more white faces on TV ??? What is the percentage of whites and blacks in the U.S.? Actually I have noticed that the black faces on TV are more than the percent of blacks versus whites!

Old 11-15-2008, 08:15 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,267,874 times
Bringing things back on topic...

From the bottom of the first article:

"Black leaders in the state say both parties need to do a better job of recruiting black candidates who can run for higher office and win. If not, the state could suffer economically as much as politically, they say."

"That's why we're having a migration out of Arkansas of talented young black professionals," Griffen said. "They don't see an opportunity for real long-term progress in public policy involvement if they stay here in this state."

Hmmm...I'd agree with the first paragraph of that statement. I don't care who you are or anything about your ethnic heritage - if you have my ideals, you will have my vote. We all vote on our own personal belief system and principles....black, white or purple, though, you'd better be squeaky clean. I'm willing to overlook some of the arrogance of youth, but not the brashness of adulthood.

If there is anyone leaving the state for lack of opportunity in public policy involvement before they even try running for office, then whose fault is that?

Old 11-15-2008, 08:26 AM

4 posts, read 13,925 times
Hmmmm....

Old 11-15-2008, 08:40 AM

731 posts, read 1,367,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
"I think there is already White Television. There are more white faces on tv than black faces. "

Why would there not be more white faces on TV ??? What is the percentage of whites and blacks in the U.S.? Actually I have noticed that the black faces on TV are more than the percent of blacks versus whites!
They don't make great shows like "Sanford and Son" anymore. I'd rather be shot than to get treatment from anyone on "Grey's Anatomy" if I was hopitalized in Seattle. What's up with all the whining?

Old 11-15-2008, 08:52 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,784,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post

I have no problem with there being more white faces on tv.
At the end of the day, my self esteem will not be negatively impacted because I see more white people on tv than black people. I really don't care.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:26 PM

148 posts, read 350,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
If there is anyone leaving the state for lack of opportunity in public policy involvement before they even try running for office, then whose fault is that?
If you (the society as a whole) foster an environment that makes it clear to young people of all ethnicities, throughout their grade school years, that tolerance is a vice and closed-mindedness a virtue then it's your fault. There's a serious brain drain in most of Arkansas and acknowledging that fact brings you one step closer to finding a solution. No one's going to stick around post graduation in the hope of people changing the society as a whole. Better to not waste your time and instead find a culture and climate that's already receptive.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Larry Elder

The Official Website Of Larry Elder

Ever heard that guy's radio show?

He's an attorney that has a syndicated show.

He's high on my "Top ten I wanna meet" list.

I would campaign for him for any office.
My brother lives in So California and get him all the time, thinks he is the best there is....

Nita

Old 11-15-2008, 02:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezyone View Post
How can you get people to run for state or federal office if you can't even keep your best and brightest in the state?

My DH is active duty military and we're being transferred back to AR for a recruiting tour next month. If we didn't have family in the area, there's no way we'd be going back. As young black professionals and master's degree-holders, we want our children to be in an environment with schools of diversity and rigor, one that pays more than lip service to Christianity and Christian values (hello high divorce rates). As soon as our tour's up and we've satisfied the relatives, we'll be headed right back to Europe or the one of the coasts.

C'mon folks, get real. JC Watts couldn't even win in Arkansas these days. His education and command of the English language would be viewed as a threat to the state's less gifted citizens. Both parties, dems and republicans, would put up a white person with similar qualifications in the primary and watch voters flock to the face they're most familiar with. There's a reason why Hillary, based on her experiences in Arkansas politics, said Barack couldn't win.

Until the state can successfully grow and keep young talent within it's borders by lessening the grip of right-wing do-as-I-say religion, you'll never see ethnic diversity on the ballot.
It is sad you have this attitude, but I am sure no one will change you..The question asked indicated whites in Ar are all predudice, I, for one gave the name of one black I could vote for in a heart beat...No one asked if he could win in AR..As has been said, if none run how do we know who can and can not win...

As for ring wing, do as I say religious fanatics only, please don't group all republicans in that catagory...That is unfair and certainly far from the truth...

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas