Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 12:39 PM

321 posts, read 533,719 times

Advertisements

Main - Side Views - Hamza Kashgari?s deportation a serious rights violation ? Aliran @ Thu Feb 16 2012
These are the stands taken by the people of Malaysia for playing a lapdog to oilly rich Saudi Arabia. BtW, are you avoiding Malaysia or Saudi Arabia who is doing the execution?
And Mahathir dont own Malaysia thought he "owned" the racial malay party which is diminishing in power due to people who now realised that his divide and rule political policy divided the people until the last election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You really should check out Sabah and Sarawak. Thailand's beaches are great, no doubt, although it's increasingly hard to find beaches that are both accessible and not packed with tourists.

Sabah and Sarawak, imo, sound like a nicer place to retire. The beaches are just as nice, the coral reefs are a little bit more pristine by Asian standards than Thailand, and the nature is far more untouched. The type of tourists the place attracts tend to be of a different cachet to those who go to Koh Phang Ngan (less rowdy partygoers, more 'serious' and adventure/eco tourists). I'm not sure about the practicalties of living there. I've only been to Kuching myself and it was a very nice town, the people are even friendlier than those on the mainland.
The following is the site for Sabah where the attraction is crystal clear wonders which it is every divers' dream. Check out especially the Sipadan. Beaches & Island of Sabah - Where & What to See in Sabah ande this video - Diving Incomparable Sipadan Island, Malaysia (HD) - YouTube

It is hip and hop from island to island to see the real underworlds without the rowdy crowds found from Phuket to Pattaya in Thailand.

Last edited by zinglicious; 02-22-2012 at 09:20 AM..

Old 02-27-2012, 03:34 AM

6,037 posts, read 5,946,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglicious View Post
Effective 1 April 2009, new applicants who have purchased and owned residential
property which were bought at MYR1 million & above in Malaysia are eligible to apply for exemption from placing the full FD amount required of MM2H participants. They only have to comply with the basic financial requirement of FD of MYR100K or MYR150K for 50 & above and below 50 respectively. This amount may not be withdrawn until the participants decide to terminate their participation in the MM2H programme.(All applicants must meet the cash in bank and monthly income requirements as mentioned above )

@ 1USD -= 3MYR

This program is to induce qualified persons who are seeking Malaysia as a second home residence.and differ from US iImmigrant Visa under Business where you need to invest USD500K and employ local residents as employees.As long as you can sustain the lifestyle and afford a luxurious home costing USD350K, this policy enable you to live in Malaysia without renewing your visa for 10 years.
I note you refer to 2009. The MMY2H policy was twigged, I think that is the expression used, in Nov 2011.
As usual requirements have been increased. Wonder why you use from distant years?

Old 02-28-2012, 09:23 AM

The distant year as I mentioned has had not changed where the requirement of house ownership and cash deposit to support your application for MY2nd home program. Dont see any difference since then. Anyway, here is the official site for the latest requirement - http://www.mm2h.gov.my/conditions.php.

And here is the video link for those who want to take a peek at Kuala Lumpur which is simply known as K.L. by locals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeML4PonwAo&feature=related

Old 03-05-2012, 06:43 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
The only concern is the number of illegal immigrants here from Philipines , Burma, and Indonesia which are causing public anxiety and safety. Hence, it is a piece of mind, to stay in gated and guarded community. Being the victim of house burgarly can be quite traumatised
Illegal filipinos causing anxiety and a threat to safety? Seriously?

They are some of the hardest-working people on the planet...usually working as maids and such at extremely poor wages. I've never heard of them overwhelming Malaysia...usually they seem to focus on Hong Kong, Singapore and the Middle East as maids, engineers, etc. Either that, or nursing in the u.s., canada, australia or europe.

Never heard of them causing public anxiety and threat to safety anywhere though. You sure they are a problem throughout Malaysia? It would be a rare exception to their general character abroad.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
I myself am very fond of Malaysia. Have lived in KL and Melaka,but have travelled widely there.Although I like Palau Penang don't have an urge to join other ex pats there at all.

When I was actively researching alternative places outside of Penang and KL found the pickings a little slim. Pahang was a state of interest but they appear to have another policy and are costlier as such to get acceptance.
Some say Sarawak or Sabah are fine but have yet to check out.
I liked IPOH - a very much overlooked destination. But predominately filled with Chinese, and gorgeous mountain scenery jutting up out of the earth. Beautiful surroundings.

I also liked Melaka quite a bit, although maybe a bit small overall.

Penang was really cool once I got out of the backpacker area. I had a friend with a car, and than the island really came alive for me. (Same with Ipoh, had a friend with a car).

I wonder how JOHOR would be...it's one city I didn't look at, but heard it's really becoming a destination city in itself now.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:54 AM

As to this general thread...MALAYSIA is definitely a country I'd consider living in long-term.

I have lived in South America for almost a year, and occasionally entertain the idea of returning to Brazil. However, as you get older, the last thing you want to deal with is potential random violence to always watch out for.

Throughout Asia, I definitely like Hong Kong and Singapore, but way too expensive.

Malaysia is a nice cheaper option that has a lot of great restaurants, interesting mix of people, and English widely-used. It would probably be at the top of realistic places I could afford and would enjoy living in.

Outside of Malaysia, I do like the islands of the Philippines quite a bit. But, you get a bit more isolated from things as well. I like that Malaysia is so well-connected to the world in many ways.

Also interesting to see that with a high Indian population, high Chinese population and a high Muslim population...and a historical British/European past...they have this amazing mix of all the most important societies of the world - india, china, muslim, western.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Illegal filipinos causing anxiety and a threat to safety? Seriously?

They are some of the hardest-working people on the planet...usually working as maids and such at extremely poor wages. I've never heard of them overwhelming Malaysia...usually they seem to focus on Hong Kong, Singapore and the Middle East as maids, engineers, etc. Either that, or nursing in the u.s., canada, australia or europe.

Never heard of them causing public anxiety and threat to safety anywhere though. You sure they are a problem throughout Malaysia? It would be a rare exception to their general character abroad.
Porblems mainly in Sabah because of the promixity - most came from southern Philipines where it is known to be Muslim terrorists and pirates enclaves. Unfortuantely, politicians close one eye because they wnana to tip the balance of local Christians majority there. yes, the locals here are Christians rather than Muslims.

Those Flipinas or Filipinos that in other countries are not illegals as they are selected, trained, and have work permit visa. Here They just swim across! BTW, I have Filipina working for me in KL and give them a score A over others in the region except one which was fired because she party too much.

BTW, I was from Ipoh where it is known to be the best place for foodies in Malaysia.

Last edited by zinglicious; 03-05-2012 at 12:25 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 06:40 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Porblems mainly in Sabah because of the promixity - most came from southern Philipines where it is known to be Muslim terrorists and pirates enclaves. Unfortuantely, politicians close one eye because they wnana to tip the balance of local Christians majority there. yes, the locals here are Christians rather than Muslims.

Those Flipinas or Filipinos that in other countries are not illegals as they are selected, trained, and have work permit visa. Here They just swim across! BTW, I have Filipina working for me in KL and give them a score A over others in the region except one which was fired because she party too much.

BTW, I was from Ipoh where it is known to be the best place for foodies in Malaysia.
My grandfather lives in Ipoh but is from Penang, where my dad is from. Penang is widely acknowledged as being the best place for food in Malaysia and possibly Asia. It was the first British settlement in Malaysia and George Town is the most historic city. If I ever did move to Malaysia, which is pretty unlikely, it would be to Penang, if not East Malaysia.

Malaysian food is one of the best, it's a pity it's not well known in the US (few Malaysian immigrants I'd think). It's more common here in Perth but still there are more Thai, Vietnamese etc places, unless you live in an area with a lot of Malaysians. Curry laksa, chicken curry, roti canai, briyani, Ipoh style hor fun, nasi lemak, curry mee, Hainanese chicken rice are just some of the dishes everyone should try.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:43 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I liked IPOH - a very much overlooked destination. But predominately filled with Chinese, and gorgeous mountain scenery jutting up out of the earth. Beautiful surroundings.

I also liked Melaka quite a bit, although maybe a bit small overall.

Penang was really cool once I got out of the backpacker area. I had a friend with a car, and than the island really came alive for me. (Same with Ipoh, had a friend with a car).

I wonder how JOHOR would be...it's one city I didn't look at, but heard it's really becoming a destination city in itself now.

Ipoh is quite a nice city, but it's no George Town or Melaka. I think the best part about Ipoh is it's setting and the fact it's close to some nice forest reserves, not to far from Cameron Highlands, Taman Negara. I recently returned from Malaysia and we visited this rainforest retreat owned by a friend, on an island in the middle of a lake in northern Perak, just south of the Thai border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia