Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:43 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times

Advertisements

I can't believe Qatar is hosting it period. I hope they're building nice indoor air conditioned stadiums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 09:09 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Dubai
Abu Dhabi
Doha
^Those are the places to be in the Middle East.

You hear the names of two cities in the Middle East. Mecca for religious reasons, and Dubai for worldly ones. Dubai is to the Middle East what New York was to the US in the early 20th century or what London was to the world in the late 19th century. It is the place where people know things are happening. If you are from a Middle Eastern country, and you want to be where the action is you go to Dubai. If you are from a Middle Eastern country and want education, work experience, or any other career oriented item equal to what can be gained in the West without leaving the Middle East you go to Dubai.

However, Abu Dhabi flies under the radar. They bailed Dubai out when they got behind on debt payments, and the thing is despite it being a ridiculous amount of money it really wasn't all that much to Abu Dhabi. Abu Dhabi is the capital of the UAE and a world class city in its own right, but it lets Dubai get all the press because it doesn't need it.

Doha is really the new kid on the block. They are up and coming, but they aren't as flashy as Dubai. This is partly because they are mostly about business and are not as interested in attracting tourists as Dubai is. I think with the World Cup in a few years and hopes of hosting the Olympics in the near future they are really poised to challenge Dubai in the 2020s.

Keep an eye on the UAE in the future too as the other emirates besides Abu Dhabi and Dubai are just starting to open up to foreign business in similar manners. They are doing what Hong Kong did only better because they have even less taxation and regulation on business with a few exceptions.
Great post! I'd love to see that part of the world, and Dubai seems like a great base. I also saw they have a budget airline, flydubai.com, which makes a great hub for the entire region to explore as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia