Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 08:45 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The sex industry in India is huge? News to me but sadly it wouldn't surprise me greatly with the poverty. I guess it's just not something that is well known about outside India then?
Not that I know of. Not that I go out looking, but I go to India once or twice a year for business and have never seen any signs of a "sex industry" nor have I been approached or propositioned.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:40 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Not that I know of. Not that I go out looking, but I go to India once or twice a year for business and have never seen any signs of a "sex industry" nor have I been approached or propositioned.
It is actually huge, but caters very much to a domestic audience and varies greatly depending on what regions you go to. India itself is huge and diverse.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:08 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,690,848 times
As a single female, I'm hesitant to go traveling in India, although I find the culture interesting.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:35 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
As a single female, I'm hesitant to go traveling in India, although I find the culture interesting.
You could always go with a tour group. You still might get more attention than you'd like but at least you'd be in a larger group. India is a pretty safe country, but I've heard the guys do have a big fascination with white women.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:05 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,690,848 times
Quote:
You could always go with a tour group. You still might get more attention than you'd like but at least you'd be in a larger group. India is a pretty safe country, but I've heard the guys do have a big fascination with white women.
I don't know about tour groups. I prefer to have an authentic experience and I don't want to follow set schedules. I am attracted to tour groups because they organize everything - food, accommodation, transportation - but that's really their only appeal.

Maybe India is safe for males. I seriously doubt that a single female can walk around by herself without being sexually harassed.

I'm not white. I don't really know what race I am.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:56 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,903 times
Remember that most tourists to south east asia are from south east asia. South Korea get a lot more Chinese tourists than Japan does and Japan is expensive for the other east asian countries. Japan is probably not at the bottom if you just look at western tourists.

I have visited Japan, Taiwan, China, Hong Kong, Singapore and Thailand. After my experience I have seen most westerners in the following order
Singapore
Hong Kong
China (Beijing)
Japan (Tokyo)
Thailand (Bangkok)
China (Outside the main cities, Tianjin, Chengdu)
Taiwan (Taipei)

I have never been to India, but it's not very hard to explain. India is a huge country with lots of people who lack the infrastructure required for tourism.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:25 AM

I saw far more Westerners in Bangkok than Beijing. I would assume the same for Tokyo too.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:47 AM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,117 times
Quote:
I saw far more Westerners in Bangkok than Beijing. I would assume the same for Tokyo too.
I'd say Bangkok receives more Western tourists than any other Asian city. Singapore is on the average when it comes to Western tourists, but definitely not as many as in Bangkok (or Phuket).

Old 01-11-2013, 12:48 AM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
I don't know about tour groups. I prefer to have an authentic experience and I don't want to follow set schedules. I am attracted to tour groups because they organize everything - food, accommodation, transportation - but that's really their only appeal.

Maybe India is safe for males. I seriously doubt that a single female can walk around by herself without being sexually harassed.

I'm not white. I don't really know what race I am.
Not really a problem for single females. I've met a Dutch lady who happened to travel within India alone for about 7 months, and she was keen to return for another big tour.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
I'd say Bangkok receives more Western tourists than any other Asian city. Singapore is on the average when it comes to Western tourists, but definitely not as many as in Bangkok (or Phuket).
In Bangkok they seem to be really concentrated in the tourist areas. Kao San Road is mostly 'farang' lol, while in Singapore they're more spread out. Hong Kong would also be in the top 3.

Have you noticed even more Western tourists/expats coming to Singapore? It seems every time I go back they're even more numerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia