Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 08:14 AM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sounds terrible.

To anyone on this board, are there any parts of India that definitely seem a lot less filthy or impoverished? Given that India is so large and diverse in all sorts of ways, it seems likely there'd be somewhere like that.
Heard Kerala is pretty good in terms of cleanliness, at least better than the big cities like Mumbai, Delhi etc. They have the highest literacy rate, life expectancy, and Human Development Index (HDI) in India. That probably makes a difference.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:44 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Heard Kerala is pretty good in terms of cleanliness, at least better than the big cities like Mumbai, Delhi etc. They have the highest literacy rate, life expectancy, and Human Development Index (HDI) in India. That probably makes a difference.
Yea, heard the same thing from a friend who grew up (and is from) Kerala. Swears it's god's country or something like that.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:18 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,071,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
In Bangkok they seem to be really concentrated in the tourist areas. Kao San Road is mostly 'farang' lol, while in Singapore they're more spread out. Hong Kong would also be in the top 3.

Have you noticed even more Western tourists/expats coming to Singapore? It seems every time I go back they're even more numerous.
I never went to those western tourist area, so I saw very few westerners in Bangkok. Pluss, it was during the middle of the summer and it was very warm.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:39 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
To anyone on this board, are there any parts of India that definitely seem a lot less filthy or impoverished? Given that India is so large and diverse in all sorts of ways, it seems likely there'd be somewhere like that.
I've been all over India with family history and family homes all around the country the places you seek are Goa, Jamshedpur, Bangalore, or Pune.

For a large city Bangalore (nearly 9 million) & Pune (5.5 million) would work. They are my favorite cities in India for the very reason that they are largely clean (albeit have some pockets of filth). Goa is like India's resort or whatever-- very clean and attractive beaches.

Kerala is okay. Clean yes, although Malyalee's aren't all too culturally Indian and it's largely under the radar, even in India.

Bangalore & Pune are tech cities in India, each have strong history, great food & architecture, and plenty to see and do. Bangalore is India's fastest rising city-- often dubbed "Silicon Valley of India" and lives up to that reputation.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:10 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
I've been all over India with family history and family homes all around the country the places you seek are Goa, Jamshedpur, Bangalore, or Pune.

For a large city Bangalore (nearly 9 million) & Pune (5.5 million) would work. They are my favorite cities in India for the very reason that they are largely clean (albeit have some pockets of filth). Goa is like India's resort or whatever-- very clean and attractive beaches.

Kerala is okay. Clean yes, although Malyalee's aren't all too culturally Indian and it's largely under the radar, even in India.

Bangalore & Pune are tech cities in India, each have strong history, great food & architecture, and plenty to see and do. Bangalore is India's fastest rising city-- often dubbed "Silicon Valley of India" and lives up to that reputation.

Could you explain what you mean when you state Malayalee;s aren;t all too culturally Indian?

Old 01-17-2013, 11:17 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Could you explain what you mean when you state Malayalee;s aren;t all too culturally Indian?
Traditionally Indians are more so Hindu, Muslim, or Buddhist-- Malyalees predominantly are Christian. Thing with that is, they're a lot more westernized than the rest of India. You'll feel like you're in America lite.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:24 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Traditionally Indians are more so Hindu, Muslim, or Buddhist-- Malyalees predominantly are Christian. Thing with that is, they're a lot more westernized than the rest of India. You'll feel like you're in America lite.
I think Kerala is 18% Christian, which is high for India for not like the majority.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think Kerala is 18% Christian, which is high for India for not like the majority.

Manipur (Northeast India) is somewhere near 100% Baptist!

Old 01-18-2013, 07:43 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Manipur (Northeast India) is somewhere near 100% Baptist!
Yes they're most tribal too. Same with Nagaland, the most baptist state in the world.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:

I think it has more to do with education, literacy and exposure to the West. I agree though, it does feel different than the rest of India but I think it does help being Christian. But I find them to be somewhat more conservative over there. I enjoyed waking up to hindu chants blaring via speakers around 5am.....very soothing. But it does get boring. Bangalore has more things to do plus nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia