Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:13 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkakdugi View Post
In China, you can enjoy polluted air/water/foods and fake soy sauce/meat/eggs/milk/money/watches/DVD's etc.
It is true that the pollution in China is high, but one can get real meat/eggs/long-life milk, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 05:52 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
As far I have seen Chinese universities do require the M.A. for teaching English the same as the South Korean & Japanese do.

I think the Chinese experience is good for someone young with no commitments (who doesn't have big student loans to pay back) or for an older person who doesn't need to rely on the Chinese salary to pay for their expenses back in the USA while they are in China.

I have heard that life in Japan is very expensive so one doesn't save much.
On the other hand, I have heard that in South Korea one earn a good wage and the cost of living is lower (so one can save money in South Korea).
South Korea definitely doesn't. I taught there off and on from 1996-2008. I also taught at a university without an MA at the time, and the majority of my co-workers didn't have a MA either. (However, I did go back to school and attained two different MA's since that time, however). Once I attained it, I was definitely a rarity there to have a MA, especially one in TESOL.

Japan, however, it's absolutely required.

China is the one country out of the three that I haven't taught English at the university level. Maybe I'm wrong, but the general assumption/rule from most of us expats in Japan/Korea is that it's by far the easiest to get a uni teaching job for native english speakers. It also pays absolute peanuts, so the few who 'desire' to teach there, usually do so because they have a strong interest in China, not because of money.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:22 PM

29 posts, read 67,264 times
Quote:
It is true that the pollution in China is high, but one can get real meat/eggs/long-life milk, etc.
Many thought they bought real meat/eggs/long-life milk, but they are not.

Wait, you say long-life milk? That is one of products that I never buy.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:56 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkakdugi View Post
Many thought they bought real meat/eggs/long-life milk, but they are not.

Wait, you say long-life milk? That is one of products that I never buy.
I am wondering what you mean by fake meat or fake eggs.

As for long-life milk, people in the USA buy that too especially for emergencies or one is going a camping trip, etc.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:12 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
South Korea definitely doesn't. I taught there off and on from 1996-2008. I also taught at a university without an MA at the time, and the majority of my co-workers didn't have a MA either. (However, I did go back to school and attained two different MA's since that time, however). Once I attained it, I was definitely a rarity there to have a MA, especially one in TESOL.

Japan, however, it's absolutely required.

China is the one country out of the three that I haven't taught English at the university level. Maybe I'm wrong, but the general assumption/rule from most of us expats in Japan/Korea is that it's by far the easiest to get a uni teaching job for native english speakers. It also pays absolute peanuts, so the few who 'desire' to teach there, usually do so because they have a strong interest in China, not because of money.
My understanding of university-level teaching in China is that it all has to do with location. Most universities in Shanghai/Beijing will want MAs, but will settle depending on the demand for the jobs (which since the financial crisis has exploded). However, a friend of mine who has zero experience teaching and is not a native speaker, got a job teaching English in frozen Shenyang. And yes he makes peanuts, but at least he gets 3 months off!

Old 11-12-2011, 04:26 AM

29 posts, read 67,264 times
Quote:
I am wondering what you mean by fake meat or fake eggs.
Google is your friend.

Quote:
As for long-life milk, people in the USA buy that too especially for emergencies or one is going a camping trip, etc.
Well, I can't help with those people. Let us hope long-life milk is less harmful than polluted water in China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia