Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 04:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
Are people in this thread really bragging about killing animals they don't intend to eat or aren't in direct threat to their own lives? That says a LOT!
wait until they do thousands of dollars worth of damage to your house, then come here and make such a statement. I don't blame anyone who kills a Wood Pecker..If I had a gun (which we do not) I would be out there every fall trying to safe the side of my house. And Lord knows I love wildlife as much as the next person, but I happen to love my house more.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 05:18 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,056 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGBclwRgnhg

Old 05-24-2012, 01:52 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,161,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Somebody must be one hell of a shot with a BB gun to hit the tailfeathers and not bust it's ribs or blow his brains out, knock out it's eye, bust it's leg......all it has for protection is feathers.
I don't know.....it's just that I don't feel compelled to kill animals. I figure that's for the scumbags of the world to do. Me, I feed them and photograph them and love them. As for the holes in the house, I would repair them. Gee, what a novel idea that is.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:18 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,659,872 times
Important for all to know:
If the woodpecker is tapping on your home then "most likely" there is some type of insect in there.
They are after some bug that might be a worse issue to your home.
I learned about Boaring Bees ( Carpenter Bees) the hard way. If you ever see roung holes that go into your home it most likely is them. They will eat away at your home worse then termites.
If you see sawdust and a bee that looks like it is protecting the area ( very bumble bee looking) it would be them. Now that is something to take care of as they will do all kinds of inside damage to the wood of your home.
The way I am thinking is that that woodpecker is after something in this mans wood....
He is letting him know that he should be checking that area for more then a bird.
There is termites, or some other creature within those walls, worth eating to that fair feathered friend.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:56 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,257 times
Wow. This thread was resurrected. I have moved and sold the house since I started this. All that remains if the story is this thread and a pellet gun.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Important for all to know:
If the woodpecker is tapping on your home then "most likely" there is some type of insect in there.
They are after some bug that might be a worse issue to your home.
I learned about Boaring Bees ( Carpenter Bees) the hard way. If you ever see roung holes that go into your home it most likely is them. They will eat away at your home worse then termites.
If you see sawdust and a bee that looks like it is protecting the area ( very bumble bee looking) it would be them. Now that is something to take care of as they will do all kinds of inside damage to the wood of your home.
The way I am thinking is that that woodpecker is after something in this mans wood....
He is letting him know that he should be checking that area for more then a bird.
There is termites, or some other creature within those walls, worth eating to that fair feathered friend.
I am guessing this is something that could be debated from now until the end of the earth and not everyone would agree...I have never seen any evidence of damage to our wood except the holes the Woodpeckers have made. never have we had the exterminator guy tell us anything lke this nor the guy who gave us the estimate on painting the house. For those who are facing the constant pecking I would check it out with an expert.

Nita

Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 AM

"Here are some quick answers:
Why do they do it?

Woodpeckers usually hammer on houses for one of three reasons:
  • because it makes a satisfyingly loud noise that proclaims the bird’s territory
  • because the bird wants to excavate a nest or roost hole
  • because it is feeding on insects living in the siding."
The above is one answer I found online read number three......http://www.extension.org/pages/34646...ng-on-my-house another article on insects in home siding

Last edited by Summering; 06-01-2012 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: added

Old 06-01-2012, 07:00 AM

Can I add that while looking for homes neither the realtor nor the home inspector mentioned the boring bees to us.
I saw evidence of round holes way up at one home. Later, come to find out the "owners" did fess up to having "treated" already for those bees.
As we looked in the attic and found additional evidence.
Another home down south had the bees coming at us protecting their area.
Looking just like another bumble bee. After looking around I saw the tell tale holes that they roost in.
Just like a woodpecker, these bees can do a lot of damage. I first learned about them from my boss who owned a home that they got into.
Exception is the woodpecker will soon fly away. The boring bees will stay and keep eating at your homes wood.
But, just to note again. I found these issues myself.....No one mentioned them to us. The home inspector also was letting it go as it was so high up he just wasn't even going to cause a comotion about it.
It pays to know what to look for and not depend on anyone to tell you, so I found out.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:08 PM

Don't forget to look for these holes. Don't believe its a Woodpecker if they are totally round and the size of a nickel or quarter at the most.
Sawdust will be the marker to look for.
A bee that looks like a bumblebee, except it is not.
It is not easy to rid your home or shed of these bees. It takes a chemical pushing into the insides of the tunneling they do.
It usually will have to be repeated. They will stay in the same area and linger inside, or return.
They can ruin your wood quite fast and easily.
I was always amazed that the inspectors and realtors knew so little about them....or so we think.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:39 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Don't forget to look for these holes. Don't believe its a Woodpecker if they are totally round and the size of a nickel or quarter at the most.
Sawdust will be the marker to look for.
A bee that looks like a bumblebee, except it is not.
It is not easy to rid your home or shed of these bees. It takes a chemical pushing into the insides of the tunneling they do.
It usually will have to be repeated. They will stay in the same area and linger inside, or return.
They can ruin your wood quite fast and easily.
I was always amazed that the inspectors and realtors knew so little about them....or so we think.
The "boring" bees you speak of are Carpenter bees. They are a fact of life. They look like a bumble bee, hover in the area of the nest, and you'll never get them with a can of spray.

Only the females sting.

If you have an active hole, spritz a little wasp spray in it, and break off a stick to plug it. Problem gone.

Or do what I do and call your exterminator to get sprayed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas