Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 01:34 AM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Have you noticed even more Western tourists/expats coming to Singapore? It seems every time I go back they're even more numerous.
Most farangs I saw were at Clark Quay on weekend nights, lol.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,928,619 times
Haven't been to Japan yet but India might get lessh visitors simply because it is too adventurous for most Western tourists. And what I mean by adventurous are things like the fact that major cities in India are filthy. I mean absolutely. F$^&ing. Filthy. People need to prepare themselves to see rivers and streams filled with sh! t and **** from the millions of extremely impoverished that use waterways as their toilet. Whats worse is that you'll see people further downstream using the same water to drink or wash their clothes. you will get sick in India. Even if you try hard to eat at clean places you will still get diarrhea. It is nearly a given. No one gives a rat's behind about washing hands or food safety. You will also see horrible poverty. In Delhi I saw a crippled beggar with a nearly severed arm that was full of gangrene and was crawling on the ground asking for money. Did I mention that it is filthy in India? Many areas in cities look like landfills. Trash is everywhere, no one cares.

India is certainly an experience and one most people looking for a relaxing vacation would probably avoid.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:36 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Haven't been to Japan yet but India might get lessh visitors simply because it is too adventurous for most Western tourists. And what I mean by adventurous are things like the fact that major cities in India are filthy. I mean absolutely. F$^&ing. Filthy. People need to prepare themselves to see rivers and streams filled with sh! t and **** from the millions of extremely impoverished that use waterways as their toilet. Whats worse is that you'll see people further downstream using the same water to drink or wash their clothes. you will get sick in India. Even if you try hard to eat at clean places you will still get diarrhea. It is nearly a given. No one gives a rat's behind about washing hands or food safety. You will also see horrible poverty. In Delhi I saw a crippled beggar with a nearly severed arm that was full of gangrene and was crawling on the ground asking for money. Did I mention that it is filthy in India? Many areas in cities look like landfills. Trash is everywhere, no one cares.

India is certainly an experience and one most people looking for a relaxing vacation would probably avoid.
Haha, that's a good description. I go there for business and that is pretty much what it is, at least in Delhi and the metropolitan area. The outsourced office where I work smells of curry and body odor. You can't walk around outside because you literally take your life in your hand just crossing the street. You will get sick in India - yeah that is fairly accurate for most people. The sun always covered by a yellow layer of dust and smog. Can't argue with that. Cows and in the streets, piles of trash, people defacating in the river and a few feet away people bathing in it. Horse and ox driven vehicles, and auto-ricksaws by the tens of thousands (with the odd Elephant now and then). Beggers, touts. It's all part of India.

However I have also seen some beautiful sites - The Taj, Japour, and somehow the earthy anything goes feeling of India grows on you. I will be there once again in 8 days. Should be a fun time and I am looking forward to it, as much as I will be looking forward to comming home after my trip.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:39 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:

How true is all that in the less densely packed south, northeast, and the border areas of the north? I think most expats and tourists go to packed places like Mumbai, Delhi, Calcutta, and Agra.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:46 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How true is all that in the less densely packed south, northeast, and the border areas of the north? I think most expats and tourists go to packed places like Mumbai, Delhi, Calcutta, and Agra.
Calcutta/Kolkata isn't that popular with tourists, maybe as a base to explore the region. Delhi seems to be the no. 1 port of call for tourists, since it's near a lot of the main sights.

The far north like Jammu and Kashmir is probably the 'safest.' Food is the cleanest, no risk of malaria, lesser risk of typhoid, dengue, yellow fever. The worst area is the Northeast, Assam etc.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:51 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,928,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I dunno, but I also traveled to Darjeeling the scenery is absolutely stunning, but still found it absolutely filthy. I felt like I was taking a chance with my life every time I had to get something to eat. I get that there millions of people living in extreme poverty in India, but is poverty really an excuse to live like animals? Parts of Eastern Europe are poor, but are absolutely spotless. Why is it so hard for India to consider itself a part of BRIC, yet it simply cannot provide facilities to prevent their own citizens from defecating in the streets in plain sight? Many parts of India are still stuck in what seems like the Middle Ages. Tourists likely stay away from India because all of the shocking stories they hear about huge trash piles right outside holy sites, mounds of human feces in the street, and decaying human corpses that can be seen everywhere in the Ganges (decaying corpses in the Ganges in which people have no problem brushing their teeth with, bathing in, or swimming).

Old 01-12-2013, 05:54 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
I dunno, but I also traveled to Darjeeling the scenery is absolutely stunning, but still found it absolutely filthy. I felt like I was taking a chance with my life every time I had to get something to eat. I get that there millions of people living in extreme poverty in India, but is poverty really an excuse to live like animals? Parts of Eastern Europe are poor, but are absolutely spotless. Why is it so hard for India to consider itself a part of BRIC, yet it simply cannot provide facilities to prevent their own citizens from defecating in the streets in plain sight? Many parts of India are still stuck in what seems like the Middle Ages. Tourists likely stay away from India because all of the shocking stories they hear about huge trash piles right outside holy sites, mounds of human feces in the street, and decaying human corpses that can be seen everywhere in the Ganges (decaying corpses in the Ganges in which people have no problem brushing their teeth with, bathing in, or swimming).
The poverty in India is much different to Eastern Europe. I wouldn't call Eastern Europe a truly poor place, India is on the level of Africa, yet has far denser population than Africa. This combination makes it uniquely filthy in this respect. Perhaps with the vast population they lacked the strict, centralised government that China had?

Old 01-12-2013, 06:56 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,690,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Not really a problem for single females. I've met a Dutch lady who happened to travel within India alone for about 7 months, and she was keen to return for another big tour.
What does she look like? Plain/average/ugly or cute/pretty/beautiful? How did she dress?

What parts of India did she go to?

Did she stay in hotels? Hostels?

Old 01-12-2013, 07:57 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Sounds terrible.

To anyone on this board, are there any parts of India that definitely seem a lot less filthy or impoverished? Given that India is so large and diverse in all sorts of ways, it seems likely there'd be somewhere like that.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:07 AM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
What does she look like? Plain/average/ugly or cute/pretty/beautiful? How did she dress?

What parts of India did she go to?

Did she stay in hotels? Hostels?
Average-looking 20-something blonde, and by no means 'ugly'.

And of course you won't dress provocatively in a conservative, traditional country like India. Just normal clothings I guess. I met her during our ride to Malaysia from Thailand, not in India.

I forgot where she went, probably Northern and Western India.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia