Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 01:04 AM

51 posts, read 154,019 times

Advertisements

I spent over 2 years teaching English in South Korea, but that was 8 years ago. It had its challenges but overall it was an experience I don't regret. The food is FANTASTIC!!! I also liked the all-night bars and the gorgeous Korean girls.

The schools can be a bit sketchy. I got screwed at the end of my first contract but learned a lot in that year, and managed to negotiate a better one my second year.

Then I went off to Russia, which, although the pay was significantly less, was far superior to South Korea. The people were awesome, the school I worked for was amazing, the food sucked and the culture was incredibly rich.

I say do it. Korea is a great launching pad for new ESL teachers. So is Japan. Russia takes a bit of seasoning but is well worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 03:31 AM

29 posts, read 67,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atethepaint View Post
I spent over 2 years teaching English in South Korea, but that was 8 years ago. It had its challenges but overall it was an experience I don't regret. The food is FANTASTIC!!! I also liked the all-night bars and the gorgeous Korean girls.
I am happy to hear you enjoyed the life in Korea.

Quote:
I say do it. Korea is a great launching pad for new ESL teachers. So is Japan. Russia takes a bit of seasoning but is well worth it.
I don't recommend Japan. Korea is superior.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:15 AM

183 posts, read 601,476 times
I don't think anywhere in Asia is particularly great to teach right now. If you have a personal interest in one country over another, it would help. Japan used to be the place to teach. High quality of life, higher wages, better contracts. All of that has changed a lot with their never-ending economic decline. I think Japan still edges out the others, but barely, and you have to add to that concerns about the lingering nuclear radiation problems, especially if you're in Tokyo or anywhere closer to Fukushima. Koreans are overworked and are supposedly quite nationalistic, sometimes openly racist against obvious foreigners. Not that some Japanese aren't as well, but they tend to keep it to themselves. They are also overworked, just not quite as much. Otoh, Korea is on the rise economically and I imagine that is affecting people's mood there for the positive, where as the opposite effect is seen in Japan.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:51 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJohnsson View Post
I don't think anywhere in Asia is particularly great to teach right now. If you have a personal interest in one country over another, it would help. Japan used to be the place to teach. High quality of life, higher wages, better contracts. All of that has changed a lot with their never-ending economic decline. I think Japan still edges out the others, but barely, and you have to add to that concerns about the lingering nuclear radiation problems, especially if you're in Tokyo or anywhere closer to Fukushima. Koreans are overworked and are supposedly quite nationalistic, sometimes openly racist against obvious foreigners. Not that some Japanese aren't as well, but they tend to keep it to themselves. They are also overworked, just not quite as much. Otoh, Korea is on the rise economically and I imagine that is affecting people's mood there for the positive, where as the opposite effect is seen in Japan.
Actually China is a good place if you are in a big city and work for a university (which one would need an M.A. for).

Old 11-07-2011, 05:49 PM

183 posts, read 601,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Actually China is a good place if you are in a big city and work for a university (which one would need an M.A. for).
I think on the surface, yes, but of course China is run by a totalitarian government that has health standards reminiscent of the US in the early 1900's (not that the US is a beacon for health standards now). The obvious plus being their rapid rise at the moment, which may feel exciting if you're living in a big city, perhaps similar to Japan in the 80's? I think South Korea is feeling a bit that way at the moment. Japan isn't, but they were so far ahead that they're still technically ahead of the pack. Learning Mandarin Chinese would likely be more useful than Korean or Japanese for the time being, unless you're into Japanese pop culture things. Tough choice.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:44 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,917,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJohnsson View Post
I lived Korea for a year and didn't have any overly negative experiences with overt racism. Koreans are nationalistic, however, but this isn't as big a deal as you might think. For the most part, people are happy to get to know you and practice their English. I liked the food, nightlife in Seoul, the opportunities for hiking, and the community feeling among expats. I disliked the weather (too cold in the winter, and last summer is rained the entire time almost) and local beer. Thankfully there are plenty of bars and supermarkets that stock imports!

Old 11-07-2011, 06:55 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
From my understanding, Chinese universities are a bit relaxed about the M.A. for university teachers. You'd definitely need experience though.

South Korea is the same way, in that, if you're living in the country, and have had some teaching experience, it's not unheard of to get a positition teaching at a university.

Mostly it has to do with not enough supply for the demand.

China has more university teaching opportunities, as they also pay extremely poorly. Something like $750-1000/month to teach at a university in China as a foreigner. Of course, that money will go a long ways, and they'll give you housing on top of that. But, if a person has student loans, and many foreigners do, especially American ones, than they usually won't accept those wages.

In short, making it more likely that others who do want those jobs and to live in China, will have an easy shot at them.

Places like Japan or Taiwan though, if you're going to teach at a university, you need the MA degree. Actually, in Taiwan, it is required by law to have a MA degree, to teach at a university. In Japan, you aren't required by law, but the oversupply of well-educated english teachers, you absolutely must have a MA degree just to be considered for a uni job, and usually throw on a bunch more demands on top of that - publications, presentations, japanese ability, etc.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:54 AM

29 posts, read 67,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
China has more university teaching opportunities, as they also pay extremely poorly. Something like $750-1000/month to teach at a university in China as a foreigner. Of course, that money will go a long ways, and they'll give you housing on top of that.
In China, you can enjoy polluted air/water/foods and fake soy sauce/meat/eggs/milk/money/watches/DVD's etc.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:56 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkakdugi View Post
In China, you can enjoy polluted air/water/foods and fake soy sauce/meat/eggs/milk/money/watches/DVD's etc.
Yes, in all of China for all those things for all the time you're there. Exactly.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:11 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
From my understanding, Chinese universities are a bit relaxed about the M.A. for university teachers. You'd definitely need experience though.

China has more university teaching opportunities, as they also pay extremely poorly. Something like $750-1000/month to teach at a university in China as a foreigner. Of course, that money will go a long ways, and they'll give you housing on top of that. But, if a person has student loans, and many foreigners do, especially American ones, than they usually won't accept those wages.

In short, making it more likely that others who do want those jobs and to live in China, will have an easy shot at them.

Places like Japan or Taiwan though, if you're going to teach at a university, you need the MA degree. Actually, in Taiwan, it is required by law to have a MA degree, to teach at a university. In Japan, you aren't required by law, but the oversupply of well-educated english teachers, you absolutely must have a MA degree just to be considered for a uni job, and usually throw on a bunch more demands on top of that - publications, presentations, japanese ability, etc.
As far I have seen Chinese universities do require the M.A. for teaching English the same as the South Korean & Japanese do.

I think the Chinese experience is good for someone young with no commitments (who doesn't have big student loans to pay back) or for an older person who doesn't need to rely on the Chinese salary to pay for their expenses back in the USA while they are in China.

I have heard that life in Japan is very expensive so one doesn't save much.
On the other hand, I have heard that in South Korea one earn a good wage and the cost of living is lower (so one can save money in South Korea).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia