Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:24 AM

511 posts, read 799,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I would probably disagree with you on this. Yes, ARK has lots of rednecks, but so do most middle sized states including NE, MO, Ms, WV, and yes, certainly Texas just to mention a few. You don't see it in Texas because they have so many large cities, but go to the smaller towns, accepting people who are a little different is hard for many who have not been exposed to this element of life. Of course this isn't what the OP is complaining about, he doesn't like anything that is differert from what he grew up with in Texas...

Nita

That's not true. I just haven't encountered many positives if any since I moved here. I grew up in a small town with plenty of rednecks. But you know ,they are nice people, go out of their way to be friendly and help their neighbors.

Here, I've only encountered people who are rude, loud, stuck up, and don't smile very much. Case in point, yesterday. I was on Highway 5, and I didnt realize that my lane was about to end so I quickly sped up and merged over. Apparently, this really ticked off the driver behind me, and this jerk literally laid on his horn for a full minute. I started to get very nervous that this guy might ram me or something. I've been honked at more times here than ever in Texas. Good grief.

Maybe it's the economy that has everyone on edge, but that was just ridiculous.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
That's not true. I just haven't encountered many positives if any since I moved here. I grew up in a small town with plenty of rednecks. But you know ,they are nice people, go out of their way to be friendly and help their neighbors.

Here, I've only encountered people who are rude, loud, stuck up, and don't smile very much. Case in point, yesterday. I was on Highway 5, and I didnt realize that my lane was about to end so I quickly sped up and merged over. Apparently, this really ticked off the driver behind me, and this jerk literally laid on his horn for a full minute. I started to get very nervous that this guy might ram me or something. I've been honked at more times here than ever in Texas. Good grief.

Maybe it's the economy that has everyone on edge, but that was just ridiculous.
I agree Rednecks are good people, even with their not always popular views, that is one thing we love about here, as for your experience yesterday, did it occur to you, to let another car pass before you sped up. Normally when a lane is ending there is enough notice if you are paying attention. NO, maybe this person shouldn't have laid on his horn, and yet, I get the idea 1-you are looking for things to gripe about and 2-it is your way or no way.

Nita

Old 02-22-2009, 01:49 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post

I didnt realize that my lane was about to end so I quickly sped up and merged over
You're in Little Rock, right? To judge AR by LR is kind of like going to Sonic and then saying you now know hamburgers.

I don't like driving in LR, but I reckon I've driven worse.

In the areas I've traveled around here, the custom for merging in a situation like yours is to slow, put your turn signal on, and somebody then slows and signals you in, after which you give a little wave and mouth the word "thanks".

Yes, it works.

Yes, I have been both the merger and mergee numerous times.

There's a lot of "Slower drivers use right lane" roads around here. I see it as, "Hey....RogMar...this is your lane".

Never had a problem.

I'll bet it's cause they *know* you're from Texas.

BTW, Houston's got like 17 cases of jobs on their pallet, and that's a long way from Arkansas.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:16 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,913,507 times
I have a question for you natives about the driver's license. I do not have a birth certificate (honest). What my parents were given was a "delayed certificate of birth." Apparently the small hospital in which I was born burned down shortly after my birth (probably cuz they had ME!). I only found this out after trying to get a passport back in the mid 80s.

After jumping through enormous hoops, I was able to get a passport, which I have kept current to this day.

From what I understand, an active passport is as good as a birth certificate because one has to prove they were born in the US to get a passport (of course this doesn't apply to those who gained citizenship).

If I were to move to Arkansas, would I not be able to get a driver's license?

BTW, I have tried and tried to get a birth certificate but it is out of the question. This I know.

PS. My passport has been sufficient for me to get two Secret security clearances in my life; the latest as recent as last year.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:15 AM

570 posts, read 1,582,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I have a question for you natives about the driver's license. I do not have a birth certificate (honest). What my parents were given was a "delayed certificate of birth." Apparently the small hospital in which I was born burned down shortly after my birth (probably cuz they had ME!). I only found this out after trying to get a passport back in the mid 80s.

After jumping through enormous hoops, I was able to get a passport, which I have kept current to this day.

From what I understand, an active passport is as good as a birth certificate because one has to prove they were born in the US to get a passport (of course this doesn't apply to those who gained citizenship).

BTW, I have tried and tried to get a birth certificate but it is out of the question. This I know.

PS. My passport has been sufficient for me to get two Secret security clearances in my life; the latest as recent as last year.
Your passport is all you need to get your driver's license, You are good to go.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:39 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Quote:

Most places...it's the county courthouse that issues the Birth Certificate. Did this not happen in your case? Man...that's a weird situation.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:

A passport is even better than a birth certificate.

Nita

Old 02-23-2009, 07:08 AM

Thanks all. I thought that a passport was better since I've used it to get secret level clearances to work in government high security areas. The situation with my birth certificate is certainly odd; I never did get full resolution on why but I tried, tried, tried.

BTW, I'd love to live in Arkansas. Although Texas has been good to us and we like the city in which we live, the rat race of the big city is just getting to me. I'm an Okie country boy anyway.

Actually, I did live in Arkansas back when I was 22 (Danville).

Old 02-23-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks all. I thought that a passport was better since I've used it to get secret level clearances to work in government high security areas. The situation with my birth certificate is certainly odd; I never did get full resolution on why but I tried, tried, tried.

BTW, I'd love to live in Arkansas. Although Texas has been good to us and we like the city in which we live, the rat race of the big city is just getting to me. I'm an Okie country boy anyway.

Actually, I did live in Arkansas back when I was 22 (Danville).
what city do you live in? Our daughter is in Highland Village, and we have friends in Flower Mound, and the surrounding small towns, I used to work in Carrollton as well as SouthLake.

Nita

Old 02-23-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
what city do you live in? Our daughter is in Highland Village, and we have friends in Flower Mound, and the surrounding small towns, I used to work in Carrollton as well as SouthLake.

Nita
We live in North Hurst nmita, near Colleyville and Keller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas