Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:02 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,194,737 times

Advertisements

The land of the future: In Shanghai Chinese students amazed with test scores.
In the article, note the results of Americans. America is way past due for the wake-up call.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/07/ed...ef=todayspaper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 08:27 AM

112 posts, read 281,348 times
I wonder how they faked it.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:30 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,280,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbicon View Post
I wonder how they faked it.
Just wondered the exact same thing.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:11 PM

336 posts, read 909,007 times
Until American students start taking their education seriously nothing will change.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:51 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,572,757 times
I tried this with the "PISA results" thread, but I guess that title was too confusing.

I'm not sure they did fake it, although it wouldn't surprise me if they biased it in a way. Still the Chinese portion only concerned Shanghai and they've done massive work to make Shanghai's educational system good. If everything is above-board this states that a relatively affluent Chinese city that the regime wants to show off has in fact impressed, that they got what they paid for. I don't think it means average Chinese kids are much smarter or better educated than ours.

Average Finnish, Korean, Singaporean, or Taiwanese kids however are smarter or better educated than ours. We've known that for awhile though.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:55 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,629,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I tried this with the "PISA results" thread, but I guess that title was too confusing.

I'm not sure they did fake it, although it wouldn't surprise me if they biased it in a way. Still the Chinese portion only concerned Shanghai and they've done massive work to make Shanghai's educational system good. If everything is above-board this states that a relatively affluent Chinese city that the regime wants to show off has in fact impressed, that they got what they paid for. I don't think it means average Chinese kids are much smarter or better educated than ours.

Average Finnish, Korean, Singaporean, or Taiwanese kids however are smarter or better educated than ours. We've known that for awhile though.
Apparently this was only a sampling of 5000 students in one particular district in Shanghai- for all we know it could be the one district that is the top, cream of the crop of China. I would not be so quick to think China's students are doing better than any others in the world from this report- but the thing to take from this is simply the fact that they are rapidly improving, and of course as we've known for a generation or more, we here in the US are declining, especially in Math and Science.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:45 AM

241 posts, read 742,981 times
Don't forget Canada. Well ahead of the US and UK.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:08 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,218,454 times
I doubt if they faked it. I lived and taught English in Korea for many years.

Generally speaking, Koreans were absolutley obsessed with being 'better than Japan' for as long as you can imagine. They constantly strive to be #1, and absolutely obsessed about English and Education. Basically EVERY Junior High and High School will spend ALL of their available time after school attending MORE school in private institutues.

When I've visited China (been there 4 times), they remind me exactly of the Koreans. Just completely obsessed with nationally being the best, and education being the KEY.

Thinking back 20 years ago, when I use to work in my college library....I often worked Friday night...and I went to a very WHITE college...state school in the middle of Michigan. I didn't know we had any Asian students at my college. But weekends, particularly Friday night, our library was filled with seemingly EVERY Asian student, primarily Chinese, that attended our university. All the other kids, were partying their ass off on Friday night, and had no interest in opening a college textbook until SUnday night around 11pm or so.

In short, no real surprise here that Chinese would blow away other countries by large margins.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:20 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,662,367 times
^^^ I can vouch for that. Whenever I went into my university libraries at the weekend I'd be the only white person there and all the others would be Chinese/Indians all doing their PhDs in finance, engineering, IT and the like. You never saw any Asians in the pubs or societies/sports teams etc. You know what they say about all work and no play though.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:31 PM

336 posts, read 909,007 times
The U.S. education system needs improvement, no argument about that. However, the constant finger pointing and blaming teachers for students' failure isn't helping the situation. Haven't politians ever heard the old "you can lead a horse to water" adage? American students do not care that they are behind the rest of the world. It is a symptom of our attitude of entitlement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia