Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:57 AM

430 posts, read 1,256,561 times

Advertisements

I lived in a house on the beach in Jumeira from 1989-1999 and loved it -- no tourists, very few people on the beach, traffic was a breeze, the pace was slow, and the tallest building (by far) was the Trade Center next to the Hilton. Sheikh Zayed Highway to Abu Dhabi was just a long, empty stretch of road through the desert -- with only two lanes, as I recall. In other words, it was a completely different place back then. The changes started happening toward the end of my time in Dubai and I was happy to leave before it turned into what it has become today. You couldn't pay me enough to go back...even for a visit. I'd rather remember it the way it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 08:03 PM

53 posts, read 214,015 times
Do the high paying jobs still exist there at the moment?

Old 12-31-2011, 08:20 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
I'll probably stop-over for a couple of days on my way to Europe, mainly to see the spectacle of the world's tallest building (the thing is absurdly tall, like twice as tall as the Willis/Sears Tower).

Old 12-31-2011, 08:29 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,574,917 times
It's too tall if you ask me.. too much money, not enough sense.

Still, Dubai and the UAE in general has done well for itself after the oil was discovered.. if I had to go to the Middle East either UAE or Kuwait would be for me..

Old 01-01-2012, 02:58 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,922,186 times
Dubai WAS the place to be for a few years before it crashed, I don't think it is like that anymore

Old 03-05-2012, 07:47 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Dubai WAS the place to be for a few years before it crashed, I don't think it is like that anymore
Where would you say is the place now, in the Middle East?

Old 03-05-2012, 10:49 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,358 times
Dubai
Abu Dhabi
Doha
^Those are the places to be in the Middle East.

You hear the names of two cities in the Middle East. Mecca for religious reasons, and Dubai for worldly ones. Dubai is to the Middle East what New York was to the US in the early 20th century or what London was to the world in the late 19th century. It is the place where people know things are happening. If you are from a Middle Eastern country, and you want to be where the action is you go to Dubai. If you are from a Middle Eastern country and want education, work experience, or any other career oriented item equal to what can be gained in the West without leaving the Middle East you go to Dubai.

However, Abu Dhabi flies under the radar. They bailed Dubai out when they got behind on debt payments, and the thing is despite it being a ridiculous amount of money it really wasn't all that much to Abu Dhabi. Abu Dhabi is the capital of the UAE and a world class city in its own right, but it lets Dubai get all the press because it doesn't need it.

Doha is really the new kid on the block. They are up and coming, but they aren't as flashy as Dubai. This is partly because they are mostly about business and are not as interested in attracting tourists as Dubai is. I think with the World Cup in a few years and hopes of hosting the Olympics in the near future they are really poised to challenge Dubai in the 2020s.

Keep an eye on the UAE in the future too as the other emirates besides Abu Dhabi and Dubai are just starting to open up to foreign business in similar manners. They are doing what Hong Kong did only better because they have even less taxation and regulation on business with a few exceptions.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:33 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Dubai
Abu Dhabi
Doha
^Those are the places to be in the Middle East.
Good post! But how about Kuwait City?

Old 03-06-2012, 02:42 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Doha is really the new kid on the block. They are up and coming, but they aren't as flashy as Dubai. This is partly because they are mostly about business and are not as interested in attracting tourists as Dubai is. I think with the World Cup in a few years and hopes of hosting the Olympics in the near future they are really poised to challenge Dubai in the 2020s.
Doha, Qatar. I'll have to look out for that one.

How about OMAN in all of this? I've heard the people are real nice there.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:49 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
I can't believe Qatar is going to host the 2014 World Cup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia