Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:04 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRooter View Post
In short they don't. But like having a nice Rolex or Louis Vuitton, it always helps your chances of getting one up on your neighbor if you have white skin.

It's all about getting one up on others, laughing at their misfortune and being 'better' than them.

They have invisible pumps here for shoes to make people look taller (I am in HK).

They also have whitening creams for the vagina to make them look richer.
I've also heard about anal bleaching and stuff like that...honestly, I find it beyond ridiculous.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:37 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,464,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
A more interesting question would be, "why is tan skin popular with white people?"
I think tan skin is not as popular these days with white people , especially ladies a lot of them actually carry umbrellas or try to stay out of the sun and dont have that sun tanned look

I see a lot of homeless people with tans because they stay outdoors all the time

it seems like the stigma of dark skin is comming back as a sign of lower class manual labor or low income & homeless

most upper class people dont have deep dark sun tans anymore, unless they do lots of outdoor activities

Old 02-09-2015, 01:08 PM

12,391 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
my relatives who are light skin do not bleach

I think you westerners may be ignorant of this....but a typical family in SEAsia can be very diverse in skin tone....I have relatives who are pale skin....I also have an uncle who is dark as hell because he is outdoors fishing 24/7
The OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard the explanations, that being tanned was associated with being poor. So is Asia just where Europe was like 80 years ago? Pale skin has always been valued in Europe until recently, but since it's so common it wasn't seen as THAT exception. However, it seems in Asia VERY WHITE skin is really valued even today, with few exceptions. This trend seems the most prominent in East Asian nations. I know many of these women aren't naturally anywhere near as pale: in Vietnam the men often were several shades darker than the women BUT in rural areas the women were often the same shade. Japanese women seem the palest, although many of the men look quite brown, and some women who follow American pop culture also dig the tanned look.

I always see advertisements for skin bleaching.etc in Asia. Do you think Asia will follow the Western penchant for tanned skin? I mean most Asians are still darker than Europeans anyway, so it's not like having a tan is that special. I think some Asian women are too ghostly white, and are obsessive about keeping that porcelain hue by staying out of the sun etc.
We have become a global village, it is not that non Asians are ignorant of the many shades of people, it is that now we see everything. Not just toothpaste, but commercials for any product which that touches the body advertised proudly proclaiming its skin whitening properties. When in the west because of historic chattel enslavement of Blacks and the following special mistreatment of that particular "people of color" beyond others special notice is taken. As a result of the colored versus white baby doll experiments, good social science methodology or not the results are known. Such preferences are seen as societies and indigenous people's which have been harmed. With messages like James Brown "Say it loud, I'm Black and I'm proud" active steps were taken by the society to change the prejudicial perception of good and bad. Now it wasn't by Europeans because the preference grew independent from that influence, but they like to think of many problems stem as being that colonial influence so that the now liberal nations will not try to set up national colonial outpost again.

A few weeks ago after Miss Universe one the Korina Sanchez Special K program in the Philippines there was street interviewssegemnt and there was one Filipino women saying how Miss Colombia deserved to win because her skin was so white and thus started the segment with the dermatologist pushing their skin whiting specialty to the middle and upper classes who could afford cosmetic medical treatments. Against that just as the west as has gone through this decades ago many in Asia see the same societal dysfunction that minorities in the west expressed and are putting their own counter message to buying a brand of underarm deodorant in part because it will make your skin lighter

My Funny Brown Pinay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia